Archive for Friday, September 7, 2012

3 injured in head-on accident in 900 block of Maine Street

September 7, 2012, 2:19 p.m. Updated September 7, 2012, 6:45 p.m.

Head-on collision on Maine St.

A video of the head-on collision Friday afternoon in the 900 block of Maine Street. Two people were extricated from vehicles, and a total of three people were transported to the hospital. Enlarge video

Two people were extricated from two vehicles after a head-on collision in the 900 block of Maine Street at around 2:15 p.m. Friday.

Lawrence Police Sgt. Trent McKinley said that according to witnesses, a white sport utility vehicle, heading south, ran a red light at Ninth Street, then collided with a four-door maroon car about midway down the 900 block of Maine Street.

McKinley said they believe the SUV was traveling at a high speed.

The driver of the SUV was extricated, as well as the driver of the car. Another person, who was a passenger in the car, was also injured.

McKinley said all three would probably be transported to Lawrence Memorial Hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

Police will interview the driver of the SUV at the hospital in an attempt to determine if alcohol or drugs were a factor.

According to Lawrence Police Sgt. Craig Shanks the investigation into the accident is ongoing and more information isn't likely to be available until Monday.

Check LJWorld.com for more information as it is available.

Crews work the scene of a head-on collision on the 900 block of Maine Street.

Crews work the scene of a head-on collision on the 900 block of Maine Street.

Crews work the scene of a head-on collision on the 900 block of Maine Street.

Crews work the scene of a head-on collision on the 900 block of Maine Street.

Crews work the scene of a head-on collision on the 900 block of Maine Street.

Crews work the scene of a head-on collision on the 900 block of Maine Street.

Comments

Rich_Crank 1 year, 11 months ago

I was delayed leaving a meeting at KU that went longer than I expected (I was annoyed). But w/out the delay, the sedan could've easily been my car since I'd've been driving down that block in that direction at that time. As it was, I only had a 1-block detour.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 11 months ago

Glad to hear you were not put out any. Just a little emotional distress, eh?

Jean Robart 1 year, 11 months ago

Rich-- close enough to do a scary time, though, eh? Glad you were not hurt!.

Insidestraight 1 year, 11 months ago

Has there ever been consideration about the implications of posting photographs and video of vehicles that have been involved in such serious accidents so quickly after the event? It seems unlikely police could notify family as quickly as the photos are posted here, and anybody who recognizes one of the cars, or even thinks they might recognize one of the cars, will be scared out of their minds. Instant news can be dangerous news.

kernal 1 year, 11 months ago

LJW would not have posted photos prior to police notification to relatives if the injuries had been life threatening or the victims had died. For all we know, the vehiciles may belong to out of state residents, making it unlikely the victims relatives would see these photos prior to police or hospital notification.

Insidestraight 1 year, 11 months ago

I wish you were correct, kernal, but unfortunately I don't think you are. And to be fair to LJW, I understand that in a major news event, pics and video have to be posted quickly; we live in an instant-news world. But a car accident, outside of other factors, isn't huge news. There is no loss to the LJW by not posting instant images from the scene. And honestly, I'm glad I don't have to make these sorts of decisions in a news-up-to-second world. There's probably no "right" answers, just judgment calls. I suppose I'd try to err on the side of caution, and respect for victims and families, when the community news value isn't all that great ... Just my opinion.

Alex Parker 1 year, 11 months ago

These are valid questions and points. We make the best effort not include specific identifying information in instances like these, but it's part of our mission to provide as much information as possible. As kernal points out, we do work with law enforcement in certain cases. For instance, we held off on posting any photos or information identifying the victim in the fatality near I-70 a few weeks ago until the family was notified. We take caution not to cause undue worry, and treat every incident on a case-by-case basis.

Alex Parker Digital Editor

Kendall Simmons 1 year, 11 months ago

Good grief! It's NEWS, for crying out loud!!

Like hundreds of other folks, I drove by not that long after the accident and was astonished and dismayed at the car damage. I didn't know if anyone had been hurt, and was concerned

So,. when I got home, I told my family about the devastation I'd seen...I'm a human being, after all...oh gee, darn. So one of them looked it up on the J-W website TO FIND OUT IF EVERYONE WAS OK! And, yes...to see the devastation I was describing. We're human beings, after all.

But you??? You apparently want the news to be kept secret!!! You apparently want there to be some time frame that you have determined for NEWS to be shared. Apparently have decided that you should be the time frame arbiter.

Sorry. But it's NEWS. And the J-W didn't do anything wrong by posting this video. And you simply do not get to decide how long they should wait before they post the NEWS.

