Archive for Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Letter: Visitors center

February 5, 2013

To the editor:

I read with interest Conrad Henderson’s letter to the editor on Feb. 1 in which he responded to Downtown Lawrence Director Cathy Hamilton’s remarks about needing a visitors center downtown to provide “maps, brochures and friendly people.” I, too, was very surprised that she said that because that is exactly what we have at the Lawrence Visitors Center.

When I was moving to Lawrence several years ago, the Realtor who was showing me around drove by the Visitors Center in the renovated train depot. It was spring, the flowers were blooming, and a birthday party was going on in the beautifully restored old building. “To me,” the Realtor said, “this typifies Lawrence: history, community spirit and service.” And he might have added, ample parking.

I was so impressed that I visited the center and now, following in Mr. Henderson’s footsteps, I volunteer there once a week too, where it is a real pleasure to work with unbelievably knowledgeable on-site staff Debbie and Keith and meet the interesting people who come in.

Maybe the solution is to have more in downtown aware that everything visitors need is just a very short trip across the bridge.

Comments

friendlyjhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Ms. Hamilton was clearly not thinking when she made that remark quoted above. She was too busy trying to win a DIVA contest. We get what we pay for people.

FlintlockRifle 1 year, 9 months ago

Most vistior centers are located as you come into towns, not after you are already lost in traffic

bornon7 1 year, 9 months ago

What does Cathy Hamilton get paid? How can she NOT know we have a Visitor's Center?! How embarrassing!!

DowntownDirector 1 year, 9 months ago

As I stated in a comment on a similar thread, my intention was never to replace the current Visitors Center in North Lawrence (which I have known about and visited - several times - since it first opened) or its staff. It's a fantastic facility with a rich history. The idea - and that's all it is, at this point - is for a small satellite downtown - with a Downtown focus - that could point people to the main visitor center across the bridge, if need be. It was simply an idea to make Downtown more user-friendly; not intended to drive a wedge. Thanks.

DMCW 1 year, 9 months ago

I work at the Visitor Center in North Lawrence, our volunteers are very loyal, dedicated and protective. Our job is to assist visitors in discovering all Lawrence has to offer. So we would work hand-in-hand with a Downtown Walk-in Visitor Center to enhance the visitors experience. Two could be better than one. Look forward to working with you Kathy!

DowntownDirector 1 year, 9 months ago

Thanks, DMCW. Agree that it could and should be complementary.