Archive for Friday, August 30, 2013

Letter: Flawed rule

August 30, 2013

To the editor:

I’m writing to ask when is there going to be an option for downtown employees to obtain a general parking pass?

Today my wife was issued a “repeat offender” parking ticket for the price of $50. This is going too far, in my opinion. We get tickets like everyone else, and we pay them. Fine. But really? Where is the line drawn for this and why won’t anyone step up to change this flaw in our city? My wife is pregnant and has to carry heavy loads to her office downtown. She has no other options for parking. It’s pathetic for our city to prey on such citizens.

Comments

Richard Heckler 1 year, 10 months ago

I believe there is a parking permit for downtown however I doubt that includes parking at metered spaces near a business.

Joe Hyde 1 year, 10 months ago

Well, it could be worse. One day six years ago in downtown KCMO, I was a couple minutes tardy getting back to my vehicle; it was parked on a 25-cent street meter. Overtime parking ticket tucked under the driver's side wiper blade. BOOM. Twenty-five bucks.

It was my first-ever parking ticket in downtown KCMO. My last one, too, and you can guess why.

Liberty275 1 year, 10 months ago

I'm going to guess "because you don't go back". That's why we don't get parking tickets in Lawrence.

Thomas Bryce 1 year, 10 months ago

Well, then Stay away from San Francisco, CA. $74 for an overtime meter ticket, First offense.

Matthew Herbert 1 year, 10 months ago

Does your wife's pregnancy prevent her from putting change in a meter as she exits the vehicle? If she's well enough to walk past the meter, I'm imaging she's well enough to stop at it and drop in a quarter.

he_who_knows_all 1 year, 10 months ago

Why don't you just drive her to work and drop her off at the front door?

imastinker 1 year, 10 months ago

My wife was pregnant while attending ku. She had to walk pretty far every day, at least a mile. Pregnancy is not a disability.

She was also disabled for two brief periods and even those accommodations suck.