Archive for Saturday, January 12, 2013

Snow expected across northeastern Kansas this afternoon and evening

January 12, 2013

Northeastern Kansas is likely to see between one and three inches of snow Saturday, starting in the early afternoon, according to the National Weather Service.

A winter weather advisory will be in effect from noon until midnight, as a storm system develops across south-central and east-central Kansas. The snow is most likely to fall in the late afternoon and early evening, particularly along the highway Interstate 70 and east of Interstate 35.

The snow, expected in Douglas, Franklin, and Jefferson counties, will probably taper off by late evening, according to the weather service.

The high temperature for Lawrence today is 34 degrees, and the low tonight is 17. Southeast winds of 11 mph and cloudy skies are in the forecast.

Comments

irvan moore 1 year, 8 months ago

hurry down to the habitat restore, they have a great snowblower for sale this morning

bearded_gnome 1 year, 8 months ago

was reading the NWS discussion, sounds very uncertain about how much will be snow vs sleet vs rain, but eventuallycame down on mostly snow.
supposed to start at 1800Z, or about now.

50YearResident 1 year, 8 months ago

1800Z ?????? What time is that?

Old_Oread_Phart 1 year, 8 months ago

Gnome is using the 24 hour form and letter Z for "Zulu" time, common vocabulary for amateur radio operators. 1800Z is 6pm "Zulu time." Zulu time is also known as UTC/GMT (coordinated universal time/Greenwich mean time), the time it is in Geenwich, England. Central Time (without DST) is 6 hours earlier (or less that UTC/GMT)

So, 1800Z ( 6pm in Greenwich, England, is 1200 CST, or noon for us in Lawrence. It is a bit snobbish for Gnome to be a radio head on this forum.

50YearResident 1 year, 8 months ago

I havee been watching the KC WeatherBug Radar from 8AM to 12:30

We are in the Tonganoxie split...........The precipitation is all going South of I-35 and North Of I-70 If it keeps up with the split we will wnd up with very little snow or sleet in Lawrence. It has been splitting for 4 hours now.

50YearResident 1 year, 8 months ago

Liberty275 1 year, 8 months ago

I hope the snow get globally-warmed/climate-changed away quick. I don't like snow.

Catalano 1 year, 8 months ago

Seriously...we had comments removed from a thread about SNOW?

50YearResident 1 year, 8 months ago

bearded_gnome 1 year, 8 months ago

Old-oread-fart wrote: Old_Oread_Phart 4 hours, 59 minutes ago

---my apologies OOF, I understand that, and have for decades. that's the language that the NWS discussion uses, so call the weather service snobbish too.

they use Z-time refs every day in their discussions.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 8 months ago

50year, you and I often agree, I originally wrote: supposed to start at 1800Z, or about now.

"or about now" I thought was a nice informal interpretation when I posted.

I know we often miss these little things as we read. hang in there.

have agood day and stay safe.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 8 months ago

still clear surfaces here in north lawrence, and as of fifteen minutes ago (when I was out under it), nothing coming outa the sky.

on weather particular days like this, if you tune your scanner to

121.225

you can hear the automated weather beacon from lawrence international airport 24/7.

warning: they do their times in the snobbish 24-hour zulu time method, too! [see Old-oread-phart above]
so, be prepared.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 8 months ago

Prospector wrote: No, it just shows that Gnome has sucumbed to the New World Order "One World, One Time".

;o)

---lol, thanks Prospector,, he better watch out since I have the Bilderbergers on speed dial in my satellite phne in my black helicopter I use to commute to the trilatteral commission meetings!

funny the assumptions people do make!

riverdrifter 1 year, 8 months ago

Here we go with that Dan Henry 'Tonganoxie split' crap again. One more time: it was debunked long ago in multiple studies. It never existed and doesn't exist now. Next.

Curtis Lange 1 year, 8 months ago

Dunno why the Topeka office even listed snow as a possibility for Lawrence. It was always set up to be a Kansas City and east storm. Here in Olathe, we were always on the extreme northwest edge and were forecast to get 1-2". Instead the storm slid south a little and we had maybe 15 minutes of flakes...yet down on the southeast side of the KC Metro they got ~3" of snow.

50YearResident 1 year, 8 months ago

It looks like I was right, the Tonganoxie Split saved us from any snow again. If you are a non-beliver about the split, just watch the radar when the next storms flow throgh, you might see it for yourself.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 8 months ago

mikekt, you were almost certainly listening to the US national time standard station WWV, or WWVH.

still in existence, broadcasts other info, based on atomic clock, and used to set your atomic clocks.
those radios were great, I have a tube type shortwave receiver to my right as I type.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 8 months ago

nope, we sure didn't get much snow, o anything else! lol.