Archive for Friday, February 8, 2013

City now strongly considering adding glass to proposed curbside recycling program

February 8, 2013

On the street

Do you think the city of Lawrence should include glass pickup in its curbside recycling program?

I would say definitely. My family uses Deffenbaugh. I love the service, but they don’t take glass.

More responses

It is now looking more likely that glass may be a part of a new citywide curbside recycling program under consideration by city officials.

Lawrence city commissioners on Tuesday will consider opening negotiations with Perry-based Hamm Companies to build a new multimillion dollar recycling processing center outside of North Lawrence. Hamm officials have said the center could be built to accommodate glass recycling.

And city commissioners are showing renewed interest in the idea of having glass be among the items accepted under a new curbside program.

“There is an awful lot of glass that is being thrown away right now,” City Commissioner Hugh Carter said. “If we could include glass in a program, that would be ideal.”

In the past, City Commissioner Aron Cromwell, who chaired the city’s solid waste task force, had expressed concern about including glass as part of a curbside program. He had concerns glass would contaminate the other recycling materials and cause more of the materials to ultimately go to a landfill.

But Cromwell on Friday said he’s seeing new information that leads him to believe glass can be feasibly incorporated into the program.

“It does appear that there is technology available to better sort the glass without creating contamination,” Cromwell said. “That has helped me become a lot more comfortable with the idea.”

Mayor Bob Schumm last month said at a commission meeting that he hoped the city would seriously consider ways to include glass in the program.

Now, the question becomes how much it will cost residents to have glass as part of the program. New figures from vendors estimate that adding glass will add 25 cents to 70 cents per month to the recycling program’s cost, if the city operates the recycling program on an every-other-week basis. The city had once talked about a weekly service but as cost estimates have emerged, the focus has shifted to an every-other-week service.

Overall, the city is now estimating the city would charge between $2.81 and $3.78 per month to run a biweekly citywide curbside recycling service that included glass.

The final price will be dependent upon what company the city chooses to do business with.

Waste Management out of Topeka has offered the lowest price to recycle glass as part of a curbside program. It proposes to use its existing Topeka plant and would use Waste Management crews to collect the recycling. It estimates it could provide the service for a price between $2.81 to $3.22 per month that would be added onto the trash bills of every residential customer in the city.

But a city committee is recommending the commission consider a bid from Hamm Companies, although its projected monthly price is higher at $3.39 to $3.78.

Hamm’s proposal would build a new recycling processing center near the Douglas County-Leavenworth County line at the intersection of U.S. 24-40 Highway and Kansas Highway 32. The center would employ 15 to 20 people, Hamm officials have said. Hamm also is proposing that city of Lawrence employees would be responsible for collecting the recycling, just as city crews do with the trash service.

The impact of keeping more jobs based in Lawrence is an important one, commissioners said.

“We have really high satisfaction ratings with our trash service, and that is what we want with our recycling service too,” Carter said. “That’s why this can’t just be about selecting the lowest cost provider.”

If commissioners choose not to include glass in the program, a bid by Deffenbaugh Industries may come into play. Deffenbaugh, which has made a major push to become the recycling provider and already provides service to about 4,200 Lawrence residents, proposes to use its Kansas City recycling facility. It would use its own crews to collect the recycling. It proposes a price of $2.25 to $2.57 per month.

But Deffenbaugh’s recycling facility is unable to process glass, although Deffenbaugh has said it would work to bolster the city’s current glass recycling program that allows people to drop glass off at designated bins.

Cromwell helped start that system, which is run by Ripple Glass, but he said the city has to consider a curbside option.

“I really like what Ripple is doing, but if we can recycle three times as much glass through a curbside program, we have to look at that,” Cromwell said.

Some elements of the proposed citywide program haven’t changed. The city still is proposing a mandatory pay but voluntary usage system. That means all residential households will have a recycling fee added to their monthly trash bill, regardless of whether they use the system.

All recommendations also assume customers would be issued a 96-gallon plastic cart, which is a bit bigger than the city’s standard issue 65-gallon cart it uses for trash.

Commissioners will meet at 6:35 p.m. Tuesday at City Hall.

