Letters to the Editor

Walk wisely

September 10, 2012

To the editor:

In this time of idolatry, perverted sex, premeditated murder, greed, character assassination, killing of the unborn, political hatred, fiscal irresponsibility, etc. (see II Timothy 3:1-5 for an expanded list); Ephesians. 5:15-16 says, “Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil.” How do we walk wisely? We do it by following God’s righteous standards and trusting Him even in the worst of situations.

Why is this such a good choice? Because only He can fulfill the truth of Romans 8:28-29: “And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.” Why do we want to conform to the image of Jesus? Because it pleases God the father and is a witness of His love to others. That is how we deal with the evil of this age.

Can we do it in our own strength?  No, as Jesus said in John 15:5: “I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.” Let’s be fruitful so that others may see our good works and glorify our Father in heaven (Matthew 5:16).

Comments

Crazy_Larry 1 year, 7 months ago

Hey Carl! Thanks for the spiel. Keep crossing the street against the light! Jesus is your copilot.

Linda Endicott 1 year, 7 months ago

Is it Sunday again already? Wow, that was a short week...

tange 1 year, 7 months ago

talking the talk
spiritually quenched
walking the walk
in the drink, drenched

verity 1 year, 7 months ago

I clicked on this thinking I was going to get an article about safety while walking.

Really.

Was I ever disappointed.

WristTwister 1 year, 7 months ago

The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution is part of the Bill of Rights. The amendment prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion, impeding the free exercise of religion, abridging the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting the petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances.

Sad to see the left wingers in this forum attempting to unilaterally abolish our first amendment rights. It's even sadder to see our President and his administration unilaterally destroying our Constitution with Executive Orders, Executive Privilge and selective enforcement of our laws. The secular left is so filled with hate and negativity one wonders how they survive.

Katara 1 year, 7 months ago

Whenever I read one of Mr. Burkhead's letters, this one always comes to mind.

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law.

I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. ... End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of God's Law and how to follow them.

Armstrong 1 year, 7 months ago

For our elite left leaners

Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it. Pope John Paul II Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/god.html#smup4d6e9VDFCc5Y.99

rockchalker52 1 year, 7 months ago

ooh, wish I'd gotten a look/see at that cait & snap slapfest! You iz both cool. I bet ya both got a bloody nose, din't ya?

somedude20 1 year, 7 months ago

Hey, I just met you and you"re kinda crazy, here is Bert Nash's number(785 843-9192), so call them maybe

Flap Doodle 1 year, 7 months ago

Pastor_Bedtime 1 year, 7 months ago

And for those who don't follow this advice, well, we'll just mandate it soon. After all, the only Americans who count are Christian, right? And more specifically, the kind of Christian who makes sure to keep track of the path others choose, and who will act as God's hall monitor if necessary to mandate his faith upon all. And if you refuse Carl's redirection, you are intolerant and bigoted. Do they still let this guy teach? Seems like Liberty U would be better suited for Carl.

voevoda 1 year, 7 months ago

II Timothy 3:1-5 turns out to be quite different from what Mr. Burkhead said:

"Remember, the final age of this world is to be a time of turmoil! People will love nothing but self and money; they will be boastful, arrogant, and abusive; disobedient to parents, devoid of gratitude, piety, and natural affection; they will be implacable in their hatreds, scandalmongers, uncontrolled and violent, hostile to all goodness, perfidious, foolhardy, swollen with self-importance. They will love their pleasures more than their God. While preserving the outward form of religion, they are a standing denial of its power. Keep clear of them."

No allusion to premeditated murder. No allusion to abortion. No allusion to idolatry. No allusion to political hatred. No allusion to fiscal irresponsibility. A lot about greed, arrogance, hatred. And keeping up a pretence of piety while hating others.

Glenn Reed 1 year, 7 months ago

"This is your brain. This is your brain on religion. Any questions?"

Liberty_One 1 year, 7 months ago

I think this stuff gets printed when no one sends in good LTEs. Some of you need to buck up and write some good and interesting letters. I've had a few printed so surely ya'll can get them in too.

consumer1 1 year, 7 months ago

A profit will be rejected by his own people.

SageonPage 1 year, 7 months ago

It is foolish to scoff at God and his word. Standing before him whom knows our every thought and action and having the power to send you to eternity in darkness or into his glorious light should cause one to think solemnly about his future after this short life.

FalseHopeNoChange 1 year, 7 months ago

Any 'complex' "critical thinking", with a touch of nuanced "social justice" upright knows, Sky God suggestions do not work.

In an "infinite universe" there can only be "finite" possibilities that 'do not' include Sky Gods. Complex, profanely Liberal uprights need only 'pell mell' carnal knowledge to "Walk" the 'discovery' of profound anti-Christ turpitude, fitting for non-consensual fun.

Falsy 9:10

dipweed 1 year, 7 months ago

We will stone the adulterers until death, then cast them into a burning pit of fire where they will burn for eternity. Oh, and by the way, God loves you!

Darrell Lea 1 year, 7 months ago

I don't get it. Why does stuff like this even get printed? I guess the heading "Opinion" is a pretty broad heading.

If I can come up with some pointless diatribe relating to some other sacred text (such as the Koran) can I get that printed here too?

uggadyboogadyboo 1 year, 7 months ago

الموقع الرسمي للهيئة العامة للاذاعة والتلفزيون - سورية . زوروا موقعنا للاطلاع على آخر الأخبار و لمتابعة الاحداث بالصوت والصورة.

better get use to it. Jawhawks will now be known as the fighting camels.

Paul R Getto 1 year, 7 months ago

Say goodbye to cheeseburgers, folks.

Ragingbear 1 year, 7 months ago

Ok. I plan on following the "law" set forth in the Bible. I intend to see you and your family stoned to death immediately for everything you have done in your life. Ahhhh. Feel the love!

Don Brennaman 1 year, 7 months ago

disgusting waste of space by th ljw

oneeye_wilbur 1 year, 7 months ago

Has the writer shared tis info with Fred phelps?