Archive for Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Police respond to multiple incidents overnight, numerous arrests made

January 1, 2013, 8:57 a.m. Updated January 1, 2013, 1:35 p.m.

Fights, gunshots and assaults highlighted a busy early New Year's Day for emergency workers.

Area police responded to multiple incidents early New Year's Day morning, including a disturbance with weapons at an area bar, multiple assaults, injury vehicle accidents and a parole absconder who allegedly fired a gun into an occupied vehicle.

Here's a recap of several of the incidents, using information from the Douglas County Jail booking log, the Lawrence Police Department, and Mike Frizzell of Operation 100 News, the Journal-World's reporting partner.

Fight on Kentucky Street, 1 a.m.

According to Lawrence Police Sgt. Trent McKinley, officers responded to 1121 Kentucky St. shortly after 1 a.m. after reports of a fight at a party. A caller reported that someone had been knocked unconscious during the fight.

When police arrived, they discovered several disturbances at the home and numerous uncooperative intoxicated people.

As police attempted to gain control of the situation, two officers were assaulted by people at the party.

No serious injuries resulted from the incident, McKinley said.

The incident resulted in the arrests of the following people:

• Megan Elizabeth Andrews, 21, of Lawrence, on a charge of battering a law enforcement officer.

• Keith Alexander Jimboy, 21, of Lawrence, on a charge of disorderly conduct.

• Saxon Duane Kimball, 22, of Lawrence, on a charges of battering a law enforcement officer and obstructing the legal process.

• Chase Daniels McElhaney, 21, of Lawrence, on charges of marijuana and drug paraphernalia possession, as well as intoxicated pedestrian in the roadway.

• Ryan Jordan Giblin, 22, of Lawrence, on charges of possession of drug paraphernalia and intoxicated pedestrian in the roadway.

Disturbance at Magic Lounge, 2:20 a.m.

About 2:20 a.m., 18 officers responded to a disturbance with weapons at Magic Lounge, 804 W. 24th St.

"The calling parties initially reported a fight inside, however soon after callers reported one of the involved subjects had a gun and disturbances were occurring inside and outside the establishment," McKinley said.

Up to 100 people were involved in the disturbance, according to witnesses.

Police were unable to locate the person with the firearm. One person was treated at a Topeka hospital for injuries, McKinley said. No arrests have been made in the case.

Shots fired on Iowa Street, 2:45 a.m.

About 2:45 a.m., police responded to a report of several gunshots fired from a vehicle in the 800 block of Iowa Street. Police reportedly located the vehicle, and arrested Willie D. Fleming for allegedly firing a gun into an occupied vehicle.

Fleming had been at the Magic Lounge earlier in the evening, which was also the scene of a large disturbance, McKinley said. However, he said it's not yet clear how or if the incidents were related.

Fleming is also being held on several Johnson County charges, including aggravated robbery, aggravated burglary, and possession of stolen property.

Drunken driving arrests

Police made two drunken driving arrests overnight. Lawrence police arrested 22-year-old Lawrence man Hunter James Lareau about 2 a.m. in the 900 block of Emery Drive after he lost control of his southbound vehicle and struck a guard rail. A passenger sustained a possible fractured leg, while Lareau sustained facial injuries. Lareau was arrested for DUI, driving while suspended, transporting an open container of alcohol, speeding and refusal of a preliminary breath test.

Kansas University Public Safety arrested 21-year-old Lawrence man Irone Mancript Revely at 2 a.m. for drunken driving in the 1100 block of Missouri Street.

Armed suspect, 2 a.m.

Shortly before 2 a.m., police received a report that a suspect — armed with a knife — followed people into a residence in the 1100 block of Tennessee Street. The suspect was reportedly very intoxicated and eventually left without harming anyone.

A few minutes later, a second incident occurred in the same block and possibly involved the same suspect. However, the suspect was not located.

Seventh Street fight, 1:46 a.m.

Police were called to a disturbance in the 1400 block of W. Seventh Street regarding a fight in progress. An individual was struck in the face, then knocked down and battered by several other people. Witnesses were interviewed but no arrests have yet been made.

Busy night

McKinley said dispatchers were forced to hold non-emergency calls for two and a half hours during the busiest portions of the night because of all the incidents.

