Archive for Saturday, September 15, 2012

Shining light

September 15, 2012

To the editor:

We are all encouraged to walk wisely as Carl Burkhead has stated in his Sept. 10 letter. Matthew 5:16 teaches believers what we must do if we are to serve Jesus and so make disciples of those who do not walk wisely. Chapter 5 starts with “blessed are” then gives a list that Jesus mentions so that his followers will be especially aware so his light shines through us. In verse 13, Jesus teaches us that we are the salt of the earth, “but if your salt has lost its saltiness, you will be thrown out since you are no longer good for anything.”

We are to let our light shine before men that they may see your good deeds and praise God. In verse 42, we are instructed by Jesus to give money to the poor person who asks and do not turn away from the poor one who wants to borrow from you. Giving to the poor has no value for the giver if he does not have the love of Jesus.

If you sell all you have and give it to the poor but have not love, it counts for nothing (I Corinthians 13:8). Jesus commands us to love one another as he has loved us. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you if you were the poor and the person you ask had the financial means to give you the funds you needed.

Comments

classclown 2 years, 3 months ago

I stopped reading at the first reference to the bible. If you continued reading it, then that's on you.

Armstrong 2 years, 3 months ago

Because ignorance is bliss, right boys

Armstrong 2 years, 3 months ago

Correct "never said I read it" no need to keep proving me right on a daily basis

voevoda 2 years, 3 months ago

Clear Biblical answer here, defenestrator: "If we give eagerly according to our means, that is acceptable to God; he does not ask for what we do not have. There is no question of relieving others at the cost of hardship to yourselves; it is a question of equality. At the moment your surplus meets their need, but one day your need may be met from their surplus. The aim is equality." II Corinthians 8:12-14. However, Mr. Stroker is in error when he asserts, "Giving to the poor has no value for the giver if he does not have the love of Jesus." See Luke 6:32-35, where Jesus explicitly teaches "If you love only those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them. Again, if you do good only to those who do good to you, what credit is there in that? Even sinners do as much. And if you lend only where you expect to be repaid, what credit is there in that? Even sinners lend to each other to be repaid in full. But you must love your enemies and do good, and lend without expecting any return; and you will have a rich reward: you will be sons of the Most High, because he himself is kind to the ungrateful and the wicked." Clearly, if Jesus expects ordinary human beings to act generously towards people whom they do not love, Jesus himself must be prepared to do the same. That means rewarding generosity to the poor, even from those people who do not feel loving towards Jesus himself.

beatrice 2 years, 3 months ago

So maybe those who believe in Jesus should stop building castles for themselves and give that money to the poor instead?

tomatogrower 2 years, 3 months ago

Many of these CINO's love to act holier than thou, but they ignore what Jesus taught. I call them Old Testament Christians, which means they aren't Christian at all.

Armstrong 2 years, 3 months ago

Many Christians choose the Teach a man to fish vs Give a man a fish philosophy. Unfortunately the fish takers seem to think they are somehow entitled to part of the fishermans catch and are shocked anyone would expect them to fend for themselves.

Lisa Medsker 2 years, 3 months ago

Unfortunately, those who are taught to fish are then expected to give their catch to those who already have most of the fish, since laws say that those who have all of the fish need not fish for themselves. They might give one or two fish back to those who caught them, and call it a "handout".

voevoda 2 years, 3 months ago

Let's not insult the Old Testament, which contains extensive instructions about seeing to the needs of others and not behaving arrogantly.

verity 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm probably going to be sorry that I bothered to weigh in on this. I actually did try to read the letter, but I'm really not sure what the point is.

I don't know anyone who thinks that people should be supported by others if they can take care of themselves. I don't know anyone who doesn't think that people should "be taught to fish" rather than depending on being "given a fish." I'm tired of that kind of crap being belched out in every discussion. There are a lot of people who are working to help others to try to help themselves and they certainly are not all Christians.

I'm also tired of the condescending attitude of the kind of Christian who wrote this letter and some of those posting here. Too many Christians I know are not "walking wisely," at least not according to their good book, but they still want to judge and tell others how to live. You do not do your cause any good by being ugly and annoying. Back when I was being raised as a Christian, I was taught that you shouldn't have to tell people about it---it should be obvious by the way you live.

Too many people talking the talk, but . . .

Armstrong 2 years, 3 months ago

And too many libs just talk and talk and talk and.......

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 3 months ago

It's a lib thang--you wouldn't understand. =:-|

deec 2 years, 3 months ago

So disagreeing with your brand of god is an attack on your first amendment rights?

JayCat_67 2 years, 3 months ago

Some of us are sorry for you. Clearly the rightwingers and their pervasive God fearing, bible-thumping rants are commonplace on this web site. The occasional LTE or comment that even hints at lack of religious belief is denigrated unmercifully. It's not only an attack on our first amendment rights, but as one commentor has so eloquently stated, "I'm tired of that kind of crap being belched out in every discussion.

No one is attacking your first amendment rights. Every time you exercise those rights, you will have those who disagree with you and challenge your point of view. If you can't handle it, that's your problem.

verity 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm not denigrating anyone's Christian beliefs. I'm denigrating the way some Christians act. I'm denigrating their attitude towards those who have different beliefs. I denigrating those who make untrue generalizations about anybody who they think isn't a Christian---you know, like the ones who continually bash liberals and Democrats but are all you're trying to take away my rights when somebody points out their hypocrisy. That seems to be all you've got.

