Archive for Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Police respond to multiple incidents overnight, numerous arrests made

January 1, 2013, 8:57 a.m. Updated January 1, 2013, 1:35 p.m.

Fights, gunshots and assaults highlighted a busy early New Year's Day for emergency workers.

Area police responded to multiple incidents early New Year's Day morning, including a disturbance with weapons at an area bar, multiple assaults, injury vehicle accidents and a parole absconder who allegedly fired a gun into an occupied vehicle.

Here's a recap of several of the incidents, using information from the Douglas County Jail booking log, the Lawrence Police Department, and Mike Frizzell of Operation 100 News, the Journal-World's reporting partner.

Fight on Kentucky Street, 1 a.m.

According to Lawrence Police Sgt. Trent McKinley, officers responded to 1121 Kentucky St. shortly after 1 a.m. after reports of a fight at a party. A caller reported that someone had been knocked unconscious during the fight.

When police arrived, they discovered several disturbances at the home and numerous uncooperative intoxicated people.

As police attempted to gain control of the situation, two officers were assaulted by people at the party.

No serious injuries resulted from the incident, McKinley said.

The incident resulted in the arrests of the following people:

• Megan Elizabeth Andrews, 21, of Lawrence, on a charge of battering a law enforcement officer.

• Keith Alexander Jimboy, 21, of Lawrence, on a charge of disorderly conduct.

• Saxon Duane Kimball, 22, of Lawrence, on a charges of battering a law enforcement officer and obstructing the legal process.

• Chase Daniels McElhaney, 21, of Lawrence, on charges of marijuana and drug paraphernalia possession, as well as intoxicated pedestrian in the roadway.

• Ryan Jordan Giblin, 22, of Lawrence, on charges of possession of drug paraphernalia and intoxicated pedestrian in the roadway.

Disturbance at Magic Lounge, 2:20 a.m.

About 2:20 a.m., 18 officers responded to a disturbance with weapons at Magic Lounge, 804 W. 24th St.

"The calling parties initially reported a fight inside, however soon after callers reported one of the involved subjects had a gun and disturbances were occurring inside and outside the establishment," McKinley said.

Up to 100 people were involved in the disturbance, according to witnesses.

Police were unable to locate the person with the firearm. One person was treated at a Topeka hospital for injuries, McKinley said. No arrests have been made in the case.

Shots fired on Iowa Street, 2:45 a.m.

About 2:45 a.m., police responded to a report of several gunshots fired from a vehicle in the 800 block of Iowa Street. Police reportedly located the vehicle, and arrested Willie D. Fleming for allegedly firing a gun into an occupied vehicle.

Fleming had been at the Magic Lounge earlier in the evening, which was also the scene of a large disturbance, McKinley said. However, he said it's not yet clear how or if the incidents were related.

Fleming is also being held on several Johnson County charges, including aggravated robbery, aggravated burglary, and possession of stolen property.

Drunken driving arrests

Police made two drunken driving arrests overnight. Lawrence police arrested 22-year-old Lawrence man Hunter James Lareau about 2 a.m. in the 900 block of Emery Drive after he lost control of his southbound vehicle and struck a guard rail. A passenger sustained a possible fractured leg, while Lareau sustained facial injuries. Lareau was arrested for DUI, driving while suspended, transporting an open container of alcohol, speeding and refusal of a preliminary breath test.

Kansas University Public Safety arrested 21-year-old Lawrence man Irone Mancript Revely at 2 a.m. for drunken driving in the 1100 block of Missouri Street.

Armed suspect, 2 a.m.

Shortly before 2 a.m., police received a report that a suspect — armed with a knife — followed people into a residence in the 1100 block of Tennessee Street. The suspect was reportedly very intoxicated and eventually left without harming anyone.

A few minutes later, a second incident occurred in the same block and possibly involved the same suspect. However, the suspect was not located.

Seventh Street fight, 1:46 a.m.

Police were called to a disturbance in the 1400 block of W. Seventh Street regarding a fight in progress. An individual was struck in the face, then knocked down and battered by several other people. Witnesses were interviewed but no arrests have yet been made.

Busy night

McKinley said dispatchers were forced to hold non-emergency calls for two and a half hours during the busiest portions of the night because of all the incidents.

In addition to the above incidents, police responded to 15 non-injury accidents.