In addition to the above incidents, police responded to 15 non-injury accidents.

Google Map

New Year's Day crime map

View Crime incidents New Year's Day 2013 in a larger map

Comments

biggunz 2 years, 6 months ago

Not a good start to the new year...getting tossed in jail.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 6 months ago

Yes, that will make 2013 a year to remember. Hopefully it won't be eclipsed by events in the future.

Clint Church 2 years, 6 months ago

It is great that they print the names. Maybe these people will see them and wise up.

LA0929 2 years, 6 months ago

Oh so you know that they are ALL guilty of these charges? You wise up!

Liberty275 2 years, 6 months ago

College girl beats up cop. Happy New Year!!

Rob Zerwekh 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm willing to bet she didn't beat him up. They consider it battery if you lightly touch a police officer on the shoulder.

asixbury 2 years, 6 months ago

She threw a beer bottle at the cop when she saw him arresting her boyfriend. Not very bright, but that's what too much alcohol can do.

jennifermyers 2 years, 6 months ago

Turned on the scanner last night after getting home and could not believe the amount of calls the police were receiving. Several times throughout the night they did not have enough officers to respond to fight calls or other disturbance related calls. Kudos to the PD and SO for doing such a great job last night. I hope Ms. Megan Andrews enjoys her stay in the Douglas County Hotel as I saw she has no bond and I doubt the judges are working on New Years Day.

jayhawk135 2 years, 6 months ago

I was at this party and nobody touched any of those police officers. Lawrence's finest also felt it was necessary to slam, Megan, the 115 lb. girl who "battered" them to the ground and tase her. The officers left shortly after people at the party began filming what was going on. Surely you have a better way to spend your new years day than making ignorant comments about good people whom you don't know on the LJ world website when you: a) weren't there b) have no idea what actually happened.

jayhawk135 2 years, 6 months ago

I didn't say I was perfectly sober, but I'm no fool and I know what I saw. This "unruly" party was nothing but a typical college party; I guess you didn't attend any of those while you were in college? Or did you ever even attend college? The ignorance of your post as well as spelling and grammatical errors throughout it would imply that the answer to the latter question is no. I've played sports and weight trained my entire life, so I can guess almost anyone's weight within a couple of pounds based on sizing them up on the paramaters of their build and height, so if I weren't about to graduate school and move on to a more preferable job I most likely would be able to have that one. If you read the other comments on this article you'll see that someone else backs my story 100% as well as confirms her size and weight. I also never said she was completely calm, but she definitely didn't deserve what happened to her as well as some of the others who were arrested. Do you have any other questions for me wise guy? Or are you going to continue to try to argue with me about something that I witnessed and you did not?

KiferGhost 2 years, 6 months ago

Funny as savvy as youngsters are suppose to be that there aren't links posted directing us to youtube with this version. If you can get your drunk game day stuff posted surely you'd have these videos posted by now wouldn't you?

jayhawk135 2 years, 6 months ago

They are soon to come, don't worry. Only trying to enlighten everyone to what actually happened. That's why you're reading the news right?

KiferGhost 2 years, 6 months ago

Yeah well guess there is no point holding our breath waiting for it since it is unlikely to happen. This is 2013 bub, they would have been posted by now if they really showed scenes of this great tragedy.

jennifermyers 2 years, 6 months ago

Ahhh..Jayhawk. You are correct that I did have something better to do on New Years Day and that was to spend time with my family and watching football. None of my comments were ignorant, just stating the facts. And BTW, I do know the Andrews family..Jay, Jenny, Robbie, and Nick. Yes, she is a good girl but obviously made a very poor decision in battering an officer who was there to do a job. Her decision will have a life long effect, especially when it comes to med school....Anything else?

