Archive for Saturday, April 13, 2013

Letter: First preamble

April 13, 2013

To the editor:

Holly Weatherford, American Civil Liberties Union of Kansas and Western Missouri, is concerned that the Kansas Legislature, in passing HB2253, has declared that “the life of each human being begins at fertilization” and that “unborn children have interests in life, health and well-being that should be protected.” She asserts, “That preamble language is dangerous.” (Journal-World, April 10)

Dangerous? They have found nothing different than those who wrote the preamble to the Declaration of Independence: “that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”

This made me think back to the first preamble, before the Declaration of Independence, before HB2253. According to Genesis 1:1, “In the beginning, God created.” God did not stop creating with the shaping of the world. He continues creating, with each conception. That is probably the most dangerous preamble of all.

Verna Froese, Lawrence

Comments

JohnBrown 1 year ago

A fetus becomes an individual when it can feed and breathe on its own.

Until then, it is dependent on someone else to do that breathing and eating.

Government has no right to interfere in this god-given relationship.

The anti-abortion people are simply American Taliban's who have no intrinsic respect for women and their ability to make choices.

While the Afghani Taliban believe in "Do as we say or we'll kill you", the American Taliban are a little less cold-hearted, 'cause they simply say "Do as we say or we'll put you in jail".

Other than that, what's the difference?

JohnBrown

voevoda 1 year ago

The Bible does not prohibit abortion. Certainly not Genesis 1.1, cannot be reasonably construed as a prohibition on abortion. While the Bible is inconsistent in whether it attributes life to the moment of birth or before birth, it never suggests that an independent human life occurs at the moment of conception. Consequently, Christian views about abortion vary greatly:

In Islamic tradition, an embryo gains a soul at the 40th day, and before that abortion is acceptable.

In Jewish tradition, the well-being of the woman is always favored over that of an unborn child.

So the Kansas Legislature has adopted a minority religious opinion and inscribed it in law.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year ago

Just for the record, I am a Catholic Christian and am offended by those who belittle my faith. I am sure there are other ways of stating your point of view. I do not think that my faith should guide others. I have a profound respect for the faith of others, that is based on the PBS series of Joseph Campbell's series with Bill Moyers. That was so good and reached both the hearts and minds of so many.

Campbell was a mythologist who was best known for his work in comparative mythology and comparative religion. I will never forget the story he told about the Brahmin who thought he was hot stuff until someone talked to him and during the conversation pointed to a long line of ants. "See those ants," he said. "well at one time they were all Brahmins." Nuff said.

If you choose not to believe in something or someone, I am cool with that. How about you live your life your way, I live my life my way? Think that would work?

Brock Masters 1 year ago

Here is my thought on religion in government. If you believe that religion has a place in government are you willing to put all the names of the different religions into a bag and draw one to be the ruling religion?

If not then keep your religion out of government. Let it guide your individual life but don't use it to dictate to me and others on how to live my life.

The US Constitution is sufficient to protect our rights and the bible, Koran , etc is perfect to guide your personal life if you so choose.

mom_of_three 1 year ago

And yet again, the rights of a zygot and a fetus are placed ahead of a woman - a breathing, thinking person who becomes merely an incubator? Why are her rights so summarily dismissed??

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year ago

"“the life of each human being begins at fertilization”"

That's pretty arbitrary. Aren't sperm and ovum also living, human cells?

weiser 1 year ago

The Anthropic Principle...

UneasyRider 1 year ago

It seems weekly that we have a sermon posted disguised as a letter to editor.

grimpeur 1 year ago

"That is probably the most dangerous preamble of all."

You don't know how right you are.

And I'll thank you to keep your book, and your imaginary friend, out of my Legislature.