Boston_Corbett 1 year, 11 months ago

The photos were not posted for several hours. The white car which evidently was speeding all the way from at least 6th street had Shawnee County plates. The other car was Douglas County. Based on the bumper stickers and contents, the DG county car was of a student. The Shawnee County vehicle was newer and cleaner.

Kendall Simmons 1 year, 11 months ago

And what were the many of us who drove by and saw this accident supposed to do? Close our eyes? Not tell anyone? Pretend we didn't see it?? (And, of course, in 2012 no one would ever think of pulling out their cell phone, taking photos, and posting them on Facebook.)

Frankly, I am astonished that you would argue...much less than anyone would "Like"...the idea that the news media should hold off on posting...gasp...the news for fear that "someone" might "think" they "might" recognize one of the cars in the video and, therefore, "might" be scared out of their minds.

Following your "logic", the media shouldn't have shown us anything on 9/11 because families hadn't been notified yet and tons of us with loved ones who worked in the WTC would be "scared out of our minds" if we knew what was going on.

Sorry...but arguments like yours are what gives "politically correct" a really, really, really bad name.

Insidestraight 1 year, 11 months ago

Politically correct? Hmmm ... OK, whatever. If you took the time to read my follow-up comment, you'll see that I concede that for significant news events (such as 9/11, using your extreme example), on-scene photos and videos should be posted, and quickly. No argument there, none at all. A two-car accident is not significant news. It's a police blotter item, or a short news item. In today's paper, it was a photo with a caption. And, I wasn't arguing that photos should never be published; I only stated that it was my OPINION that publishing them so quickly -- and it was certainly much quicker than several hours after the fact, as Boston states -- opens the possibility that the cars will be recognized long before police will have had a chance to make notifications. It's voyeurism, and it's beneath a reputable news outlet like the LJW. You'll also note that I state that it's a judgment call, and one I'm glad I don't have to make because there are no "right" answers. I don't think that's PC at all; I think it's a reasonable statement of opinion.

boltzmann 1 year, 11 months ago

"high rate of speed". Speed is a rate, so why not just say "high speed".

parrothead8 1 year, 11 months ago

Based on the visible damage to each vehicle, I think it's safe to say that the high rate of speed is more than a "belief."

RockOutWitmyChalkOut 1 year, 11 months ago

I live close and heard all of the emergency vehicles as they were arriving on scene. I have an app on my phone that allows you to listen to the "5-0" here in DG county. The dispatch called "2 code red" and "one code yellow", for evacuation from scene. That's 2 people with life-threatening injuries and one with potential life-threatening injuries. Just wanted to clarify, hope they're all OK...

kernal 1 year, 11 months ago

Unless the initial call to the police was by a trained medical person, the average witness or passerbys won't know the extent of the injuries and usually can't tell if they are life threatening or near life threatening. I'd put my money on the caller responding "Yes" when the 911 operator asked if the injuries appeared to be life threatening. I likely would have done the same thing if I came upon a accident like this one.

Claire Williams 1 year, 11 months ago

Actually, based on what I've heard when listening to dispatch in Lawrence, they don't refer to code colors until a police officer or EMT has arrived on scene and triaged. Then the scene commander will call in those code colors to the dispatcher and ask for additional units if required.

GUMnNUTS 1 year, 11 months ago

How do you know they are students?

parrothead8 1 year, 11 months ago

Students don't go to class after 2:00 on a Friday.

Stuart Evans 1 year, 11 months ago

You should change your name to conjecture.

Abby452 1 year, 11 months ago

That wasn't the only red light it ran. I was sitting at the stoplight at 6th & Maine when it ran through the light. Almost head on collided with a van trying to turn. It was definitely going faster than 30.

Missingit 1 year, 11 months ago

Abby452 if thats true you should contact the police, that information might be useful to them

Abby452 1 year, 11 months ago

Thank you Missingit. I'll let them know.

rlm21 1 year, 11 months ago

I saw the vehicle speed through the red light at 6th and Maine also. I was driving the car behind the van that was almost hit. Everyone had to slam on our breaks.

whitecho 1 year, 11 months ago

Brakes. Not breaks.

No worries.

rlm21 1 year, 11 months ago

Yes, I know this. Mistakes happen. I figured people would get the point without me correcting it but I was wrong.Thanks grammar police. No worries.

Patrick Rooney 1 year, 11 months ago

Wat a boring world u mus liv n that you have tim too sit round corectin gramer on a local news websit. Read an move on.

"Glad I could help you take up a few moments of your day correcting my spelling"

William Ed 1 year, 11 months ago

Unfortunately the driver of the maroon car is a wonderful lady who has been severely injured by the thoughtless SUV driver. I hope that he/she will have the opportunity to spend many years in prison thinking about what they have done..