Archive for Monday, September 10, 2012

Head-on crash on Maine Street still under investigation; one driver still in hospital

September 10, 2012

Police are still investigating a head-on crash that took place Friday in the 900 block of Maine Street.

Lawrence Police Sgt. Trent McKinley said on Monday that Justin M. Crawford, a 39-year-old Lawrence man, ran through the red light at Ninth Street while driving south on Maine about 2:15 p.m. Crawford’s car then hit another car, which was driven by Jean M. Drumm, a 67-year-old Lawrence woman. Lin L. Stearns, a 49-year-old Lawrence woman, was in the car with Drumm.

Both Crawford and Drumm had to be extricated from the cars after the collision. As of Monday afternoon, Drumm was listed in fair condition at Kansas University Hospital in Kansas City, Kan., and Crawford had been treated and released from Lawrence Memorial Hospital.

Investigators have sent blood samples to the Kansas Bureau of Investigation for substance testing, McKinley said. This process can take several weeks, and Lawrence police are still reconstructing the incident. They’ll wait until after this process before issuing citations, and evidence will go to the district attorney’s office for consideration on charges.

Comments

Keith Richards 2 years ago

Why would you only test for alcohol? Wouldn't they want to test for any drug that he might have been under the influence of?

alex_garrison 2 years ago

That's a valid point. I've updated the story to reflect that it's general impairment testing.

Clickker 2 years ago

Can they test for Texting?

grimpeur 2 years ago

The question isn't CAN they, it's DO they, and WILL they. Make it routine.

On the phone or texting while driving during a crash? Boom. Should be the same as DUI.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years ago

If you send a text the phone will have the time the text was sent.

repaste 2 years ago

I don't know if the law has changed - several high profile case recently have shown the phone co.s are not required and are quite reluctant to release this info. One case where girl was abducted and police could not get info may have kick-started the process.

KEITHMILES05 2 years ago

Any of that testing can be completed at LMH.

NotASquishHead 2 years ago

Maybe LMH won't do testing for evidentiary purposes...

Jean Robart 2 years ago

Problem with that is that the guy is at KU Hospital

Kendall Simmons 2 years ago

I came by the accident shortly after the police arrived.

Both cars looked like tin cans torn apart by vicious beasts with very big teeth. And we're not talking about an accident on a street where traffic moves quickly. We're talking about the residential block of Maine between 9th and 10th...where you wouldn't normally expect anything more than a slight fender bender, if that.

I'm amazed (and delighted) that no one was killed. I hope that Ms. Drumm heals quickly and completely.

frankfussman 2 years ago

I was there when the block was still closed by the police. I couldn't believe what I saw. These cars appeared to have been in a high-speed collision, as you say, on a residential street. I thought that somehow these cars had been brought to this place from somewhere else, but then I saw debris from the vehicles scattered around the street, so it was really there.

jesse499 2 years ago

Anymore you had better wait when the light turns green because some idiot that's not drunk not texting not on a cell phone but just in a big darn hurry from a half block down the street will blow through that light And then curse you if do start to move as if it's you fault.And they say we don't need drivers ed. in school anymore half the people out there don't know the rules of the road are even care for that matter!

ironhead80 2 years ago

KDICK, take it easy on posters and who made you superior? So! Go eat a banana!

classclown 2 years ago

So no news is news now?

onthebreeze 2 years ago

My son and I drove by and saw the wrecker removing the vehicles. I asked him if those were some junk cars they were moving outta the area. He said it was a bad accident. It was very surreal to see cars that messed up on that little side street. It seems like Crawford was going really fast to smash em up like that....

Boston_Corbett 2 years ago

Remember that other posters from the previous article indicated the white vehicle which came from the north, and had Shawnee County plates, evidently driven by Crawford, whipped through the 6th and Maine intersection in a dangerous manner.

Cordelia Brown 2 years ago

Jean Drumm? She's a very sweet, smart woman. She's a piano teacher!

I too drove by there shortly after it happened. I thought someone was filming a movie, a la The Day After. It was awful. That guy must have floored it from Sixth Street on south to where he finally crashed.