Archive for Thursday, April 11, 2013

Letter: Offended voter

April 11, 2013

To the editor:

I voted provisionally on April 2. I learned from the officious woman protecting us from voter fraud that I couldn’t vote without an ID, even if the volunteers at the table knew me.

Until this election, I’d never had an unpleasant experience at the polls. So when a caller from the courthouse told me I had to bring my ID so my provisional ballot could be counted, I bristled again for the loss of reasonableness at the polls.

Hadn’t the courthouse checked my information and signature against my original registration? No, I had to appear in person, otherwise how would anyone know who I was?

Well, the volunteer I had Easter dinner with and the other who greets me at church knew me. However, in a college town, with many fake IDs, someone who never met me would look at a piece of plastic and deem my vote free of fraud.

I’ve heard Kobach tell a group of students during his congressional campaign that gays should not be allowed to raise children, and, if he were elected, children in gay homes would be protected and removed.

Comments

BABBOY 1 year ago

I am over this issue frankly.

I am just doing my part with the democratic party to try to get this idiot Kobach out of office.

Loretta James 1 year ago

ITS THE LAW TAKE YOUR ID WITH YOU ANYWHERE IF ASKED BY POLICE YOU SHOULD HAVE IT ON YOU.

FOR THE ELDERLY THE DMV HAVE KANSAS ID CARDS THEY MAY NOT DRIVE BUT IF THEY CASH A CHECK THEY NEED ID.

Liberty275 1 year ago

I was badly offended 3 days ago when we rented a car and had to provide photo ID. How dare they not give me a $20,000 car on my word and $100? It is an outrage. The extra work of taking out my wallet, removing my license from my wallet and handing it to the rental agent really took the joy out of my car rental experience. It was like a slap in the face.

donttreadonme 1 year ago

"Curveball2 days, 6 hours ago

Voter fraud does exist. Maybe not on a large scale, but it has to happen now and then. I remember reading that the city of Detroit had 110% voter participation in 2004. It was on page 4 or 5 in the paper and there never was any followup on the report .."

Proof? Remember, repeating a lie makes you a liar.

Does not pass the smell test. If there was just 10% over voting, that would be in the 100,000s. And nobody ever caught on? Please.

jayhawklawrence 1 year ago

Kansas is not Detroit and cows don't lay eggs.

I have been there.

Curveball 1 year ago

Voter fraud does exist. Maybe not on a large scale, but it has to happen now and then. I remember reading that the city of Detroit had 110% voter participation in 2004. It was on page 4 or 5 in the paper and there never was any followup on the report. Like most people I have to use my ID on a regular basis, but I don't think I have ever failed to have it with me when out in public. I would like to be present when the letter writer goes in and applies for SS benefits. I recently took an item back to a store and forgot the receipt and warranty papers. My fault. I had to go home and get it. I didn't really expect them to honor a return or repair without it. Without voter ID you could easily vote in place of a recently deceased voter or someone who you knew did not vote early.

IKU57 1 year ago

Why does Koback want to ruin the good ol' boy voting traditions? I like voting with a wink and a nod or the tip of the hat to get in the voting booth.. It's a great, warm feeling to have. Knowing everyone in the room.

This Koback character, is taking Obama's transformation criteria too literal.

UneasyRider 1 year ago

So Kansas with voting age population of approximately 2.1 million would have, at even a 10 % voting level equals 200,000 voters. So to think even as a wild guess that created 200 fraudulent voters and all voted same way, what election would they affect? First of all, even Koback in his mindless rants only could show approx 200 alleged fraud cases of which most weren't. This is reason for a stupid law?

UneasyRider 1 year ago

Can anyone document exactly why such a law was needed. Anecdotal stories don't count. How about actual cases where voter fraud occurred and people were prosecuted?

jayhawklawrence 1 year ago

"Voting rights are under attack in this country as state legislatures nationwide pass voter suppression laws under the pretext of preventing voter fraud and safeguarding election integrity."

There is a ton of information out there from any kind of source you want to spend time researching as to the verfication of the Republican attempt to suppress the vote and it is now considered a fact by the vast majority of the American people. Only completely clueless people still deny this.

What the letter writer points out is the human side of this issue and that is the real value of this letter. Kansas, which is now part of a conservative political experiment, is being used by powerful conservative elements, to test their political theories.

The value of this letter is in pointing out what we are losing. Trust between neighbors and friends who are forced to become part of this political farce which fundamentally goes against the spirit of what it means to be an American.

