Archive for Sunday, February 24, 2013

The sequel: Freezing rain, snow expected to hit Lawrence Monday

February 24, 2013

State and local officials are gearing up to cope with another eight to 11 inches of snow that's predicted to hit the area over the next couple of days.

The state's Emergency Operations Center, which works with local municipalities in handling weather emergencies, was activated Sunday for a second time in less than a week. The activation came after the National Weather Service issued a winter storm warning to run from 6 a.m. Monday until noon Tuesday.

Most of the snow is expected to come overnight Monday into Tuesday, but it will begin with freezing rain early Monday morning. Snow will start falling during the day Monday, with accumulation of about an inch, before the more significant snowfall moves in Monday night.

“Prepare for a major winter storm,” said Jenifer Bowen, a National Weather Service meteorologist. “The models could still change a little, and that could give Douglas County slightly higher (or) lesser snow totals than what we’re predicting.”

Lawrence snow plow crews were headed back to duty at midnight Monday to be ready to go as the storm hits. The city also has called in additional city resources and private contractors for help plowing roads.

"This storm has the potential to be more dangerous than last week's storm," Gov. Sam Brownback said in a media conference call Sunday night. "Driving will be very dangerous, with whiteout conditions. So, we ask you to stay off the road unless it's absolutely critical."

Brownback said if residents have to be on the roads, they should be prepared with a charged cell phone, and an emergency kit with food, water, blankets, flares and a shovel.

There will be blowing snow as winds are expected to reach sustained speeds of 20 to 30 miles per hour out of the north-northwest, with gusts of 35 miles per hour. Visibility will be very limited. Moderate to heavy snowfall is predicted to continue through early Tuesday before the storm begins to leave the area Tuesday night. Light snowfall will likely linger in the area throughout Tuesday.

Thursday's storm brought as much as 11 inches of snow around Lawrence. Bowen said the moisture in the weather systems is what is giving these winter storms an extra boost of snowfall.

Comments

frankfussman 2 years, 4 months ago

I just checked closings in Kansas. Most of western Kansas, north to south, including Wichita, Winfield, Hays, Dodge, etc, west of Abilene, have schools and other offices closed on Monday, tomorrow.

mom_of_three 2 years, 4 months ago

AND western kansas gets the weather before we do, so of course they would cancel in advanced, such as we did on wednesday for thursday.

Mehriheart 2 years, 4 months ago

Sequels suck! I wish they would try something more original. : (

Catalano 2 years, 4 months ago

First storm: #BlizzardOfOz. This storm: #TotosRevenge Next storm: #SurrenderDorothy

I'm just waiting for Glinda, the Good Witch of the South, to send spring our way. If you have any ruby red slippers lying around you might want to put them on and click your heels together to make that happen.

down_the_river 2 years, 4 months ago

Very good! But Glinda was the Good Witch of the North. The witch of the South was of course Dorothy Gale, from the people of the south wind.

Catalano 2 years, 4 months ago

I thought she was from the North, too, but I googled Glinda Good Witch, just in case. From Wikipedia:

Glinda (in full, Glinda the Good Witch of the South) is a fictional character in the Land of Oz created by American author L. Frank Baum. She is the most powerful sorceress of Oz, ruler of the Quadling Country south of the Emerald City, and protector of Princess Ozma.

I just stopped reading after the word "South" (my bad) and should have scrolled way down to the part about the movie:

In the 1939 film version of The Wizard of Oz, Glinda is the Good Witch of the North, not the South as in the book. Glinda performs the functions of not only the novel's Good Witch of the North and Good Witch of the South, but also the novel's Queen of Field Mice, by being the one who welcomes Dorothy to Oz, sends her "off to see the Wizard," and orchestrates her rescue from the deadly poppy field in addition to revealing the secret to going back home.

Combining L. Frank Baum's original good witches of the North and of the South in the character of Glinda seems to be an attempt to make Baum's original story more compact, as befits an MGM film musical. A single good witch and a single wicked witch allows for more cohesive and cogent storytelling in a family-entertainment movie that is just over 100 minutes long.

That's Hollywood for ya! But much more entertaining than reading whiners about snow plows!

greenworm 2 years, 4 months ago

To the Snow Plow crew in lawrence... I hope u might consider at least a 1 day training course for plowing snow on a street. Is it possible to push the snow a little further to the curb, maybe make the paths a little wider, and finally if there is cars parked on only one side of the street can u plow the snow away from the vehicles not toward them, the mound of ice should be larger on the curb side than it is next to the vehicles. pisses me off that u left my street and disabled 10-15 cars in the process. it took me a half hour of digging at eleven o clock at night to get out, and I was late.. Now I know your trying to make driving conditions better, but this is kind of pointless if I cannot drive my car...

