Archive for Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Letter: Theater just sad

April 16, 2013

To the editor:

Lawrence has one theater. One sad, old, uncomfortable, dirty theater. I went to see “Jurassic Park 3D” there last night, and several things jumped out at me. The façade of the building reflects the overall feeling of Hollywood Theater 21: run down, poorly maintained, and bizarrely mismanaged.

Going to see a movie is a challenge. You never know what door you can enter, because they seem to randomly lock them, making getting inside a sad game of musical doors.

Once you get your ticket, either from the ’90s era self-ticket kiosk or the subway conductor behind the glass, you enter the lobby. Usually dirty and staffed by unpleasant teenagers, you notice there is no advanced soda fountain where you have tons of drinks to choose from. No, you have to wait in lines. I mean, wait … in … lines. Once you get to the theater, you better be under 6 feet tall, or you’ll be cramped.

Lawrence needs a new, nicer theater. The Hollywood 21 is for saps, I tell you. I hope the purchase by Regal Group means an upgrade, if not a complete rebuild, but the comment by a Regal employee that Southwind is “exceptional” is baffling and lowers my hope for change.

Comments

sunny 12 months ago

AMC in Olathe! Can also have a cocktail in the theatre!

Claudean McKellips 1 year ago

Liberty Hall is beautiful, comfortable, friendly and local.

Richard Heckler 1 year ago

Reagal is too deep in debt to make changes.

Matthew Herbert 1 year ago

Overwhelmingly agree with this LTE. Despite being a huge fan of the film industry, I haven't gone to the theatre in Lawrence since the Bush administration. It was terrible back then - I'd hate to imagine what it has become. At 6'1, there was no end to the amount of cramping I felt in my legs the day after sitting through a movie at Southwind. Out of curiousity (it has literally been 6-7 years), what is the going rate for a Southwind ticket? I want to say it was $6.50 the last time I was there.

Tammy Copp-Barta 1 year ago

We rarely go to the movie - because we have to get a second mortgage to go, but usually end up at the Legends. Food, shopping and a very nice theatre ... hate taking money out of town .. but if I'm paying for it - I want to be comfortable for that couple of hours in the theatre.

Benjamin Roberts 1 year ago

"The Hollywood 21 is for saps..."

But, The Hollywood Southwind 12 is for people who can count.