GetALifeQuitLivingThruOthers 2 years, 6 months ago

Oh my gosh....our tax dollars were actually in use last night. JenniferMyers turned on the police scanner and heard there was work to be done. Oh my, everyone turn your police scanners on because they were put to work. If it was that surprising to you, then why even bother turning on the police scanner? Obviously, not that surprising. Also, I arrived at the party right before that happened as a designated driver. You spill a drink on the police officer and the big 250 pound police officer tackled a 21 year old girl and yes she was about 115 pounds because we are about the same size and that is what I weigh. Although I may be a pound off .... forgive me for guessing incorrectly. I love how she says she knows the family so well and spells out their names so everyone knows who they are. You must not have much going on in your family household to be talking about others. Yes, she may be trying to go to med school and it sounds like you are a person who is envious of others and was glad to have heard this happen to Megan. Also, you don't know the facts because as you stated you were supposedly spending time listening to the scanner (or should I say watching football and spending time with your family because your mother of the year) HAHAHA. Well, it's really sad how others judge without knowing the FACTS. I saw that girl get tackled and thrown to the ground on her face with her legs wrapped around her head (fetal position) and her hands out on the floor not fighting back. Since, a drink was spilled on an officer, oh my gosh, it's the biggest assault ever!!! Can you believe he had bruises from that drink and he had a black eye and his nose was bleeding. OH wow, she really did a number on that officer. You must not like their family too well....you sound like a desperate housewife....if you have ever watched that (since you only have great intentions in your life and never made a mistake MRS KNOW IT ALL!) That's alright though, cause they are the finest police officers and they are never wrong! Also, JPINKMAN, I agree and I also support the story of Jayhawk135 as I was there too (whoever you are).

KiferGhost 2 years, 6 months ago

Oh no, another news story that brings out the cuzzins.

KiferGhost 2 years, 6 months ago

Oh yeah, still waiting for the youtube link to the videos mentioned above. Very unlikely that so many of you who can post all your pouty lip videos all the time wouldn't have posted this since it is such a horrendous crime against humanity ya'll faced. What do you say cuzs?

jayhawk135 2 years, 6 months ago

KiferGhost, I'm going to leave you with one of my favorite quotes, one that happens to perfectly fit this situation as this is the point in the argument where I must remind myself of it.

“Do not argue with an idiot they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

-Mark Twain

Bob Forer 2 years, 6 months ago

Damn, Megan must be the smart one in the family. You can't even write a coherent paragraph. Were you still drunk from last night when you sat down at the keyboard?

jayhawk135 2 years, 6 months ago

I'll repeat myself since you must have skimmed over the part in my original post where I said no battery took place. If you ask me it's pretty ignorant to pass judgement about someone when you have no idea what took place that night as is believing everything the media, or a law enforcement officer tells you. Naivete at its finest.

KiferGhost 2 years, 6 months ago

Well where are those videos sport? You have all that collected video that is going to show us the truth, right?

GetALifeQuitLivingThruOthers 2 years, 6 months ago

There's no point in arguing with KiferGhost as he is ignorant and only believes what he sees as he is saying.... But then again, he must not if he believes the other side over the poor girl who got assaulted by the officer, because he obviously was there and knows it all as well.

KiferGhost 2 years, 6 months ago

LOL, the spoiled brats are playing their usual card, throw a temper tantrum and daddy will fix it. So sorry that not only are you apparently lying but can't even follow through with the videos you all said you have of the incident. Wow between the frat deal with the turkey and this I really think parents need to recognize that raising spoiled brats that they then inflict on the rest of society is getting old. No sense of contrition, just lie enough to get the hard working police in trouble. Maybe you all should join the military and get a little taste of what life is.

MarcoPogo 2 years, 6 months ago

They probably got it and then drank it.

jayhawk135 2 years, 6 months ago

IN REFERENCE TO THE 1121 INCIDENT:

I was at this party and nobody touched any of those police officers. Lawrence's finest also felt it was necessary to slam the 115 lb. girl who "battered" them to the ground and tase her. The officers left shortly after people at the party began filming what was going on.

jhawk0097 2 years, 6 months ago

We heard you the first time. Someone getting knocked out, drugs.etc. I'm more inclined to believe the police's version.

DillonBarnes 2 years, 6 months ago

Sure, it's much more likely they simply wanted one more person to arrest and chose her randomly. That makes much more sense.

KISS 2 years, 6 months ago

I was at the party too. Jayhawk135 and I were playing a nice peaceful game of chess while sipping tea and Megan was on the couch crocheting. The police busted in without a search warrant and didn't read us our rights immediately as they are required by law to. They then saw Megan, who had balled in to fetal position on the couch, and promptly beat her senselessly and tased her. The police explained to us that they were so bored last night by not having any calls to respond to that they felt it would be fun to interrupt our quiet social gathering.

windjammer 2 years, 6 months ago

I will put my money on the LPD. Not one of them had alchol in them as all of you expert partiers did. Next time do yourself a favor and don't harass the police.