Lawrence4Life 2 years, 4 months ago

2 suggestions. When you know it is going to snow, if you can don't park on the street. If you must park on the street maybe you should plan to spend some extra time digging your car out. I had to dig my car out. Not that difficult to plan for an extra 20-30 minutes. There are 85,000 other people in town you know.

Good Job City crews!

skinny 2 years, 4 months ago

Don't park in the street then on a snow day. Pretty simple! The snow plow crews do not have the time to move the snow to a diffrent area just because you left your car parked on the street.

Good job to the snow crew.

mom_of_three 2 years, 4 months ago

our street received notices from the city not to park on the street in the event of snow. Didn't everyone??

pellepel1 2 years, 4 months ago

i understand what u are saying bout the side of the cars that snow that they pile up beside the cars is rediculous and i never saw any one putting down salt to help the snow melt i mean u guys should start plowing when it starts not when its finish

Lawrence4Life 2 years, 4 months ago

Every plow I saw was putting down salt and sand. Now you're just being silly. They did put down salt.

greenworm 2 years, 4 months ago

dear skinny some in town don't have the option of not parking in the street..do u really think everyone can just park off the street when they want.. think before u speak..

ForThePeople 2 years, 4 months ago

I just wish they wouldn't wait until three days after the snowfall to do my neighborhood which has hills in every direction. My street alone has hills going both north and south and though they did the main arteries nearby they didn't come down my street until the middle of the night on Friday. It's frustrating knowing that just a half block away the street is cleared, and really gets my goat to hear of neighborhoods that are completely flat, cleared within the first day. While I understand some folks have to park on the street, we've got an idiot that thinks our street is his personal parking lot. His vehicles pose a serious hazard on the hill even when without the snow. And the police pretty much have refused to deal with the problem.

greenworm 2 years, 4 months ago

dear lawrence4life I am not asking for comments of how to time manage my day better, I am simply saying angle the plow to push snow away from vehicles not straight on where snow is left on both sides of the path u left..

Jamea CallsHim 2 years, 4 months ago

It is possible that the plows aren't easy to change the direction they are faced. I know nothing about the mechanics of snow plows but maybe that's why they do it.

You could always find a place to park that isn't on the street if it poses such difficulty. Either way its going to take everyone extra time in snowy weather. People with driveways are going to need to shovel their driveway before they can leave. It is not their job to make your life easier but to make it safer. And one of those is getting the streets cleared to the best of their abilities and to what they are allowed and by whatever deadlines their bosses give them. So yes it may seem like they aren't doing as great of a job as to what they would do if they had the time to do so. But keep in mind they have everyone in town wanted their street completely removed of snow, people park on whatever side of the street they want, there are often stuck cars everywhere etc. This list goes on and on. Plan accordingly that it will take you a lot of extra time to get out and to drive slowly and safely.

Lawrence4Life 2 years, 4 months ago

The path I left? I did not plow anything, just to be clear. I'm just saying you're not the only person in town.

Joe Berns 2 years, 4 months ago

They appear to push all the snow into my driveway entrance, especially after I've already cleared my driveway, yet it's illegal for me to put it back where it came from. How's that for logic. I clear my driveway, sometimes a few feet out into the street even and put it on the sides of my driveway, then the trucks come by and shove it all back in front of my driveway, but I can't push it back where it came from. Many municpalities have a smaller 3/4 ton truck come behind the larger plow truck and take the snow out from in front of people's driveways but I guess that costs too much.

gccs14r 2 years, 4 months ago

If you want to make sure the plow doesn't push snow into your driveway, clear your half of the street of snow about 40' upstream of your drive so there is nothing to push into it.

Richard Payton 2 years, 4 months ago

I can't drive 55! Old school song popped into my head.

youngjayhawk 2 years, 4 months ago

Big, warm hardy thanks to our road crews! They did a phenomenal job of clearing the streets of 10 inches of snow in less than three days. When everyone works together, the job gets done more quickly. Just do your part!

jj14 2 years, 4 months ago

LJW - I was hoping this story would be updated with todays forecast? This is yesterdays information. The news this morning was calling for a much different outlook - saying the snow might not even start until 6:00 AM tomorrow morning. This story (which is understandably the most important story right now to everyone) needs to be updated with the most up to date information. Would that be too much to ask?

Joe Berns 2 years, 4 months ago

Nope. This is the latest NWS forecast, starting Monday and Monday night, not 6 am tomorrow.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TOPEKA KS 419 AM CST MON FEB 25 2013

...MAJOR WINTER STORM EXPECTED TONIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY...

