Archive for Friday, April 5, 2013

Topeka man injured in accidental shooting at Perry Lake

April 5, 2013

A 22-year-old Topeka man was injured in an accidental shooting at Perry Lake Friday morning.

A sheriff's office deputy was called to St. Francis Health Center in Topeka about 6 a.m., said Jefferson County Sheriff Jeff Herrig, where Brace A. Turbot was being treated for a non-life threatening gunshot wound in his leg.

Turbot had been camping with friends in Perry State Park, on the west side of the lake, and had been drinking, according to a news release from Herrig's office. While attempting to take apart his handgun, he shot himself in the leg. The sheriff's office continued to investigate the incident Friday.

Comments

KansasLiberal 2 years ago

What an idiot. Why would you need a gun while camping at Lake Perry?

elliottaw 2 years ago

Same reason you would need one at your kids t-ball game, school, hospital, court house, neighbors house, ext.....this is 'merika dang it

kawrivercrow 2 years ago

What is in season right now that you would use a pistol for?

Frederic Gutknecht IV 2 years ago

Not that it matters, but rabbit season never ends in Kansas. Bunnies are fair game all year long, and there are few restrictions regarding which tool is used. ("Shotguns no larger than 10 gauge with shot only; centerfire and rimfire rifles and handguns (fully automatic weapons illegal); muzzleloading shotguns, crossbows, rifles, and pistols; cap and ball pistols; pellet guns; BB guns; bows and arrows; sling shots (not legal for crow); and falconry. Box traps are legal for rabbits during legal shooting hours only, except that they are legal 24 hours a day March 1-Nov. 1. Shooting Hours: One-half hour before sunrise to sunset." - Kansas Dept. of Wildlife and Parks).

Liberty275 2 years ago

He's already dead.

But that makes sense. We used to hunt with pistols, which meant we walked around the woods for an hour then shot cans the rest of the day. I really like guns, but I'm against all forms of killing without a pretty good reason.

I'm sure real hunters are out there, but I don't want to kill stuff. I'm on your side, against the kneejerk reacticrats that want to further restrict gun ownership right now because they think tragedies give them more sway. Also, call me a hypocrite for eating beef all you want. Deer tastes like rust. I don't see how people eat it.

The term "kneejerk reacticrats" is hereby made public domain. Use it freely and often.

webmocker 2 years ago

"Senate approves bill allowing alcohol consumption in Statehouse."

"A Kansas House committee is considering a bill to expand the number of public buildings where people with concealed-carry permits may bring firearms."

We can only hope . . .

Danielle Brunin 2 years ago

"Hey guys, I have a great idea. I'm going to camp at the lake, get really drunk, and then, in the middle of the night, I'll just go ahead and try to take apart my handgun." Yep, sounds like a sound plan. I wonder if he said, "Hey, hold my beer!" before he got started. I'm not against guns or concealed carry, but irresponsible people like this should not have access to them.

kawrivercrow 2 years ago

The officer was called to the ER at 6 AM. The staff would have stabilized the patient before calling the officer and the patient would have had to be transported to the ER even before that. The event probably happened closer to 4 AM. Also, the article clearly says he had been drinking.

This was criminal negligence and he is lucky he didn't kill one of his buddies. I would prosecute him for at least a misdemeanor.

Danielle Brunin 2 years ago

Uh, it says he was drinking, and decided to take apart his gun. Reading comprehension much, Groucho Marx?

wdl 2 years ago

One of the topics of discussion in the concealed carry training course is the restriction of carrying or handling a fire arm when legally intoxicated, .08% in Kansas. No where in the news article did it mention that this individual possessed a concealed carry permit, although he may have in fact been carrying a concealed weapon. Some of the individuals made reference to concealed carry in their comments. This is exactly how misinformation, uninformed opinions are formed and conveyed to others. The gun topic in general is a red hot one right now. Comments made that are not based on fact are only misleading at best. I would also think it would be common sense by now that booze and firearms, cars, motorcycles, boats, power tools, heavy equipment, etc. don't mix well. Why can't we get it!!!

buffalo63 2 years ago

Is there a law about handling firearms while intoxicated? If so, was the individual tested? Maybe there should be a law if there isn't. After all the NRA says we should enforce laws.

KSManimal 2 years ago

Here's a story about a drunk guy who shoots himself in the leg. What we don't see are stories about all the sober people who also interacted with guns that day and DIDN'T shoot themselves. Maybe you gun-control folks are going after the wrong product....

elliottaw 2 years ago

That's because we love to peddle fear to people in this country

UneasyRider 2 years ago

You just described the NRA's primary goal.

Charles L Bloss Jr 2 years ago

Absolutely right. The reason we don't hear the good things is because bad things get more viewers and readers.

verity 2 years ago

"Turbot had been camping with friends in Perry State Park, on the west side of the lake, and had been drinking, according to a news release from Herrig's office."

Maybe he was just drinking lake water?

James Minor 2 years ago

Doesn't Perry Lake water go into our drinking water? Maybe he was intoxicated from the lake water causing him to shoot all the NRA demons in his sleep!!!

speedy47 2 years ago

You know conceal and carry might just become the new male birth control. They're getting closer all the time. (:

Bob Forer 2 years ago

Nothing to see here. Merely another "responsible" gun owner attempting to take apart his gun in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere while drunk. Move on people.

chootspa 2 years ago

What they needed was another person there with a gun to shoot him in the leg before he could shoot himself in the leg.

webmocker 2 years ago

superswagg56 28 minutes ago

"When this article was first posted, there was no mention of drinking and it said he was cleaning his shotgun. Come on LJ!! Get the facts straight so you don't make people who comment look like idiots."

Within 20 minutes after this article was first posted, and long before superswagg's comment doubting drinking was involved, the article mentioned that the shooter had been drinking. In this case, unless they removed the drinking comment, and then reinserted it, LJW is not at fault. Perhaps reading comprehension is the problem?

DanR 2 years ago

Oh, people are going to look like idiots even if the facts are all in. Let's see... camping in Perry, Kansas (dangerous!!! I'm skeered. Better take my gunz!), self-inflicted gunshot wound in the middle of the night. Probably just a misunderstanding of some kind. Seriously, what kind of idiot would defend that guy KNOWING all the facts? (My apologies to people who know the guy and think he's a great person--which he might very well be--who, other than shooting himself, proudly represents the 2nd amendment). Responsible gun owners ought to be mocking this guy.

I'm still waiting for the LJW to do a story about me and my life yesterday, a whole day when I didn't shoot myself. Didn't today yet. Probably won't tomorrow either. I might even go camping--and I still won't shoot myself. That's a huge story right there.

Thinking_Out_Loud 2 years ago

I think people who comment on breaking news stories look like idiots not because the paper fails to "get the facts straight," but because the commenters jump to conclusions without waiting for the facts to come out, first.

Dixie Jones 2 years ago

Ok out of the persons who commented, who was there ???? exactly you werent, you have no clue what happened, nor do i therefore im simply going to say. stop judging if you dont know the situation. and i hope this young man has a healthy recovery and he and his friends have learned a hard lesson, that could of turned out so much more worse.

cateastrophe 2 years ago

Obviously the solution to this problem is to eradicate ALL GUNS, right? Makes total sense. Just like how making drugs illegal totally wiped them off the grid.

tomatogrower 2 years ago

Oh come on. Can't we agree that some people shouldn't have guns. Really? Even you NRA members have to agree with this.