Advertisement

Archive for Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Douglas County home damaged in Tuesday night fire likely ruined, officials say

April 24, 2013, 6:21 p.m. Updated April 24, 2013, 7:52 p.m.

Advertisement

A Eudora house fire that drew fire crews from three area departments Tuesday night appears to have started in the home’s chimney, officials said Wednesday.

Fire crews responded to the house fire in the 2200 block of Quail Court, on the south side of Kansas Highway 10 and just east of Eudora High School, about 11:40 p.m. Tuesday, as reported by the Journal-World’s news partner, Operation 100. The second story of the house was engulfed in flames and the roof collapsed about an hour later.

The fire was declared under control around 1:10 a.m.

The home was owned by Steve Spence and Mary Kay Gregory. Everyone in the house escaped safely, and no injuries were reported.

Eudora City Fire Chief Ken Keiter said state fire investigators believed the fire spread from the home’s working fireplace — which the residents were using at the time — into the upper reaches of the chimney and caused a fire in the attic. The residents said they were not aware the house was on fire until a passing motorist knocked on their door to alert them. They had dismissed the activation of their smoke alarms, thinking it was caused by the fireplace.

The house would most likely be declared a total loss, Keiter said, and the residents are staying with local family members.

Keiter advised people to make sure their smoke alarms are working properly and to investigate their home for danger if the alarms sound.

Comments

sandrat7 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Please, if you have a fireplace/woodburning stove,have your chimneys inspected yearly and cleaned as needed. There are professional chimneysweeps in the area who would be happy to keep you safe.

0

Steve Swaggerty 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Prayers are with the Family. Glad to hear everyone is OK.

1

Commenting has been disabled for this item.