Bob Forer 2 years, 6 months ago

I agree entirely. Accordingly to Megan's facebook page she is studying premed and "Applied Behavior Analysis: Juvenile Delinquency/" In all likelihood she was probably doing some field research on her senior thesis and was merely in the wrong place at the wrong time.

LA0929 2 years, 6 months ago

Apparently, you basement dwelling bloggers never had fun or did something you regret. (that would explain your clueless posts) I am sure all the video taping of this incident will clear up the "battery" issues and show once again how these young kids are easy targets. You should be more concerned with why more wasn't done with all the other issues that involved guns.

KiferGhost 2 years, 6 months ago

Yeah, we know, the police in Lawrence are constantly battering the young well off children in Lawrence. What a bunch of spoiled whiners, time to learn that daddy was wrong, the world isn't yours and you live with the same laws as the rest of us.

GetALifeQuitLivingThruOthers 2 years, 6 months ago

The truth finally comes out! You are one of those people who envy others for having more, so you enjoy that happened to this girl. I feel sorry for your children if you have any, hopefully not.

KiferGhost 2 years, 6 months ago

Yes, clearly oblivious to the point made, it is all about yourselves isn't it.

Christine Anderson 2 years, 6 months ago

Hey, there's nothing wrong with having a couple drinks. But I don't give a damn how young or old you are, just don't be stupid about it !! I don't believe the version of the poor little college girl wrongfully restrained. My oldest son is about 5'4", 175 lbs, and at the severe end of the autism scale. There have been times the police have had to restrain him. Not once have they done so with any more force than necessary. In fact, they have gone out of their way to be gentle with him. My point is he is a huge kid, and gets pretty strong. The cops do not "strongarm" him, so I don't think this little princess was so innocent.

BitterClinger 2 years, 6 months ago

"dispatchers were forced to hold non-emergency calls for two and a half hours during he busiest portions of the night because of all the incidents.'

And in this case the police were only 2½ hours away if they deemed your incident a non-emergency. Only one of the reasons why I fully support the Second Amendment.

justoneperson 2 years, 6 months ago

I could be wrong, but doesn't the police department have a non-emergency number? I took that comment to mean that calls to the non-emergency number were put on hold, not that they deemed any calls to 911 emergency or non-emergency situations.

Oddwise 2 years, 6 months ago

This is not very responsible reporting in my opinion. Very little context was given for these arrests, and their names are displayed like gossip on a high school bathroom stall. None of these people have had their day in court, but this comment section and article seems to have already passed judgement. I expect to see this in the gas station tabloids

Joghawk11 2 years, 6 months ago

Completely agree with you. Especially for the arrest where there is no information on the actions of the people. LJworld continues to post the same information over and over. You reported it once already, we know. For the sake of innocence and freedom stop posting this information and letting the public freely create opinions about what happened. LJ world please refer to your morals for a New Years resolution. At least put the importance on the violent crimes that included guns, physical assaults, and large disturbances. The 5 arrested at that house party are being unfairly treated by continually including their names the same articles as the more serious crimes .

KiferGhost 2 years, 6 months ago

Apparently these kids were mostly white? Names of some of the select among them, yes, let's keep this news hushed and just rack it up as youthful indiscretion but if it is people less connected we can just post all kind of nonsense about them.

Jean Robart 2 years, 6 months ago

Every single one of those arrested was, by age, an adult--even if not by behavior. If they are our future--I fear for the future of all of us.

asixbury 2 years, 6 months ago

They're just college kids acting like college kids. One stupid mistake, which by the way was not as bad as many on here seem to think, does not damn them for life. Megan's actions was the worst of the night--by the way, she threw a bottle at the cop. Throwing things at a cop is considered battery. So is spitting on someone. Stupid actions on one night of debauchery.

tooltime 2 years, 5 months ago

Momma you should direct your fear more towards parolees shooting guns off driving down Iowa St. Guess he's about the same age though so you might be right about our future.

