Archive for Friday, September 7, 2012

3 injured in head-on accident in 900 block of Maine Street

September 7, 2012, 2:19 p.m. Updated September 7, 2012, 6:45 p.m.

Head-on collision on Maine St.

A video of the head-on collision Friday afternoon in the 900 block of Maine Street. Two people were extricated from vehicles, and a total of three people were transported to the hospital. Enlarge video

Two people were extricated from two vehicles after a head-on collision in the 900 block of Maine Street at around 2:15 p.m. Friday.

Lawrence Police Sgt. Trent McKinley said that according to witnesses, a white sport utility vehicle, heading south, ran a red light at Ninth Street, then collided with a four-door maroon car about midway down the 900 block of Maine Street.

McKinley said they believe the SUV was traveling at a high speed.

The driver of the SUV was extricated, as well as the driver of the car. Another person, who was a passenger in the car, was also injured.

McKinley said all three would probably be transported to Lawrence Memorial Hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

Police will interview the driver of the SUV at the hospital in an attempt to determine if alcohol or drugs were a factor.

According to Lawrence Police Sgt. Craig Shanks the investigation into the accident is ongoing and more information isn't likely to be available until Monday.

Check LJWorld.com for more information as it is available.

Crews work the scene of a head-on collision on the 900 block of Maine Street.

Crews work the scene of a head-on collision on the 900 block of Maine Street.

Crews work the scene of a head-on collision on the 900 block of Maine Street.

Crews work the scene of a head-on collision on the 900 block of Maine Street.

Crews work the scene of a head-on collision on the 900 block of Maine Street.

Crews work the scene of a head-on collision on the 900 block of Maine Street.

Comments

William Ed 1 year, 7 months ago

Unfortunately the driver of the maroon car is a wonderful lady who has been severely injured by the thoughtless SUV driver. I hope that he/she will have the opportunity to spend many years in prison thinking about what they have done..

Patrick Rooney 1 year, 7 months ago

Wat a boring world u mus liv n that you have tim too sit round corectin gramer on a local news websit. Read an move on.

"Glad I could help you take up a few moments of your day correcting my spelling"

whitecho 1 year, 7 months ago

Brakes. Not breaks.

No worries.

rlm21 1 year, 7 months ago

I saw the vehicle speed through the red light at 6th and Maine also. I was driving the car behind the van that was almost hit. Everyone had to slam on our breaks.

Abby452 1 year, 7 months ago

Thank you Missingit. I'll let them know.

Missingit 1 year, 7 months ago

Abby452 if thats true you should contact the police, that information might be useful to them

Abby452 1 year, 7 months ago

That wasn't the only red light it ran. I was sitting at the stoplight at 6th & Maine when it ran through the light. Almost head on collided with a van trying to turn. It was definitely going faster than 30.

observant 1 year, 7 months ago

If the students would simply leave home in time to get to class on time, they wouldn't have to drive like idiots to get there on time.

RockOutWitmyChalkOut 1 year, 7 months ago

I live close and heard all of the emergency vehicles as they were arriving on scene. I have an app on my phone that allows you to listen to the "5-0" here in DG county. The dispatch called "2 code red" and "one code yellow", for evacuation from scene. That's 2 people with life-threatening injuries and one with potential life-threatening injuries. Just wanted to clarify, hope they're all OK...

parrothead8 1 year, 7 months ago

Based on the visible damage to each vehicle, I think it's safe to say that the high rate of speed is more than a "belief."

consumer1 1 year, 7 months ago

Texting while driving at a high speed?

boltzmann 1 year, 7 months ago

"high rate of speed". Speed is a rate, so why not just say "high speed".

Insidestraight 1 year, 7 months ago

Has there ever been consideration about the implications of posting photographs and video of vehicles that have been involved in such serious accidents so quickly after the event? It seems unlikely police could notify family as quickly as the photos are posted here, and anybody who recognizes one of the cars, or even thinks they might recognize one of the cars, will be scared out of their minds. Instant news can be dangerous news.

Rich_Crank 1 year, 7 months ago

I was delayed leaving a meeting at KU that went longer than I expected (I was annoyed). But w/out the delay, the sedan could've easily been my car since I'd've been driving down that block in that direction at that time. As it was, I only had a 1-block detour.