Bob Forer 1 year ago

The letter reads in part:

"I know Kris Kobach helped Arizona write laws to protect citizens from illegal immigrants. I also know that Arizona citizens who give food or water to illegals can be jailed and fined, because death from thirst or starvation deters illegals."

I know of no law that makes it illegal for an American to give food and water to an illegal alien. Not even in Arizona, or Texas for that matter.

The writer is out-of-touch with the real world.

Thinking_Out_Loud 1 year ago

I think that we are debating around things that are largely red herrings. The question, as I see it, is not whether the Voter ID burden is onerous; whether the poll worker was doing her job (or not); whether voter fraud is rampant/modest/rare; certainly it is not whether one must show IDs when buying firearms.

The most elementary question is whether the government or its agent (a poll worker, in this case) can legitimately deny me my franchise as a citizen of Kansas and the United States without due process of law. With Voter ID, the government has effectively transferred the burden from itself (to prove that I am not allowed to vote) to me (now I must prove that I am allowed to do so). It has done so without due process.

The rest of the conversation is only so much noise.

bearded_gnome 1 year ago

To the editor:

---sorry, she was just doing her job.

---oh, bringing an ID is such an hardship! oh the humanity!

---it's called, doing the process. you want a special process just for you honey? are you so special?

---irrelevant.

---irrelevant.

I also know that Arizona citizens who give food or water to illegals can be jailed and fined, ---correctly so because they're aiding and abetting in committing crimes.

because death from thirst or starvation deters illegals.

and, if he were elected, children in gay homes would be protected and removed.

When Kobach tells us that we must protect ourselves from voter fraud by insisting people known to their neighbors cannot vote without an ID, I’m left wondering who is perpetrating a fraud on democracy? ---no, more like you want a special process just for little you. taking an ID isn't so very hard, now is it?
thank you for following the law. you set an example, one that even illegal immigrants could learn from examining.

kuguardgrl13 1 year ago

Perhaps it says something about the society I've grown up in, but I had always thought that you needed to show an ID when voting even before the voter ID law was passed. I'm 21 years old and can't recall a time when I (or at least my parents) didn't need to show ID in an airport. I've had a school ID for the last 8 years. I got a passport at 14 and a learner's permit at 15. Having to show a photo ID to order a drink or when making a withdrawal at the bank has become part of my life. Even showing documentation like my birth certificate or Social Security card seems normal. I understand the LTE's hatred of Kobach, but we live in a society where proving who you are through official documents or IDs is pretty commonplace. The poll workers are just doing the job they volunteered to do. I would even show ID to my mom if she was working the polls. Chuckle about it with people you know. Unfortunately the law is the law, and your life is only worse if you don't follow it.

streetman 1 year ago

This lady must be a "low information voter." Who, by now, doesn't know they need ID to vote? And nothing "went over my head" on her letter.

1 year ago

From the LTE
"I voted provisionally on April 2."

At least you voted. As a note, In Douglas County this last election only about 16.6% of the registered voters determined the makeup of the City Commission, the School Board and the outcome of the Bond issue. I wish more people had voted. Only 8.84% voted in the primary despite the extended early voting.

Also from the LTE:
"I learned from the officious woman protecting us from voter fraud that I couldn’t vote without an ID, even if the volunteers at the table knew me."

Unfortunately, per Kobach's Law, this is the requirement, so don't take it out on the "officious woman protecting us from voter fraud." She is required to follow the law; her not doing so lends to voter fraud itself. Don't ask her to be a party to voter fraud.

I work the polls also. For this last election we worked our home precincts as near as possible. And yes, even though I knew the majority of people coming to vote, I still had to ask my neighbors and friends to show a picture ID. It's a pain, I don't like it and the law is clearly designed with voter suppression in mind. However, we have to comply with the law also; it's not a one way street. So, if you don't like it, don't take it out on the "officious woman protecting us from voter fraud" or anyone else behind the table.

Your beef is with Kobach, and I understand and probably agree with most of your reasons. That's where your real complaint is. Do something to change the law and quit kvetching.

BTW, did you go to the County Clerk's Office and show your ID so your vote could be counted or not. You never said. If you didn't, IMHO your protest was hollow.

Catalano 1 year ago

I wonder if she didn't vote last November. The photo ID law was in effect then.

verity 1 year ago

While the purpose of Kobach's law was obviously to disenfranchise undesirable voters, taking out your ire about the law on poll workers isn't going to accomplish anything besides annoying them. It is the law and they must enforce it.

It sounds like you knew what the law is and just wanted to stir up trouble. If you don't like the law, work to get it changed. If you don't like Kobach, work for his opponent in the next election. Don't take it out on the poll workers who volunteered their time. They are taking time out from their lives to support democracy.

