Letters to the Editor

Empathy plea

September 12, 2012

To the editor:

Jana Rea’s letter (Public Forum, Sept. 7) represents exactly one reason we have growing gridlock in government. She cries out “fraud, people working our unemployment system.”  Sorry Jana, my guess is you’ve never been among the unemployed, just like those who think like you.

People happy collecting unemployment without working? I’ll believe that when I see letters from the unemployed telling us how happy they are. Meantime, I suggest you, Lynn Jenkins, and your group, leaning so far right you can’t stand up straight, try walking in the shoes of those you so eagerly demonize.

Learn to understand before painting the unemployed as something they are not. All they want is a handout? What they want and need is a hand up. If your group understood that, there would be fewer biased letters to the editor.

You should know what the truth is before you talk about it.

Comments

Armstrong 1 year, 11 months ago

Chucky, been there done the unemployment thing 6 weeks of it. It took 1 solid month of sending out resumes and making phone calls but guess what if you really want to work you can and the new job is better then the old one, pay, benefits,perks..... So Chucky have you ever been among the unemployed or are you just spouting off ?

parrothead8 1 year, 11 months ago

Wasn't that the point he was making? That people who are unemployed don't enjoy it, and would rather have jobs than handouts?

jaywalker 1 year, 11 months ago

Two poor LTE's on the same subject?

"People happy collecting unemployment without working? I’ll believe that when I see letters from the unemployed telling us how happy they are. "

Uh huh. Need some letters from those collecting welfare and are happy to merely suck at the teet of government assistance, too? Otherwise, it doesn't happen? And only a fool would "comprehend" Rea's or Jenkin's comments were meant as blanket statements regarding ALL those on unemployment.

Pathetic.

Charles L Bloss Jr 1 year, 11 months ago

My wife has been unemployed several times, through no fault of her own. She collected unemployment as she looked hard for another job. She has always found one, as she is a very hard working lady, and hates being unemployed. She was not happy collecting unemployment, she hated it, but we had bills to pay. I am retired on a fixed income which is not enough. I hope that the people thinking how happy unemployed people are, get to experience it for themselves.

jaywalker 1 year, 11 months ago

It's not meant as a catch-all, Lynn. Get a grip.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 1 year, 11 months ago

Unemployment should be paid as a decreasing over time benefit. It might also be used to augment an underemployed situation. I have a real problem with it being paid at full amounts for 99 weeks. Studies have shown that many or most of those drawing benefits get some type of employment within 6 weeks of being cut off. Others file for and get onto the disability roles.

The system is broke and full of fraud.

Trumbull 1 year, 11 months ago

I agree. Actually the system is set up similar to what you propose. When I was unemployed, I worked part-time while looking for full time work and had my weekly benefit reduced. I am full time now, but still a bit underemployed. Not sure I will ever get back to my previous level of pay. Things are tuff.

mycatsrightorwrong 1 year, 11 months ago

Charles, sadly, that's not how these peoples minds work. There's growing evidence that those on the far right have less empathy than the normal, caring citizens that look out for each other: http://www.yourmorals.org/blog/2011/10/the-tea-party-and-compromise/

While you and I probably pay our taxes feeling at least slight satisfaction in supporting a cop or teacher's salary (or at least feel like we get a bargain for all the good we receive from public works/services), these people are somewhat sub-human, and simply grit their teeth thinking that they have to be part of state or national community.

Take solace in knowing that most of these people are older, and hopefully a good portion of them will be dead in the next 20 years.