NotImpressed 2 years, 6 months ago

All of this info is available in the public domain. So, your high school bathroom stall happens to be the booking report...ok.

happyrearviewmirror 2 years, 6 months ago

Round up all the street harassers of Lawrence , KS and toss them in jail! Start 2013 by making people feel safe. No one but the incredibly bad-faith KU HR would persecute victims for their own harassment!

Scripted, robotic conversation number umpteen million rejected! Wrong end of the telescope, Mam/ Sir. Look in the mirror before you look out out the window! You can't help yourself, so you go around with the holier- than- thou attitude that you are helping others. I report street harassers. Beat it, or I'll whip out my phone and record you.

Notice how street harassers for the most part act like they are absolutely entitled to prey on random strangers? Acting entitled tends to tick people off. They give themselves way too much credit if they they think they are making a contribution to anything except southern justice. The body language of your average country bumpkin screams "incompetence."

Actually, the general public is entitled to be spared unwanted interactions by untrustworthy, insulting strangers who claim they are helping whom they are molesting and bedeviling. Ignorance does not help. How dare you barge into anyone's life without consent or even saying "hi" first? You are not God's gift--obviously were just raised up by backwoods parents to be a clueless busybodies.

jpinkman 2 years, 6 months ago

My wife and I attended KU. One night we attended a party that was being broken up by police, probably for a noise violation, not sure, so as we were all exiting past police through a backyard gate my wife threw aside her cup (to avoid being caught with the open container outside the premises). She unintentionally threw it in the direction of one of the officers and it hit his foot. I had to watch helplessly while my petite wife was thrown to the ground, handcuffed and charged with battery of a police officer. Hauled off, processed and thrown in jail overnight because there was no way to get her out until morning. The cops were snickering amongst each other through the whole thing, got a real laugh out of it. She got out the next morning and the charges were dismissed because no way was this 250 lb. cop going in front of a judge and telling them that this 112 lb girl assaulted him with a plastic cup. Those who believe that our 'finest' are all pure intentioned and noble are naive and ignorant. There are a whole lot of cops out there who serve because they get off on the power trip and feeling of self-importance. I have an associate who works for the KC ATF and he tells me that the LPD has a reputation for having an extraordinary number of "internal problems". (In other words, many are less than trustworthy. Not all, but many.)

Bob Forer 2 years, 6 months ago

I don't have any sympathy for your wife. Not very smart to deliberately litter in front of a cop.
I hope if the two of you have kids that you teach them to take responsibility for their actions rather than blaming their problems on others, as you and your wife apparently like to do.

Bob Forer 2 years, 6 months ago

I make mistakes all the time. The difference being, that I fess up, try to learn from mistakes, and try to make sure they don't happen again, instead of rationalizing my behavior by blaming others.

Big difference.

GetALifeQuitLivingThruOthers 2 years, 6 months ago

There was not blame from the ones who were arrested yet.....but there were people there that saw what happened. People have their opinions and people have facts. That's a big difference as well.

Liberty275 2 years, 6 months ago

Really? You actually think it is appropriate to cuff an American and put them in jail on trumped up charges of battery because they littered and a (I take it to be plastic) cup hit a cop on the foot?

My America isn't like your's at all.

asixbury 2 years, 6 months ago

She threw a bottle at the cop. Not a plastic cup. Throwing anything at a cop is asking to be arrested. Stupid mistake made by a young and probably niave college student.

jpinkman 2 years, 6 months ago

So the penalty for littering in Lawrence is still a police take-down and a night in jail? Sure, that seems just. Oh, or is it only the penalty when you are littering on the hallowed ground near one of the LPD? Actually, thanks for your concern, my wife and I chose not to bring more people into this lousy, uncaring, "unsympathetic" world. And you and your yes-men, Dwight Shrute clones here have beautifully reinforced exactly why we made that choice. Thanks for the reminder.