Comments

ljreader 1 year, 2 months ago

Stuff doesn't break down any slower when you recycle it for free.

desertrose 1 year, 2 months ago

I started to recycle my glass a couple years ago after I found out how many years it takes to break down in a landfill. 1 MILLION YEARS. If that means hauling it to a recycle place and doing that for the future of my kids & grandkids then I will continue to do it. I think it should be free or very affordable and made easier to recycle so that everyone can recycle. I also think alot of people are not aware of the environmental factor and this should be very important for everyone to do. I was unaware until recently that it takes... 200-500 years for aluminum cans 250 years for plastic cups 30-40 years for nylon fabric 10-20 years for plastic trash bags 5 years for plastic cups

sunny 1 year, 2 months ago

This is almost the most absurd idea yet! Adding more to my City bill...do these commissioners not understand that there are no good paying jobs in Lawrence? They are nickel and diming me to death!

oneeye_wilbur 1 year, 2 months ago

The city involvement isbNOT an option, it is forced.

Downtoearth 1 year, 2 months ago

Did not read all commets but I sure don't want to pay for recycling glass. I may have one or two jars of class containers a month. Most of our drinks/foods come in plastic. I do favor recycling plastic. Get real Hugh!!

ljreader 1 year, 2 months ago

I bet the carbon footprint left by the manufacture of tens of thousands of 96 gallon plastic carts is worse than some newspapers tossed in the trash. No, sunny- there is no focus on jobs. There is no focus on saving the citizens' money by cutting spending. All they do is sit around and dream up ways to spend more of our money for pet projects where pet cronies will benefit. Why do we even need Commissioners?

sunny 1 year, 2 months ago

Its too bad the Commissioners don't focus on creating jobs in Lawrence. Instead they sit around and think of ways to force citizens to pay for something they don't want!

breeav 1 year, 2 months ago

I have always recycled in Lawrence; I have used private recycling companies in the past and am currently running my own recycling. I am very excited to have a city-wide option because it's going to be much cheaper than private options and will end up providing a more consistent service. When I take into consideration the gas I use to drive to a recycling facility (which is across town now that the east Lawrence recycling center is closed to the public), and the time that it takes me to sort and run recycling, I think I will end up saving time and money with this city wide option. I understand the concern for private companies going out of business, but really it will eliminate some jobs and create others in their place. As someone who believes in recycling, I think that it may take some adjustment but ultimately there will be fewer resources ending up in our landfills and that should be our main concern.

Katara 1 year, 2 months ago

Why does the city want to deprive the schools money and deprive the disabled jobs?

If the city is going to force everyone to use their services then the schools will lose the money they get from their recycle bins they provide.

If the city is going to force everyone to use their services then the Walmart recycle center will no longer need folks from CLO to work there.

And what is the city going to do when the price of recycling exceeds the price received for the recycled materials like in 2009? http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2009/jun...

"But Kathy Richardson, the city’s operations supervisor for waste reduction and recycling, confirmed that the market for at least four materials the city collects — corrugated cardboard, newspapers, office paper and mixed paper — remains down.

Through the first five months of this year, she said, the city had generated $35,000 in revenue from such materials. For the same period a year ago — and for essentially the same amount collected — the city had received $112,000.

“That gives you a picture,” she said."

oneeye_wilbur 1 year, 2 months ago

Why isn't Hugh Carter requiring the bars to recycle glass and have them pay more?

if the recyclables are so valuable, why wouldn't we be paid for or cardboard and glass and newspapers and plastics?

The city is not getting my metals! They can be sold, I get te money.

These commissioners are pushing for this because they can only do this. They cannot create jobs, but only forDefenaughand Hamm.

waitjustaminute 1 year, 2 months ago

The City has no business being in the recycling business.

tomatogrower 1 year, 2 months ago

I am tired of people who think they have a right to consume, consume, consume, but not recycle. Yes, I feel sorry for those who already recycle, and want to keep doing it their way, but I'm tired of seeing people dump TV's, computers, cans, bottles, plastic. There is only so much room in the landfills. Can we dig up your back yard to put some in? Geez. It's not that hard. And the city program will make it even easier at a measly cost. I have grandchildren and in the next few years will probably have great grandchildren. I do not want them to live on top of your stupid, selfish trash heap. Sorry the carts offend your aesthetic sensibility. I'm sure that you are one of those people who pour chemicals on lawns, so you can grow grass that is not native to Kansas, and waste water keeping it alive, so you can mow it down. Why not get off you duff and grow some food on that lawn, and recycle. I'll bet you could get enough exercise you could drop that gym membership, and actually save money.

Christine Pennewell Davis 1 year, 2 months ago

Well ok take glass don't take glass what ever it still not right to force people. For anyone who does not know that liquor store on mass next to dillons has a container just for glass.