.ANOTHER WINTER STORM WILL DEVELOP ACROSS THE SOUTHERN PLAINS THIS AFTERNOON AND CROSS THROUGH THE REGION TONIGHT. THIS STORM HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BRING PERIODS OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW. BY THIS EVENING...MUCH OF THE AREA WILL SEE A TRANSITION TO SNOW. SNOW WILL BE LIGHT TO MODERATE THIS EVENING BEFORE BECOMING HEAVIER TONIGHT. THE SNOW WILL PERSIST THROUGH TUESDAY AFTERNOON..WITH SOME CHANCE FOR LIGHT SNOW INTO EARLY WEDNESDAY. THE HEAVIEST SNOW MONDAY AND MONDAY NIGHT WILL FALL SOUTH AND EAST OF THE KANSAS TURNPIKE. 8 TO 13 INCHES OF SNOWFALL WILL BE POSSIBLE WITH SOME LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS ACROSS EAST CENTRAL KANSAS. NORTH OF THE KANSAS TURNPIKE SNOW AMOUNTS OF 4 AND 10 INCHES ARE FORECAST. IN COMBINATION WITH STRONG WIND GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH...BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW WILL CREATE VERY HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS.

KSZ012-023-024-026-038>040-054>056-058-059-252330- /O.CON.KTOP.WS.W.0002.130225T1200Z-130226T1800Z/ BROWN-POTTAWATOMIE-JACKSON-JEFFERSON-WABAUNSEE-SHAWNEE-DOUGLAS- LYON-OSAGE-FRANKLIN-COFFEY-ANDERSON- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...HIAWATHA...TOPEKA...LAWRENCE... EMPORIA...OTTAWA 419 AM CST MON FEB 25 2013

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON CST TUESDAY...

A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON CST TUESDAY.

• TIMING...A GRADUAL TRANSITION TO SNOW WILL OCCUR BY MONDAY EVENING MAINLY NORTH OF INTERSTATE 35. AREAS SOUTH OF INTERSTATE 35 SHOULD SEE A WINTRY MIX OF RAIN AND SNOW THROUGHOUT MONDAY. EXPECT MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW TO PERSIST THROUGH EARLY TUESDAY BEFORE GRADUALLY DIMINISHING TUESDAY NIGHT.

• TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...THERE IS THE POTENTIAL FOR SNOWFALL AMOUNTS OF 10 TO 13 INCHES ESPECIALLY SOUTH AND EAST OF THE KANSAS TURNPIKE. SNOWFALL AMOUNTS WILL BE 5 TO 9 INCHES GENERALLY ALONG AND NORTH OF INTERSTATE 70...HOWEVER THE ACCUMULATIONS NORTH OF THE INTERSTATE COULD TAKE BETWEEN 24 AND 36 HOURS TO ACCUMULATE.

• WINDS...NORTH TO NORTHEAST WINDS OF 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 35 MPH WILL BE COMMON ON MONDAY AND MONDAY NIGHT.

• IMPACTS...SNOW WILL HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO CAUSE HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS ACROSS THE AREA. THE STRONG WINDS IN COMBINATION WITH HEAVY SNOW WILL CAUSE DRIFTING SNOW... REDUCED VISIBILITY AND NEAR WHITE OUT CONDITIONS.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

50YearResident 2 years, 4 months ago

I parked in my garage, but it didn't make any difference becaust the snow plow put a winrow of 2' of snow across the drive entrance. I still had to dig out for 30 minutes. I do know there is no other way the plow could have avoided the blocked driveway. It is just an inconvience that we all have to live with. I will be parking in the garage again tonight and digging out again tomorrow..

jj14 2 years, 4 months ago

Agreed - I just thought our local newspaper might want to post a fresh story with the most up to date weather information, not the information from yesterday. Channel 199 this morning said that the snow might not begin to accumulate until early tomorrow morning for the KC area.

webmocker 2 years, 4 months ago

Report from Wichita: "Did I tell you that I got into town last night and stopped at Dillons to pick up a few things, like dog food and eggs and potatoes? Well, the place looked as if it had been mugged. No broccoli whatsoever. No potatoes, except a few giant 20 lb bags of russets. No milk, except a few organic whole milks in the natural food section. No decent toilet paper, just the harsh sandpapery kind. And people were running around like maniacs. It was crazy."

elliottaw 2 years, 4 months ago

I think it has more to do with the people stocking up before the last storm and trying to restock now, while the stores may not have been able to get all their supplies back in from the first one.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 4 months ago

I went to the Dilllions on Mass Street this afternoon and there was an announcement on the store intercom telling people that store personal knew there was a storm coming, but to just stay calm, someone will help you find what you need. Among other things I was almost out of the Cara Cara oranges, the power orange. Seriously, you ought to try them.

Christine Pennewell Davis 2 years, 4 months ago

well shoveled then got plowed back in the shoveled again done and as for putting back in road yeah did that to what they gonna do give me a ticket? besides melts faster that way.