There are a lot of Christians who are liberals and Democrats---and who make their best effort to follow their Christian beliefs. Met with a number of them this evening while working on a political campaign. Republicans coming together also to work for Democratic candidates. They don't like the kind of "Christians" who have taken over Kansas government either.

verity 2 years, 3 months ago

No, that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with a person's personal religious beliefs. Many Christians also feel strongly about keeping church and state separate. If one studies history, it becomes obvious that combining church and state is bad for both. Secular power certainly corrupted the Catholic Church during the dark and middle ages, leading to a very bloody Reformation. Unfortunately, too many of the Reformists took on that same secular power.

We see that happening in our state and country and do not want to make that same mistake.

Why is it OK for people to continually denigrate secularists and athiest and yet cry persecution of Christians when they are called out for their behaviour?

msezdsit 2 years, 3 months ago

"There are a lot of Christians who are liberals and Democrats---and who make their best effort to follow their Christian beliefs."

This is true but understated. There are probably more non christians who behave more like christians than the christians who are criticizing them. The true test of someones worth is how they behave and not that all they have to do is make a claim to christianity and therefore god given right to trample all over anyone they want. Using christianity as a battering ram or to claim some kind of ethnocentric superiority is not christianity at all nor are the people who practice this.

Kendall Simmons 2 years, 3 months ago

Personally, I think the Golden Rule is a darned good way to live your life...after all, we're all in this together...and it predates Christianity by a very, very, VERY long time.

And what's with this whole "Giving to the poor has no value for the giver if he does not have the love of Jesus" routine? I was raised to believe that a gift was just that...a gift. That we were NOT supposed to expect anything in return!

deec 2 years, 3 months ago

You are absolutely right about the golden rule. That's probably why every major religion has it as a major belief.

msezdsit 2 years, 3 months ago

Anything referencing the word "burkhead" is not worth printing or reading. These fringe lunitics are entitled, by our constitution, to preach their wingnut fringe bs but the constitution doesn't require anyone to listen or read it. Given that the LJW has a choice as to which lte they publish, I would think they would pass on this crap and print something with some thought and some contribution to the readers of this paper.

Armstrong 2 years, 3 months ago

From the party of peace and understanding. Thanks for the lesson in being an elite liberal.

msezdsit 2 years, 3 months ago

My comment is well supported by burkhead and the many comments posted by people like you. Calling me names is what I would expect from posters like you who find themselves on the losing side of the debate based on facts.

Armstrong 2 years, 3 months ago

Show me anywhere on this thread I have called you a name. Your comment is supported by the other liberal posters and nobody else. Before you shoot your mouth off make sure it's loaded.

msezdsit 2 years, 3 months ago

Thanks for the lesson in being an elite liberal.

msezdsit 2 years, 3 months ago

I hope you intended that post to be satire. The largest portion of the commentary of the crybaby republicans crying is all the accusations of all the people who they aren't willing to spend their money on to help out .The party of me me me, while the dems are pushing for social policies that will cost them money in order to help other people. Im sure you have many posts supporting just that. A flippin and a floppin you will go.

Armstrong 2 years, 3 months ago

Money is easier to understand if you make it rather then take it

deec 2 years, 3 months ago

It isn't necessary to cherry pick. The Bible and Jesus are extremely clear on the subject.

"No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money."
-Matthew 6:24

"Then Jesus said to his disciples, 'I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.'"
-Matthew 19:23-24

More here:

beatrice 2 years, 3 months ago

Are you sure it doesn't lie in the willingness to tell lies about others?

And what was the name of the person who used to be around here who always called Democrats the "Party of Atheists"? BAA was it?

Yep, it was BAA. But he got removed. I'm sure he would be thrilled to know that there is someone new on here who has written a lot of posts in recent days carrying the very same argument.

Gee, too bad BAA isn't still around. After all, the LJWorld doesn't allow people back on after they have been banned.

Armstrong 2 years, 3 months ago

How is it all the religion haters are the ones pulling out all the quotes and versus from the bible ? Sounds like lots of issues with these folks.

deec 2 years, 3 months ago

That's probably because the Christian faith supports a liberal perspective.

There also tends to be an assumption by Christians that non-Christians haven't read the Bible. However, given that Christianity and to a lesser extent Judaism are the predominant religions in the nation, most liberals were raised in Judeo-Christian homes.

Armstrong 2 years, 3 months ago

Most liberals were raised in Judeo - Christian homes ? How do you account for the anti-religious tone then ? Poor upbringing ?

deec 2 years, 3 months ago

Thinking. Learning. Studying other faiths and philosophies. Taking to heart the words of the Teachers and not the words of the interpreters with their own human agendas.

You assume being anti-religious is the same thing as being anti-God.

Please don't make disparaging remarks about people's parents. It is unkind and certainly doesn't reflect the teachings of Jesus. He and many other Teachers) were big on the Golden Rule.

verity 2 years, 3 months ago

Pretty sure the early Christians were communists---at least some of them. That's what I was taught by my conservative Christian teachers.

Armstrong 2 years, 3 months ago

Interesting how the murdering Muslim lot of late gets a pass but Christians seem to always get the libs backlash. At least be in step with your disrespect for all religions kids.

Armstrong 2 years, 3 months ago

It's a straight forward question, why dont you answer it

verity 2 years, 3 months ago

No, murdering Muslims do not get a pass. I don't see anybody here defending them. If they are, point it out and I will tell them they are wrong.

No Muslim comes on these boards trying to shove their religion down our throats. I've not seen any Muslims on here trying to get laws passed supporting their God and religion.

I don't want any religion taking over our government. Looks to me like we're in a lot more danger from radical Christians trying to do that than any other religion.

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 3 months ago

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you..." People look at me funny every time I slap their buttocks...Why? I enjoy having my buttocks smacked and wish I could get more of it.