Topple 1 year, 2 months ago

Why is no one proposing different can sizes? I don't need, or have room for a 96-gallon recycling container.

snitty 1 year, 2 months ago

I'm delighted that Lawrence is finally getting serious about recycling. May I suggest that you hold off on issuing more containers. Most people still have their old trash cans, and there is a big disparity in the amount of trash that each household produces.

alfie 1 year, 2 months ago

I don't mind the recycling, but "can" the large "can" idea.

weiser 1 year, 2 months ago

They keep thinking of ways to take our money. Make the top 1 percent of citizens pay it all for the rest of us. Hussein might give the city a prize for adopting his model!

skinny 1 year, 2 months ago

I see a class action lawsuit coming!!

Richard Heckler 1 year, 2 months ago

I still want Sunflower curbside to pick our recycling up.....

The city can still do their thing which I support.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 1 year, 2 months ago

This is what happens when you let government get to big. There is someone down at city hall that does not have enough to do and feels the need to justify their job. This type of thing happens over and over to us. No one is against recycling, but we already have the program in place provided by the private sector. What are these taxpayers going to do when an activity that only consumes tax dollars competes with them and puts them out of business? If they want people to recycle glass, then make set up places to buy it from the consumers like they do with cans, otherwise leave it alone.

ljreader 1 year, 2 months ago

How do you know that this will make recycling "universal"? It only makes paying for it universal. What's preventing people from throwing their recyclables in with the garbage? How is this "universal" when businesses - who generate huge amounts of waste-will not be required to participate???

peartree 1 year, 2 months ago

We too use more glass and fewer cans to avoid the plastic lining. It really does add up in a household with more than a person or two. To the people who recycle now by taking it in yourself and are angry that they will have to pay now, I'd suggest as responsible, concerned people perhaps you would see the benefit to the environment if recycling were made universal in Lawrence. I know it will be a pain to pay a fee and keep a cart, but this effort will prevent a huge amount of trash and pollution. It is of course a personal sacrifice, but it has great rewards.

Patricia Davis 1 year, 2 months ago

i agree about the cart size. However, my family is moving away from canned goods (because of BPA) and glass is the alternative. Glass does add up. Would love curb side recycle.

ljreader 1 year, 2 months ago

I don't want another gigantic cart. I don't want to pay to do something I already do for free. I don't want to put private recycling enterprises out of business. I do not want to pay to buy them out. The usage AND fees should be voluntary. If I don't want it, won't use it, I shouldn't have to pay for it. I feel like sending a bill to the City for storing their huge carts on my property. It's that much more space I cannot use for my own enjoyment, I have no place to store these eyesores, and it's gonna be a real kick to move all this crap around when I'm mowing. It sounds like a good deal- if you want it. It sounds like crazy talk to make us pay for this whether or not we will use it. I already recycle. I don't need to be forced. There is no guarantee that those who do not recycle will suddenly change their ways because they have another cart. Is the City going to go through our trash and fine us if they find a newspaper or plastic bottle with the garbage?

NickDanger 1 year, 2 months ago

I support all recycling efforts. Happy to pay the nominal fee.

Katara 1 year, 2 months ago

You did have really high satisfaction ratings until you decided to force everyone to use the city's carts and pay for something they did not need.

George_Braziller 1 year, 2 months ago

It takes me more than a year to even fill one bag with enough glass to make it worth the trip to one of the free recycling locations. Bars and restaurants however have massive amounts of recyclable glass everyday. Maybe that's why Schumm supports it.

Benjamin Roberts 1 year, 2 months ago

Where is all the glass coming from? We dispose of, maybe, one glass pickle jar a month. I think I know the answer, but must ask: What consumables do you use that requires glass disposal?

oneeye_wilbur 1 year, 2 months ago

Mr Cromwell, you pay my new fee!

What is it going to take to make the five of you understand, we want a choice. I do not want another fee! If the stuff is so valuable, you would pay us to put it out! Do you think we are dumb?

If you want to pick up the pittance of stuff I have, then give me one small cart at no charge, just as with the garbage collection. I will put it out once a month and it will have some TV dinner trays, cardboard packaging for Depends, some Ensure containers, and a few cardboard boxes denture cleaner tablets came in. I'll throw in the container that the hemeroid cream game in, well a lot of containers as we will need plenty of it with your dumb ideas.

Focus on real job creation and jobs for Deffenbaugh or anyone else similar.