Archive for Friday, February 1, 2013

Letter: Climate priority

February 1, 2013

To the editor:

With regard to the proposed sports complex, I would like to point out that, for about half the cost we are being told it would cost to build this dubious project, the City of Lawrence could become a primary force in enabling the world to address the climate issue that has recently become a front-and-center priority for the nation.

I would also like to suggest that because Lawrence once played a pivotal role in ending slavery in this nation is no reason for Lawrence to become complacent when it comes to moral issues. I would also like to point out that many trillions of dollars of property and billions of people are at ever-increasing risk from the destructive forces of climate change.

I think, due to these issues, Lawrence voters should be asked to choose how they would like to proceed, toward an area sports complex or toward enabling humanity to achieve a greater level of sustainability and improve humanity’s ability to survive relatively intact the climate changes scientists are predicting in the remainder of the 21st century. I think it would also behoove us to consider that Kansas is still in prolonged drought with no letup in sight.

The thought also occurs to me that if Lawrence had better name recognition and a better image across America, it could perhaps recruit doctors, nurses, teachers, police officers and university faculty a little bit easier.

Comments

Water 1 year, 9 months ago

Les, Should you be approaching the US Patent Office, Venture Capitalists as can be found at Kickstart or appearing on Shark Tank? Maybe, so you can stop eschewing obfuscation, the LJW could interview you so we can experience this idea of yours? Is it a big air filter? Does it capture electricity from lighting bolts? Gold from straw? Can someone else fill me in?

gphawk89 1 year, 9 months ago

"Better name recognition" and "better image" do not necessarily go hand-in-hand. Often just the opposite.

rtwngr 1 year, 9 months ago

The next time something "occurs" to you, don't feel obligated to share it with the rest of us.

jafs 1 year, 9 months ago

If one thinks that life, including human life, is valuable, and worth preserving, even "sacred", it certainly is.

Fred Mertz 1 year, 9 months ago

Why depend on my taxes for your project? Do it yourself. And yes, I feel this way for all businesses

Water 1 year, 9 months ago

I'm empressed you have obtained a patent. Many inventors experience difficulty marketing their invention. After succeeding in getting the invention to market, they don't make a fortune from it's sale or licensing fees. Generating electricity from waste is not as valuable to society as putting a bouncy ball thru a hoop.

Fred Mertz 1 year, 9 months ago

So, explain to me what this sentence means? "I don't have any local support and federal support is problematic as I don't have any local or state support. I'm told by KU that they don't have faculty qualified to assist me either."

Isn't getting support and assistance from the government using public resources funded by, in part, my tax dollars? Correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like you indeed will be using tax dollars to assist with your project.

Jim Fisher 1 year, 9 months ago

I wish I was a player too. I think I have some good ideas that could benefit humanity and make me a pile of money. All I need is a large infusion of somebody else's cash, like the rest of the players. It would help capitalize the front end of my projects and free up some risk. I won't share what my idea is just like Mr. Blevins, but trust me.

Jim Fisher 1 year, 9 months ago

The climate. 650,000 years ago this piece of dirt was covered by 300 feet of ice. The earth, she's a churnin'

Cant_have_it_both_ways 1 year, 9 months ago

Some people would be much better off if they just sucked it up and got a real job.

ThePilgrim 1 year, 9 months ago

Mr. Blevins, if you have patents for technology to fight climate change, then you (almost) completely discredit your editorial, and it becomes little more than a message of "don't spend money on a sports complex, spend it on me" (or my biz), which most of the posters on LJW would call at best self serving and at worst no better than "crony capitalism", regardless of the potential altruism involved.