Archive for Saturday, September 15, 2012

Shining light

September 15, 2012

To the editor:

We are all encouraged to walk wisely as Carl Burkhead has stated in his Sept. 10 letter. Matthew 5:16 teaches believers what we must do if we are to serve Jesus and so make disciples of those who do not walk wisely. Chapter 5 starts with “blessed are” then gives a list that Jesus mentions so that his followers will be especially aware so his light shines through us. In verse 13, Jesus teaches us that we are the salt of the earth, “but if your salt has lost its saltiness, you will be thrown out since you are no longer good for anything.”

We are to let our light shine before men that they may see your good deeds and praise God. In verse 42, we are instructed by Jesus to give money to the poor person who asks and do not turn away from the poor one who wants to borrow from you. Giving to the poor has no value for the giver if he does not have the love of Jesus.

If you sell all you have and give it to the poor but have not love, it counts for nothing (I Corinthians 13:8). Jesus commands us to love one another as he has loved us. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you if you were the poor and the person you ask had the financial means to give you the funds you needed.

Comments

Crazy_Larry 1 year, 7 months ago

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you..." People look at me funny every time I slap their buttocks...Why? I enjoy having my buttocks smacked and wish I could get more of it.

Armstrong 1 year, 7 months ago

Interesting how the murdering Muslim lot of late gets a pass but Christians seem to always get the libs backlash. At least be in step with your disrespect for all religions kids.

ophiuchus 1 year, 7 months ago

So, tange, are you suggesting Jesus was a communist?!

Armstrong 1 year, 7 months ago

How is it all the religion haters are the ones pulling out all the quotes and versus from the bible ? Sounds like lots of issues with these folks.

tange 1 year, 7 months ago

WristTwister... um... twists words:
"Clearly, liberals and their pervasive Godless, secular rants are commonplace on this web site."
...
"If the voice vote taken at the DNC in Charlotte is any indication, at least half of the Democratic Party did not want God put back into the platform."

The problem with "putting God back into the platform" is that those who would desire only to inject their circumscribed and truncated religious perspectives. Make no mistake, there are no more godless people than those who publicly profess their "devotion" to God. Jesus taught about that. Modern American "Christians" apparently missed the sermon.

/ or maybe they just went blind on the road to Damascus

msezdsit 1 year, 7 months ago

Anything referencing the word "burkhead" is not worth printing or reading. These fringe lunitics are entitled, by our constitution, to preach their wingnut fringe bs but the constitution doesn't require anyone to listen or read it. Given that the LJW has a choice as to which lte they publish, I would think they would pass on this crap and print something with some thought and some contribution to the readers of this paper.

Kendall Simmons 1 year, 7 months ago

Personally, I think the Golden Rule is a darned good way to live your life...after all, we're all in this together...and it predates Christianity by a very, very, VERY long time.

And what's with this whole "Giving to the poor has no value for the giver if he does not have the love of Jesus" routine? I was raised to believe that a gift was just that...a gift. That we were NOT supposed to expect anything in return!

verity 1 year, 7 months ago

I'm not denigrating anyone's Christian beliefs. I'm denigrating the way some Christians act. I'm denigrating their attitude towards those who have different beliefs. I denigrating those who make untrue generalizations about anybody who they think isn't a Christian---you know, like the ones who continually bash liberals and Democrats but are all you're trying to take away my rights when somebody points out their hypocrisy. That seems to be all you've got.

There are a lot of Christians who are liberals and Democrats---and who make their best effort to follow their Christian beliefs. Met with a number of them this evening while working on a political campaign. Republicans coming together also to work for Democratic candidates. They don't like the kind of "Christians" who have taken over Kansas government either.

WristTwister 1 year, 7 months ago

"I'm probably going to be sorry that I bothered to weigh in on this."

Some of us are sorry for you. Clearly, liberals and their pervasive Godless, secular rants are commonplace on this web site. The occassional LTE or comment that even hints at Christian beliefs is denigrated unmercifully. It's not only an attack on our first amendment rights, but as one commentor has so eloquently stated "I'm tired of that kind of crap being belched out in every discussion".

verity 1 year, 7 months ago

I'm probably going to be sorry that I bothered to weigh in on this. I actually did try to read the letter, but I'm really not sure what the point is.

I don't know anyone who thinks that people should be supported by others if they can take care of themselves. I don't know anyone who doesn't think that people should "be taught to fish" rather than depending on being "given a fish." I'm tired of that kind of crap being belched out in every discussion. There are a lot of people who are working to help others to try to help themselves and they certainly are not all Christians.

I'm also tired of the condescending attitude of the kind of Christian who wrote this letter and some of those posting here. Too many Christians I know are not "walking wisely," at least not according to their good book, but they still want to judge and tell others how to live. You do not do your cause any good by being ugly and annoying. Back when I was being raised as a Christian, I was taught that you shouldn't have to tell people about it---it should be obvious by the way you live.

Too many people talking the talk, but . . .

beatrice 1 year, 7 months ago

So maybe those who believe in Jesus should stop building castles for themselves and give that money to the poor instead?

tange 1 year, 7 months ago

“... but if your salt has lost its saltiness, you will be thrown out since you are no longer good for anything.”

Woody Allen couldn't have said it better!

defenestrator 1 year, 7 months ago

"In verse 42, we are instructed by Jesus to give money to the poor person who asks and do not turn away from the poor one who wants to borrow from you."

I happen to be the poorest person that has ever existed. Since there are no people poorer than me, do I still have to follow Jesus' instructions? I mean, yes, there are other poor people, but I have nothing to give to anyone. Does Jesus look down on me for not giving money to other poor people? Will I burn in Hell?

Armstrong 1 year, 7 months ago

Because ignorance is bliss, right boys

classclown 1 year, 7 months ago

I stopped reading at the first reference to the bible. If you continued reading it, then that's on you.

observant 1 year, 7 months ago

Really wish the JW would stop publishing weekly religious sermons. Save them for church for those who wish to attend.

Don Brennaman 1 year, 7 months ago

The history of war is the history of religion. Back of flat earthers. Jesus drives a ufo and only speaks to republicans..