Google Map

New Year's Day crime map

View Crime incidents New Year's Day 2013 in a larger map

Comments

asixbury 1 year, 3 months ago

Just to clear things up: I heard from someone that lives at that house and was there that night (no, he wasn't arrested or involved with the fights). Megan threw a BOTTLE at the cop and hit him. It was not a plastic cup. Even if it were, that was a very dumb mistake made by an obviously drunken person. I'm sure she learned her lesson.

oldbaldguy 1 year, 3 months ago

my kid had to subdue a gate crasher at the air base where he is assigned before the holidays. involved a pursuit across the base to the flight line. guy tried to climb a c-wire topped fence. seconds away from being shot dead for entering a area where deadly force is authorized. pistols put up, perp physically subdued. took four air force cops to put him down. at the end of it my son was covered in blood and a drunk was in custody. he believes the guy was trying to do a suicide by cop. some cops do have a problem with authority, others do their job.

mscynners 1 year, 3 months ago

"jpinkman posted - LPD has a reputation for having an extraordinary number of "internal problems". (In other words, many are less than trustworthy. Not all, but many.)" I couldn't have said it better if I had tried "MANY ARE LESS THAN TRUSTWORTHY" and they do get off on the power trip and feeling of self-importance. I will keep the rest of my thoughts to myself....

jay_cheese 1 year, 3 months ago

Wait a minute, are you blaming all youth in America with a statement like "America has a real problem with its young people". What a load of BS

I didn't say ALL cops were bad but it's naive and false to think they are perfect either (just like the college kids). Wouldn't surprise me to see the injured cops go on permanent disability. That tends to happen a lot too in case you were unaware but I'm sure you'll tell it was a lie instead of doing research. If the police want to talk, then let the cameras roll.... You got yours and I got mine. I anxiously await the followup article to this report.

btsflk 1 year, 3 months ago

I believe two of the responding officers recieved injuries.

mdkufan12 1 year, 3 months ago

You are right no one is infallible. However, I'm not sure you have any proof to back up your claim that any LPD officers have been planting evidence, or stealing from their own charities. Pretty serious accusations to go throwing around. Would love to see you substantiate them with proof. Furthermore, the less than 1% of the officers were involved in the ticket scandal, they were punished properly and are no longer serving this community. Their actions should not reflect upon the honest men and women that work hard for all the ungrateful people on these message boards. I'm certainly glad there are some grateful people on here pointing out how the resources of the LPD are very strained, and getting on here defending silly college twits that need to grow up and respect authority is foolish. America has a real problem with its young people being able to admit when they have done something wrong, and respect authority enough to let them do their job. These party goers are, I am sure, no different than most of today's youth in that respect.

jay_cheese 1 year, 3 months ago

By integrity do you mean swapping basketball tickets for dropping auto infractions? Or maybe you meant the domestic violence charges filed against our diligent community servers? How about he ones that plant fake evidence or steal from their own charities? I respect those that serve but they are not infallable. I hear someone is lobbying for more officers, what better way for that than to show the public how your stretched your resources were on the busiest day of the yr....

mdkufan12 1 year, 3 months ago

None of you have the integrity, dedication, or disposition to be one of the diligent officers that serve this community. Rather, you'd like to complain, moan and groan about how these hardworking men and women interrupt your fun. Here's an idea, stop being a part of the problem, don't do anything to get the attention of an officer and there will be no problem. I assure you they didn't come looking for your party. They obviously had better things to do.

costello 1 year, 3 months ago

I wonder if it was really smart of one of Ms. Andrews' friends to share a photo of her on her facebook page with the caption: New Years 2013. Craziest night of the lives of many.

Kind of makes it seem like it's all a big joke.

Kawatchi 1 year, 3 months ago

If you cooperate with police and do what they say, your chances of being tased are effectively zero.

Liberty_Uno 1 year, 3 months ago

JackMcKee 1 year, 3 months ago

I would like to thank GetALife and some others for the unintentional comedy.

irvan moore 1 year, 3 months ago

it's better to have a cop and not need one than to need a cop and not have one

JJE007 1 year, 3 months ago

I can't believe I read this entire thread. I do love bad drama, though, so it's understandable.

I do think I can take a couple of valuable lessons away from this mess. We should, in the future, be VERY careful about where we "spill" our drinks. I'll admit that, in the past, I've "spilled" my drink (It was water, BTW.) down the back of a drugged up ape, fighting viciously, with someone else in a bar/music venue on New Year's eve. I believed, at the time, that an icy glass of water to his spine would distract the drugged out youth and calm him down. It worked, that particular time, but could have ended very badly for me and/or my beloved date.

I apologize...for spilling, and getting away with "spilling" that drink. Had I been thrown to the ground, even by an underpaid bouncer, I would not have cried out about the injustice of it all. AFTER all, I had "spilled" a drink. However innocuous that drink may have been, and however unintentional my "spilling it" was, OR however noble my motive, it is never right to "spill" ones' drink.

