Archive for Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Sunset Hill principal to resign

January 9, 2013

Sunset Hill School principal Chris Bay will resign at the end of this school year to pursue a career in financial counseling, Lawrence school district officials announced.

“Bay plans to pursue a career in teaching and coaching others toward financial independence through a personal banking system,” the district said in a statement released Tuesday.

Bay has been the principal since 2000. A graduate of Baker University, he joined the Lawrence school district in 1992 as a fifth-grade teacher at Kennedy School. He also worked five years teaching third and fourth grade at the former Grant Elementary School.

“The relationships and daily interactions with children, the amazing teachers, and the community I have been blessed to know are what I will miss most,” Bay said. “My dream for Sunset Hill was that it would be a place where people felt welcome, safe and accepted — a place where children could come to feel known and special.”

Superintendent Rick Doll praised Bay as a “relationship builder.”

“He has worked expertly with Sunset Hill staff and families to foster a student-centered learning environment that promotes student achievement and a caring family atmosphere,” Doll said. “Chris will be missed on our leadership team. I wish him all the best in his new professional pursuits.”

Bay’s resignation is effective June 30. District officials said they would immediately begin a search for a new principal. They are also conducting a search to replace Lesa Frantz who recently announced her retirement as principal at Pinckney School.

Comments

LadyJ 1 year, 8 months ago

Odd, not one word on the LJW website about the threats made towards Prairie Park school resulting in a lock down, high alert status and police cars. Shouldn't the district maybe have notified the paper? Were the other schools notified?

Ian_Cummings 1 year, 8 months ago

School officials have notified police they were concerned about the possibility of a disturbance arising at the school, and we've been following that. But, since nothing has happened, and schools routinely notify police of possible issues in their area, we haven't posted a story about it. We'll be watching in case anything develops. Thanks!

Bassetlover 1 year, 8 months ago

Just today I heard financial guru Dave Ramsey say that the best financial advisors are those who were teachers in a former life because they know how to TEACH good financial skills. Looks like Chris found a perfect match for his next career. He'll be missed!

skinny 1 year, 8 months ago

You have to remember this is the Lawrence Journal World you are talking about. They'll get around to it in a couple days!

Meanwhile read the KCStar or Topeka Capital to see what is happening in Lawrence!

ku4me2 1 year, 8 months ago

Wow! What a loss for the district. How many administrators and teachers will Dr. Doll be allowed to run off! Time for the school board to see the biggest problem in the district.

JayCat_67 1 year, 8 months ago

Yeah, yeah, yeah, Weseman sucked, and everyone was happy when he left. Dr. Doll sucks,and everyone will be happy when he leaves. Whoever replaces Dr. Doll will suck and everyone will be happy when they leave...

BTW, Chris Bay was the best principle my kids ever had. But , like everyone else, he has to do what's best for his family. Best of luck to him.

Mike Myers 1 year, 8 months ago

I was very impressed with Mr. Bay when I met him. I'm sure he will be missed. Good Luck in your new profession.

midwestmom 1 year, 8 months ago

Switching from principal to principle...

Tyler Clements 1 year, 8 months ago

Chris is a terrific principal with a genuine, compassionate heart. He really does care about people and Sunset will miss him for sure. Although he'll be needed in the financial world too as even today's paper had a blurb about consumer debt on the rise. I wish him the best in this transition!

Shelley Bock 1 year, 8 months ago

No one seems to remember that he was a soccer coach at LHS where he was quite respected.

Is this a move which indicates that qualified individuals will move out of education?

adagio 1 year, 8 months ago

This is very sad news and he will be greatly missed.

Heather Perry 1 year, 8 months ago

new york was also on lockdown!! I think theres a story here, parents would like to know what the hell is goin on!!! And farewell to mr Bay he has been a great principal and will be greatly missed!!!

songbird 1 year, 8 months ago

I feel so fortunate that my kids benefited directly from the school community that Chris Bay built. He met all of his goals, they felt safe, accepted and special! Sunset Hill is an amazing school and it set the stage for very successful experiences at all grades, even beyond elementary. We wish him the very best, I'm sure Mr. Bay will be successful in his new career. He will be missed!

bornon7 1 year, 8 months ago

I was speaking to other teachers today about Mr. Bay leaving Sunset and teaching. We do not work at Sunset, but have met and interacted with Mr. Bay during district collaboration. ANYWAY, I was saying how sad it is he is leaving, and all teachers said they didn't blame him!! They then proceeded to tell me how many years they had left, wondering if they could take one more year, wishing District personnel were different, etc. Teaching has changed, People. I am sad that it is not longer joyful. It is test-driven and dictated by those who often don't have the experience in education to make the changes needed to serve our children. Mr. Bay is a HUGE loss. Too bad it wasn't a principal in town who has the greatest number of teachers that leave after one year in her school. Shame!

Duckdog 1 year, 8 months ago

I know who I am calling if I am ever in need of financial advice!!! His 3rd and 4th grade class at Grant is filled with some of my best memories. I will never forget having business days and getting to have a "job" in class. I know what a huge loss it will be to the district. I wish Mr. Bay and his family the best of luck on his new adventure in life!

tlcandme 1 year, 8 months ago

Chris Bay is a tremendous human being, and his true desire to care for all who enter his life is the key to his success as a principal. There are no words that can truly convey the sense of loss and sadness that his leaving will mean for all of us who have been privileged to work with him. But, he is truly following a passion and one that he believes will allow him to really help others in a new way. I see that some commenters have included speculation on why he is leaving, but if you really knew Chris Bay you'd know that he'd never leave because the road got tough - in fact that would only strengthen his resolve to dig-in and look for solutions. He loves his school, his community, his district and has only ever shared positive thoughts on where things are headed. This has been a tough decision for him and his family, and now that it has been made, we can all just wish him all the very best and blessings at every turn. Thanks for everything, Mr. Bay - we will never forget you!