Archive for Monday, September 10, 2012

Statehouse Live: Brownback will speak at Lied Center tonight on taxes, economy

September 10, 2012

Gov. Sam Brownback will tout his tax cuts as key to economic growth this evening at the Lied Center, and his economic team will hit the road to do the same.

Brownback is speaking at 7 p.m. as the Kansas University School of Business 2012 Anderson Chandler Lecture. The event is free and open to the public.

Earlier this year, Brownback signed into law sweeping tax cuts that will reduce state individual income tax rates and exempt the owners of nearly 200,000 partnerships, sole proprietorships and other businesses from income taxes.

Brownback says the tax cuts will stimulate the economy and create jobs, but critics say the cuts are reckless and unfair, and will result in cuts to schools and other government functions. Legislative researchers say the cuts will produce a cumulative budget shortfall of $2.5 billion over the next six years.

Meanwhile, members of Brownback's Cabinet will visit seven cities on Tuesday and Wednesday to meet with business owners, economic development officials and the public about the tax changes.

Commerce Secretary Pat George, Revenue Secretary Nick Jordan, Labor Secretary Karin Brownless, and Securities Commissioner Aaron Jack will participate in what is being called the Kansas Small Business Empowerment Tour.

The officials will hold meetings in Manhattan, Norton, Hays, Dodge City, Hutchinson, Wichita and Independence.

The officials will also discuss the state's latest efforts in recruiting businesses and provide an update on the Rural Opportunity Zone program.

Comments

verity 1 year, 7 months ago

Wonder if the Phelphses will be there.

Wonder how many besides students doing a class requirement will show up.

I wonder so many things.

observant 1 year, 7 months ago

Heard that to get admitted you must show a Republican voter registration card, then swear on a bible that you will believe every lie brownie spouts.

Mike Ford 1 year, 7 months ago

talking nonsense to simpletons.......will our three trolls be there tonight? false and sageonpage tell us what the wizard said tommorrow.....

Steven Gaudreau 1 year, 7 months ago

I believe Bozo made the claim that most small businesses were owned by the middle class so isnt this tax cut a tax cut for the middle class business owners?

headdoctor 1 year, 7 months ago

I do not like Brownback nor any part of his various monumental screw ups so far. I really do not think his plan will do anything but hurt Kansas. I will gladly speak out against the mistakes he has already made and there are plenty of opportunities to complain about on those subjects. At the same time I do not want to sink to the level the usual Obama haters do of complaining that things weren't fixed 24 hours after he took office. It doesn't matter if I like him or not. He is the current Governor and except for voting in November for those against him there is nothing I can try to do about that until he is up for reelection. I think his new tax laws are a train wreck in progress but I will not tear him a complete new one on that subject since the bulk of his new law doesn't even start to go into effect until January 2013. I hope by the time the rest of it kicks in in 2015 that he isn't still Governor and perhaps the law can be changed then to salvage what is left of Kansas economy.

tomatogrower 1 year, 7 months ago

Wow, I've been waiting for all those businesses to start relocating to Kansas and all the jobs to open. Waiting and waiting. Did I hear a moving truck? No, still waiting.

autie 1 year, 7 months ago

the point? I tracked this stuff since it first came up. He laid the ground work for the tax reductions more than a year ago. ALEC refined has talking points and then it all got put in the budget bill and the Senate got snookered into passing what most thought would be sent back for omnibus talks..but then at the last minute got passed...and bingo. Don't think I haven't emailed my legislators from day one my thoughts on this...what do you mean wait and see what he has to say...that bucket got knocked over a long time ago pardner...

consumer1 1 year, 7 months ago

That was my point. The jury is still out but, Lawrence Liberals are already building a gallows.

aldo 1 year, 7 months ago

How about attending to hear what the man has to say first hand before deciding if it's workable or not ? Just sayin'.

yourworstnightmare 1 year, 7 months ago

Brownback's fantasy that deep tax and spending cuts will result in increased jobs is well suited for an operatic performance at the Lied Center.

Der Zauber Economik.

consumer1 1 year, 7 months ago

Now make sure all you lovers of Free Speech go there in insist your right of free speech is more important than anyone else's rights of free speech. He doesn't think the way you want him to so, He must be barred/ banned overshouted and disrupted when he tries to speak.

chootspa 1 year, 7 months ago

If they wanted to empower small businesses, they'd make it easier for them to compete with the insurance and retirement packages offered by large businesses in order to attract high quality workers, and they'd increase the safety net available to workers and owners should the business fail. Oh, and they'd make sure schools actually educated workers and budding entrepreneurs, infrastructure was available to support transportation needs, and funding was available for those wanting to start or expand a business. You know, like the arts funding that Brownback blew off, or the ACA exchange funding that Brownback blew off, or...

But "Koch, ALEC, and Other Big Business Lobby Empowerment Tour" isn't as catchy.

autie 1 year, 7 months ago

I find this so ironic that Sam will have lied in the Lied. His tax policy is non-workable woodenheadness.

olddognewtrix 1 year, 7 months ago

A tour of fools on apropaganda mission.

olddognewtrix