Enjoy your drinks, people, and do everything you can to avoid "spilling" them.

Bob Forer 1 year, 3 months ago

Ten years from now hopefully all of the young ones will look back on their indiscretions with abject embarrassment. Let's hope they learn from their mistakes.

GetALifeQuitLivingThruOthers 1 year, 3 months ago

Yes, everyone loves their jobs and customer service will still be there when you need them for returns at Kohls. Also, lawyers and judges will still be there for you. Don't forget the President and all the other workers out there.

Also, the guy you flipped off the other day will still be there for you too. He passed you because you were driving slow, but he will be there for you when he puts his uniform back on. No worries.

Loretta James 1 year, 3 months ago

yes their all a?? Holes till you need them. They will still be their for you though. happy new year

bearded_gnome 1 year, 3 months ago

KISS 5 hours, 54 minutes ago

I was at the party too. Jayhawk135 and I were playing a nice peaceful game of chess while sipping tea and Megan was on the couch crocheting. The police busted in without a search warrant and didn't read us our rights immediately as they are required by law to. They then saw Megan, who had balled in to fetal position on the couch, and promptly beat her senselessly and tased her. The police explained to us that they were so bored last night by not having any calls to respond to that they felt it would be fun to interrupt our quiet social gathering.

---this post really cracked m up. ROTFL! is this sarcasm? for real? like the PD really went out of their way to harrass these little hard core crochet addicts and chess players who were not bothering anyone. the PD were "bored" ... really? lol!

Matthew Herbert 1 year, 3 months ago

All of those arrested were 21 and 22. Grow up. Learn moderation.

jpinkman 1 year, 3 months ago

The worst part of the ruckus that was made last night is that is took so many of LPD's 'finest' away from their speed traps. I don't know how the City of Lawrence will ever make up for its financial losses from the evening. I don't even live in Lawrence and the only 2 speeding tickets I've ever received in my LIFE have been during the dozen or so trips I've made there since attending school there. I can certainly see why they need a new police station. They're running out of room for the filing cabinets to file all those tickets.

dtown313 1 year, 3 months ago

If these kids were mostly black it would have been a whole different story

GetALifeQuitLivingThruOthers 1 year, 3 months ago

Oh my gosh....our tax dollars were actually in use last night. JenniferMyers turned on the police scanner and heard there was work to be done. Oh my, everyone turn your police scanners on because they were put to work. If it was that surprising to you, then why even bother turning on the police scanner? Obviously, not that surprising. Also, I arrived at the party right before that happened as a designated driver. You spill a drink on the police officer and the big 250 pound police officer tackled a 21 year old girl and yes she was about 115 pounds because we are about the same size and that is what I weigh. Although I may be a pound off .... forgive me for guessing incorrectly. I love how she says she knows the family so well and spells out their names so everyone knows who they are. You must not have much going on in your family household to be talking about others. Yes, she may be trying to go to med school and it sounds like you are a person who is envious of others and was glad to have heard this happen to Megan. Also, you don't know the facts because as you stated you were supposedly spending time listening to the scanner (or should I say watching football and spending time with your family because your mother of the year) HAHAHA. Well, it's really sad how others judge without knowing the FACTS. I saw that girl get tackled and thrown to the ground on her face with her legs wrapped around her head (fetal position) and her hands out on the floor not fighting back. Since, a drink was spilled on an officer, oh my gosh, it's the biggest assault ever!!! Can you believe he had bruises from that drink and he had a black eye and his nose was bleeding. OH wow, she really did a number on that officer. You must not like their family too well....you sound like a desperate housewife....if you have ever watched that (since you only have great intentions in your life and never made a mistake MRS KNOW IT ALL!) That's alright though, cause they are the finest police officers and they are never wrong! Also, JPINKMAN, I agree and I also support the story of Jayhawk135 as I was there too (whoever you are).

Laus_Deo 1 year, 3 months ago

Was there a turkey involved?

jpinkman 1 year, 3 months ago

My wife and I attended KU. One night we attended a party that was being broken up by police, probably for a noise violation, not sure, so as we were all exiting past police through a backyard gate my wife threw aside her cup (to avoid being caught with the open container outside the premises). She unintentionally threw it in the direction of one of the officers and it hit his foot. I had to watch helplessly while my petite wife was thrown to the ground, handcuffed and charged with battery of a police officer. Hauled off, processed and thrown in jail overnight because there was no way to get her out until morning. The cops were snickering amongst each other through the whole thing, got a real laugh out of it. She got out the next morning and the charges were dismissed because no way was this 250 lb. cop going in front of a judge and telling them that this 112 lb girl assaulted him with a plastic cup. Those who believe that our 'finest' are all pure intentioned and noble are naive and ignorant. There are a whole lot of cops out there who serve because they get off on the power trip and feeling of self-importance. I have an associate who works for the KC ATF and he tells me that the LPD has a reputation for having an extraordinary number of "internal problems". (In other words, many are less than trustworthy. Not all, but many.)

happyrearviewmirror 1 year, 3 months ago

Round up all the street harassers of Lawrence , KS and toss them in jail! Start 2013 by making people feel safe. No one but the incredibly bad-faith KU HR would persecute victims for their own harassment!