GetALifeQuitLivingThruOthers 2 years, 6 months ago

Neither is your point. Obviously, you read it twice so it had an impact. ; )

KISS 2 years, 6 months ago

Wait, I thought poor Megan was tased? According to jayhawk135 she was slammed to the ground and tased.. He also promised that none of the officers were touched, yet now there is an account of an officer having a drink spilled on him, and last I checked, if done so in an intentional or reckless manner, that equals battery. If you batter a police officer, no matter who you are..white rich girl, poor black man, average Hispanic man, I would expect for the consequence to be the same every time: thrown down, handcuffed, and booked in to jail.

dtown313 2 years, 6 months ago

If these kids were mostly black it would have been a whole different story

KiferGhost 2 years, 6 months ago

Wow, when brought up spoiled it really is hard when not getting your way all the time. A real tragedy, spoiled brats having to face responsibility. Chalk it up as a life experience and learn from it.

GetALifeQuitLivingThruOthers 2 years, 6 months ago

HAHAHHA. There you go judging again. If that's the only thing you're good at, maybe you should put on a robe and I would love to see you in court so you could judge me as well. You are ignorant. Spoiled? Wow, you really read between the lines of people's comments.

KiferGhost 2 years, 6 months ago

Much better to post lies about the police. Yeah, you are a quality character. Looks like your parents have much to be proud of.

jpinkman 2 years, 6 months ago

The worst part of the ruckus that was made last night is that is took so many of LPD's 'finest' away from their speed traps. I don't know how the City of Lawrence will ever make up for its financial losses from the evening. I don't even live in Lawrence and the only 2 speeding tickets I've ever received in my LIFE have been during the dozen or so trips I've made there since attending school there. I can certainly see why they need a new police station. They're running out of room for the filing cabinets to file all those tickets.

KiferGhost 2 years, 6 months ago

Wow, you must have been away from Lawrence for some time. Speed traps? LOL yeah, it is awful. You must be a cuz also to come on here with your line of bull.

GetALifeQuitLivingThruOthers 2 years, 6 months ago

JPinkman, why would the police take care of that first? They would rather not deal with real criminals because it's too big of a risk and this gets more publicity. They are the finest in Kansas. We expect too much. Only spoiled college kids can pay their fines so yes they are way more important to deal with! ; )

Matthew Herbert 2 years, 6 months ago

All of those arrested were 21 and 22. Grow up. Learn moderation.

bearded_gnome 2 years, 6 months ago

KISS 5 hours, 54 minutes ago

---this post really cracked m up. ROTFL! is this sarcasm? for real? like the PD really went out of their way to harrass these little hard core crochet addicts and chess players who were not bothering anyone. the PD were "bored" ... really? lol!

KISS 2 years, 6 months ago

Haha, yes it was complete sarcasm.

Loretta James 2 years, 6 months ago

yes their all a?? Holes till you need them. They will still be their for you though. happy new year

GetALifeQuitLivingThruOthers 2 years, 6 months ago

Yes, everyone loves their jobs and customer service will still be there when you need them for returns at Kohls. Also, lawyers and judges will still be there for you. Don't forget the President and all the other workers out there.

Also, the guy you flipped off the other day will still be there for you too. He passed you because you were driving slow, but he will be there for you when he puts his uniform back on. No worries.

Bob Forer 2 years, 6 months ago

Ten years from now hopefully all of the young ones will look back on their indiscretions with abject embarrassment. Let's hope they learn from their mistakes.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 2 years, 6 months ago

I can't believe I read this entire thread. I do love bad drama, though, so it's understandable.

I do think I can take a couple of valuable lessons away from this mess. We should, in the future, be VERY careful about where we "spill" our drinks. I'll admit that, in the past, I've "spilled" my drink (It was water, BTW.) down the back of a drugged up ape, fighting viciously, with someone else in a bar/music venue on New Year's eve. I believed, at the time, that an icy glass of water to his spine would distract the drugged out youth and calm him down. It worked, that particular time, but could have ended very badly for me and/or my beloved date.

I apologize...for spilling, and getting away with "spilling" that drink. Had I been thrown to the ground, even by an underpaid bouncer, I would not have cried out about the injustice of it all. AFTER all, I had "spilled" a drink. However innocuous that drink may have been, and however unintentional my "spilling it" was, OR however noble my motive, it is never right to "spill" ones' drink.

Enjoy your drinks, people, and do everything you can to avoid "spilling" them.

irvan moore 2 years, 6 months ago

it's better to have a cop and not need one than to need a cop and not have one

jpinkman 2 years, 6 months ago

It's best to just never need a cop. Because you might not get a decent one even if you need one, that's been my experience.