Again, the poll workers MUST enforce the law.

Matthew Herbert 1 year ago

My 30-year old wife was carded at 23rd Street Brewery the other night, and having left her wallet at home (a clever ploy to get me to pay I'm sure!) she was refused alcoholic beverage service. Aside from the obvious compliment paid to her by the nice waitress, I am to assume that in this instance requiring identification to prove you actually have the privilege to exercise the legal right you are seeking to exercise is a process the community supports. Until I hear an outcry in Lawrence that bars checking id's disenfranchises poor drinkers, or that grocers checking id's disenfranchises poor smokers or that police officers checking id's at DUI checkpoints disenfranchises poor drivers, I refuse to believe that such is the case with voting.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year ago

If you have a bus pass, KU or otherwise, you have to show it every time you get on the bus no matter how often you get on. Same with voting. No one can violate company rules or the law because they know the person. Everyone gets treated exactly the same. That is fair.

jayhawklawrence 1 year ago

Anyone who still believes the reasoning behind voter IDs and ignores the national voter suppression efforts by the Republican Party is probably not able to link facts together in a way that we would identify as logical. Probably, their thought processes are more similar to what we would find in a cult or in the North Korean army.

For that reason, I give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they know it is BS and they simply do not care.

toe 1 year ago

If you voted for tax increases you did not need to vote. If you voted against them your vote was irrelevant. Your ID aggravation is best spent on booze.

msezdsit 1 year ago

"Because people that vote democrat are lack the intelligence or ambition to get a voter ID? Why do you think democrats won't bother getting an ID to vote? Lazy? Dumb? Tell us why you have so little faith in democrats."

This is the typical dumbed down republican response that explains everything away to "lazy" lack of "ambition" or lack of intelligence, (a necessary ingredient for republicans to sell their frauds to their fellow republicans)

Your simplistic view doesn't allow you to consider that maybe people are trying to get their id but known barriers really keep them from obtaining it. The laws are created in hopes that the barriers it creates such as not being able to get off work (not lazy), being disabled, being 98 years old, recently divorced and in the process of changing id's, long lines at the dmv and you can't afford to take offwork and find transpotation for the multiple attempts it takes or how about language barriers. The republicans are banking on the infinite barriers that voter id will create and the dumbed down explanation that people are just to lazy or to stupid. You took the bait 275. Only if everyone was just like you they wouldn't have any problem getting an id.

And as the lte suggest, there isn't even a need for the id , the real fraud is the supporters like Kobach who can always find a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Now all you have to have is a couple dozen fake id's and you can vote a couple dozen times.

msezdsit 1 year ago

Voter ID laws are only the sales pitch for their underlying purpose of suppressing and disenfranchising the will of the American voter who likely wouldn't vote republican. If you can't win a fair election then disenfranchise those who might not vote for you.

Mike Turzai, Pennsylvania GOP House Majority Leader: Voter ID Will Allow Mitt Romney To Win State.

In Wisconsin, the state’s new voter ID law could make the difference for Mitt Romney, according to the State Senate Minority Assistant Leader Glenn Grothman (R).

While the lte makes valid points about Kobach and real problems that the voter id argument can't win, 275 can't make a valid case for Kobach so they choose to whine about the lte. I think it is laughably obvious who is doing the whining L275.

JohnBrown 1 year ago

The only voter fraud I've seen are the politicians in Topeka who constantly lie to us about their real vision of Kansas...the so-called Free State.

Our freedoms are being trampled, one new law at a time.

JohnBrown

Liberty275 1 year ago

"You must have walked to the polling place, or perhaps taken a leisurely bike ride. "

Or wrote fiction so she could whine about Kobach.

Matthew Herbert 1 year ago

You must have walked to the polling place, or perhaps taken a leisurely bike ride. Or maybe, you were the ONE riding the T bus. I say this because CERTAINLY you didn't drive there without a license. Doing so is, of course, illegal. But perhaps you would like that changed too. After all, that's probably a conspiracy to keep poor people from driving.

UneasyRider 1 year ago

Kobach, a master at creating solutions for problems that don't exist. How many proven cases of voter fraud have there been in last 100 years? How much money has Kobach made for writing and then defending these laws in court in his career?

Brock Masters 1 year ago

How could you not know you needed an ID to vote? It has been publicized and discussed for a couple of years now?

Why blame the poll worker who was just doing their job properly? They didn't make the rules but are expected to follow them.

Steve Jacob 1 year ago

I just don't see the issue with voter ID, especially if you have a drivers licence. You can't do anything anymore without some form of ID. It's not going away, so we have to deal with it.