Commissioners will begin moving forward on setting a March bid date for infrastructure construction at the former Farmland Industries fertilizer plant, which the city is converting to a business and industrial park.
The city will create a benefit district to help pay for the infrastructure improvements at the site, which is along Kansas Highway 10 on the eastern edge of Lawrence. The benefit district, however, won't start collecting special assessments until tenants move into the business park. Until then, the city will make the annual payments related to the infrastructure debt. The infrastructure improvements include: about 5,700 feet of concrete streets, 4,700 feet of storm sewers, 9,300 feet of sanitary sewers, sidewalks and water lines. The city plans to open bids on the project March 12.
• Approve City Commission meeting minutes from Jan. 15.
• Receive minutes from boards and commissions.
• Approve claims.
• Approve licenses recommended by the city clerk’s office.
• Approve appointments recommended by the mayor.
• Bid and purchase items:
a. Set a bid opening date of Feb. 26 for 2013 landscape mowing contracts.
b. Set bid date of Feb. 19 for brick reconstruction on Pennsylvania Street, between Eighth and Ninth streets, as well as reconstruction of Ninth Street between Pennsylvania and Delaware streets.
c. Set a bid date of March 5 for O’Connell Road water main extension.
d. Authorize renewal of the GPS service contract with Network Fleet for $42,895 a year.
• Adopt on first reading an ordinance amending the city code to revise standards for sidewalk dining to address umbrella height, railing materials, and amplified music and sound within sidewalk dining areas.
• Adopt these on second and final reading:
a. An ordinance rezoning 32.5 acres and adjacent railroad right-of-way in the former Farmland Industries property from I-4 (heavy industrial) and VC (valley channel) districts to UR-FP (urban reserve/floodplain overlay) district. The property is north of Kansas Highway 10, between Greenway Circle and East 1575 Road.
b. An ordinance rezoning 167.94 acres and adjacent railroad right-of-way in the former Farmland Industries property from I-4 (heavy industrial) district to UR (urban reserve) district. The property is north of Kansas Highway 10, between Greenway Circle and East 1575 Road.
c. An ordinance rezoning 170.7 acres and adjacent highway right-of-way in the former Farmland Industries property from I-4 (heavy industrial), I-1 (limited industrial), A (agricultural) county districts and CC200 (community commercial center) city district to IG (general industrial) district. The property is north of Kansas Highway 10, between Greenway Circle and East 1575 Road.
d. An ordinance rezoning 59 acres and adjacent highway right-of-way in the former Farmland Industries property from I-1 (limited Industrial), B-1 (neighborhood business); A (agricultural) county districts and IG (general industrial) district to IM (medium industrial) district. The property is north of Kansas Highway 10, between Greenway Circle and East 1575 Road.
e. An ordinance for a special use permit for a Westar substation to provide electricity to the former Farmland Industries property and surrounding properties.
• Initiate rezoning of 2200 and 2206 E. 23rd St. from UR (urban reserve) district and RS10 (single-dwelling residential) district to CS (commercial strip) district.
• Authorize staff to advertise a request for proposals for engineering design services for pump station redundant forcemain.
• Authorize the mayor to sign authority to award contract/commitment of city funds for Iowa Street reconstruction project and authorize payment of $1.07 million to the Kansas Department of Transportation the city’s share of construction costs. Authorize the mayor to sign KDOT city/state agreement for construction engineering inspection services for the project.
• Approve a request from the Pilot Club of Lawrence to place a directional temporary sign on Feb. 22 and 23 at the northwest corner of Harper and 23rd streets, on the US Bank property, advertising the Antique Show and Sale.
• Approve a request from the Lawrence Home Builders Association to place temporary directional signs at various locations in the city for the Lawrence Home Show. The signs would be placed Feb. 11 and removed Feb. 18.
• Authorize the city manager to execute a professional services agreement with Olsson Associates for $39,917 for transit center location analysis.
• Receive a petition to establish a Community Improvement District to use special assessments to fund underground utilities along Pennsylvania Street and adopt on first reading and ordinance establishing the district.
• Authorize submitting applications to the Kansas Department of Transportation by the Feb. 15 deadline for the Haskell Rail Trail, Breezedale monuments and Santa Fe Station transportation enhancement projects.
• Receive an update on 1106 Rhode Island St. regarding the owner’s progress of determining plan of rehabilitation for the structures on the property.
• Receive a revised request from Downtown Lawrence Inc. to install a sign of community interest at the corner of Ninth and Massachusetts streets.
• Consider initiating a text amendment to the Land Development Code that considers revising/clarifying the occupancy limits in all zoning districts.
• Consider taking action on these items related to infrastructure improvements for the former Farmland Industries property:
a. A resolution establishing a public hearing on Feb. 19 on the establishment of a benefit district for street and water main improvements.
b. A resolution establishing a public hearing on Feb. 19 on the establishment of a benefit district for sanitary sewer improvements.
c. Set bid date of March 12 to receive bids on the Farmland infrastructure projects.
• Receive city auditor presentation on Performance Audit: Managing the Taste of Water.