JackMcKee 2 years, 6 months ago

I would like to thank GetALife and some others for the unintentional comedy.

NotImpressed 2 years, 6 months ago

There were quite a few previous comments from Liberty_One that should have had them disappearded.

Kawatchi 2 years, 6 months ago

If you cooperate with police and do what they say, your chances of being tased are effectively zero.

costello 2 years, 6 months ago

I wonder if it was really smart of one of Ms. Andrews' friends to share a photo of her on her facebook page with the caption: New Years 2013. Craziest night of the lives of many.

Kind of makes it seem like it's all a big joke.

Bob Forer 2 years, 6 months ago

I hope Ms. Andrews doesn't think it's all a big joke. She is a very bright gal, and has been on both LHS and KU honor rolls. She is apparently a premed student, so I doubt she has been partying her way through college. Sounds like it she might have been the prototypical "amateur drinker" on New Years Eve and consumed more alcohol than she ever had in the past.

Not making any excuses for her behavior, however,. but assuming this was her first involvement with law enforcement officials, I would hate to see it destroy her academic and career aspirations. It would probably behoove her to approach both the police and police "hat in hand" with heartfelt apologies and remorse. If she is fortunate, perhaps she will be granted diversion and she won't have a criminal record.

I think a lot of us in our youth made the mistake of becoming $hitfaced inebriated, and some of us probably did very exceptionally sstupid things on that occasion. . It is very bothersome that she would lose her composure to the extent that she would batter a law enforcement officer, even if it was apparently by throwing a drink on him. The police had their hands full that night and had better things to do than deal with a bunch of unruly and overly intoxicated college kids.

jpinkman 2 years, 6 months ago

Exactly. Since there were numerous other real crimes being committed and chaos in the streets according to this article (apparently they couldn't answer to calls at some point) there was no need for the police to be hanging out at a college party in the first place. Their priorities are way off.

costello 2 years, 6 months ago

The police were 'hanging out a college party'?

Bob Forer 2 years, 6 months ago

I would have to disagree with you about the priorities of the police being "way off." According to the article, someone called in to report a fight at the party where someone had been knocked unconscious. They would have been grossly remiss in their responsibilities had they failed to respond to the scene. I doubt once they got there they choose to "hang out." Sounds like several of the young adults there were way too intoxicated for their own good, and, to say the least, were less than respectful to the officers. I except the police, as professionals, to take a little crap from a bunch of drunk college students, but the line has to be drawn at some point. If in fact, as I surmise, the young lady threw a drink at the officer, they had every right to arrest her.

Sure, there is a rogue cop or two who provokes a fight with a drunk. But under the circumstances, with a backlog of calls, I am sure the police had better things to do than provoke a very drunk young lady.

IMHO, Ms. Andrews is now very embarrassed and contrite about her actions that night.

We all make mistakes, but to blame the arrests on the police "hanging out at a college party" is a bit much. Don't you think?

P.S. If you are a friend of the folks arrested, I think that your comments are not helping their plight. The police sometimes read these blogs, and if I were an officer and thought that some of the friends of those arrested were minimizing their responsibility I would not be very inclined to give a positive recommendation for diversion. Just saying.

jpinkman 2 years, 6 months ago

I don't have a clue who any of these people are, don't care, I don't even live in Lawrence. But I am no fan of the LPD and I couldn't care less if they are reading these comments, I hope they are. If the people at the party were acting like jerks then they deserved what they got. The point is, the LPD has a reputation for not acting like professionals, and this is coming from those who are also in law enforcement from other areas in this state. I can tell you I have heard specific stories about this particular jurisdiction that are both disturbing and appalling. And since they probably ARE reading this blog and will now hunt me down and have me worked over for saying so, I will say no more.

costello 2 years, 6 months ago

I hope you're right, Sychophant. If I were Ms. Andrews, I wouldn't appreciate my friends coming on to public forums - while I'm sitting in jail - and 'defending' me in the tone taken by some of the posters here.

If they did truly witness this incident and have something to say in her defense, there will be an appropiate forum for them to do so. This isn't it. They're comments make them - and by extension, Ms. Andrews - seem immature.