Scripted, robotic conversation number umpteen million rejected! Wrong end of the telescope, Mam/ Sir. Look in the mirror before you look out out the window! You can't help yourself, so you go around with the holier- than- thou attitude that you are helping others. I report street harassers. Beat it, or I'll whip out my phone and record you.

Notice how street harassers for the most part act like they are absolutely entitled to prey on random strangers? Acting entitled tends to tick people off. They give themselves way too much credit if they they think they are making a contribution to anything except southern justice. The body language of your average country bumpkin screams "incompetence."

Actually, the general public is entitled to be spared unwanted interactions by untrustworthy, insulting strangers who claim they are helping whom they are molesting and bedeviling. Ignorance does not help. How dare you barge into anyone's life without consent or even saying "hi" first? You are not God's gift--obviously were just raised up by backwoods parents to be a clueless busybodies.

Oddwise 1 year, 3 months ago

This is not very responsible reporting in my opinion. Very little context was given for these arrests, and their names are displayed like gossip on a high school bathroom stall. None of these people have had their day in court, but this comment section and article seems to have already passed judgement. I expect to see this in the gas station tabloids

Laus_Deo 1 year, 3 months ago

Why does the government do this to the future of society? Did the government use their APC to subvert the people who were violently crocheting?

BitterClinger 1 year, 3 months ago

"dispatchers were forced to hold non-emergency calls for two and a half hours during he busiest portions of the night because of all the incidents.'

And in this case the police were only 2½ hours away if they deemed your incident a non-emergency. Only one of the reasons why I fully support the Second Amendment.

cheeseburger 1 year, 3 months ago

Hey Fretster - still think these types of incidents are no more likely to occur with a bunch of drunks?

(Fretster says: This also rarly happens in a room full of drunk people. Been to dozens and dozens of parties full of drunk people, dozens of bars full of drunk people, never once had this happen that I was witness to. Go try to find some facts before flapping your lips next time.)

Christine Anderson 1 year, 3 months ago

Hey, there's nothing wrong with having a couple drinks. But I don't give a damn how young or old you are, just don't be stupid about it !! I don't believe the version of the poor little college girl wrongfully restrained. My oldest son is about 5'4", 175 lbs, and at the severe end of the autism scale. There have been times the police have had to restrain him. Not once have they done so with any more force than necessary. In fact, they have gone out of their way to be gentle with him. My point is he is a huge kid, and gets pretty strong. The cops do not "strongarm" him, so I don't think this little princess was so innocent.

Starlight 1 year, 3 months ago

Guessing frankie8 is listed there. Told you the scofflaws would be out and about!

LA0929 1 year, 3 months ago

Apparently, you basement dwelling bloggers never had fun or did something you regret. (that would explain your clueless posts) I am sure all the video taping of this incident will clear up the "battery" issues and show once again how these young kids are easy targets. You should be more concerned with why more wasn't done with all the other issues that involved guns.

jayhawk135 1 year, 3 months ago

IN REFERENCE TO THE 1121 INCIDENT:

I was at this party and nobody touched any of those police officers. Lawrence's finest also felt it was necessary to slam the 115 lb. girl who "battered" them to the ground and tase her. The officers left shortly after people at the party began filming what was going on.

LJ Whirled 1 year, 3 months ago

Hunter! Irone! Didn't you people get the memo!

jennifermyers 1 year, 3 months ago

Turned on the scanner last night after getting home and could not believe the amount of calls the police were receiving. Several times throughout the night they did not have enough officers to respond to fight calls or other disturbance related calls. Kudos to the PD and SO for doing such a great job last night. I hope Ms. Megan Andrews enjoys her stay in the Douglas County Hotel as I saw she has no bond and I doubt the judges are working on New Years Day.

FlintlockRifle 1 year, 3 months ago

Thanks you LPD ,tell better payed

Liberty275 1 year, 3 months ago

College girl beats up cop. Happy New Year!!

Clint Church 1 year, 3 months ago

It is great that they print the names. Maybe these people will see them and wise up.

biggunz 1 year, 3 months ago

Not a good start to the new year...getting tossed in jail.