Bob Forer 2 years, 6 months ago

Yup. Reminds me of some of the immature comments made by apparent fraternity brothers of those involved in the turkey incident. Apparently, they have yet to learn the "rule of the hole." When you find yourself in hole, stop digging!

Michelle Heffley 2 years, 6 months ago

None of you have the integrity, dedication, or disposition to be one of the diligent officers that serve this community. Rather, you'd like to complain, moan and groan about how these hardworking men and women interrupt your fun. Here's an idea, stop being a part of the problem, don't do anything to get the attention of an officer and there will be no problem. I assure you they didn't come looking for your party. They obviously had better things to do.

jay_cheese 2 years, 6 months ago

By integrity do you mean swapping basketball tickets for dropping auto infractions? Or maybe you meant the domestic violence charges filed against our diligent community servers? How about he ones that plant fake evidence or steal from their own charities? I respect those that serve but they are not infallable. I hear someone is lobbying for more officers, what better way for that than to show the public how your stretched your resources were on the busiest day of the yr....

Michelle Heffley 2 years, 6 months ago

You are right no one is infallible. However, I'm not sure you have any proof to back up your claim that any LPD officers have been planting evidence, or stealing from their own charities. Pretty serious accusations to go throwing around. Would love to see you substantiate them with proof. Furthermore, the less than 1% of the officers were involved in the ticket scandal, they were punished properly and are no longer serving this community. Their actions should not reflect upon the honest men and women that work hard for all the ungrateful people on these message boards. I'm certainly glad there are some grateful people on here pointing out how the resources of the LPD are very strained, and getting on here defending silly college twits that need to grow up and respect authority is foolish. America has a real problem with its young people being able to admit when they have done something wrong, and respect authority enough to let them do their job. These party goers are, I am sure, no different than most of today's youth in that respect.

btsflk 2 years, 6 months ago

I believe two of the responding officers recieved injuries.

Bob Forer 2 years, 6 months ago

Two of the officer were assaulted, according to the article. Could have been as minor as throwing a drink at an officer or poking them in the chest with a finger. Nonetheless, nobody should tolerate an offensive touching by a unruly, drunk and obnoxious college student. What I find somewhat disturbing is that these kids are apparently reasonably intelligent college students from middle class families. Drunk or sober, they are probably way smarter than their behavior that night.

jay_cheese 2 years, 6 months ago

Wait a minute, are you blaming all youth in America with a statement like "America has a real problem with its young people". What a load of BS

I didn't say ALL cops were bad but it's naive and false to think they are perfect either (just like the college kids). Wouldn't surprise me to see the injured cops go on permanent disability. That tends to happen a lot too in case you were unaware but I'm sure you'll tell it was a lie instead of doing research. If the police want to talk, then let the cameras roll.... You got yours and I got mine. I anxiously await the followup article to this report.

GetALifeQuitLivingThruOthers 2 years, 6 months ago

Only the youth does wrong. When they say youth, they are talking about 46 year old's too.

It's ok for adults to do harm, but not the youth cause the youth should know better than adults.

mscynners 2 years, 6 months ago

"jpinkman posted - LPD has a reputation for having an extraordinary number of "internal problems". (In other words, many are less than trustworthy. Not all, but many.)" I couldn't have said it better if I had tried "MANY ARE LESS THAN TRUSTWORTHY" and they do get off on the power trip and feeling of self-importance. I will keep the rest of my thoughts to myself....

oldbaldguy 2 years, 6 months ago

my kid had to subdue a gate crasher at the air base where he is assigned before the holidays. involved a pursuit across the base to the flight line. guy tried to climb a c-wire topped fence. seconds away from being shot dead for entering a area where deadly force is authorized. pistols put up, perp physically subdued. took four air force cops to put him down. at the end of it my son was covered in blood and a drunk was in custody. he believes the guy was trying to do a suicide by cop. some cops do have a problem with authority, others do their job.

asixbury 2 years, 6 months ago

Just to clear things up: I heard from someone that lives at that house and was there that night (no, he wasn't arrested or involved with the fights). Megan threw a BOTTLE at the cop and hit him. It was not a plastic cup. Even if it were, that was a very dumb mistake made by an obviously drunken person. I'm sure she learned her lesson.