Letters to the Editor

Be vigilant

September 10, 2012

To the editor:

I hope the thief who stole the bowling shoes that belonged to my son with special needs from Royal Crest Lanes enjoys them as much as he did. They were a gift from me. Be vigilant; the thieves are always among us for home or car burglaries, or purse snatchings, etc.

Thieves feed on the weakest of the group like animals in the wild. The weakest are the mentally or physically disabled or the elderly.

Anyway, to the thief, enjoy the bowling shoes with a clear conscience!

Comments

Abdu Omar 1 year, 7 months ago

Last week, my uncle (76 years old) who owns an upholstery shop was showing some fabric to a young couple while two other couples waited. One person, believed to be a younger man, came into the shop and seeing my uncle's wallet under his clean pants (he changes before going home), he stole the wallet with lots of money, credit cards, drivers license and some other important things. My uncle saw him take it, turned to tell him to put it back and the man ran out of the store. My uncle chased after him, tripped on the door sill and shattered his upper arm sending him to the hospital and closing his shop for two to three months. How will he and my aunt and two foster children live? The thief didn't care.

Immediately upon learning of the incident, a lot of his friends at his place of worship chipped in and they should be fine for a while.

But this incident brings to mind many things: the first of which is take care of your belongings; don't put them or leave them where they can be "lost". and second, when you are 76, don't chase after them. Let the law hunt them down. But write down their description immediately so you will remember.

Lawrence Morgan 1 year, 7 months ago

I am with you on this. I can't believe a thief stole special shoes from your son. I, for example, wear orthotics, as do many people of all ages, and if we lost our shoes it would be a tremendous problem.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 7 months ago

I think it is a polite thing to do, they don't want to startle the person in front of them. I have also have those on bicycles alert me to their presence. I appreciate. I am sixty-six but I am far from frail, my friend. Just because there is snow on the roof, does not mean there is snow on the roof.

Lynn731 1 year, 7 months ago

Many elderly are armed now. I was walking along slowly, I use a cane, and a guy was coming up behind me fast. He said mister I am coming up behind you. Why do you suppose he did that? I always pay close attention to my surroundings, I heard him coming. Being alert deprives thieves, purse snatchers, etc. of the element of surprise. A need they have to do what they do many times. So stay alert, be proactive. That, of course, doesn't help when your things are taken when you are not there, or when you leave them visibly in your car.

none2 1 year, 7 months ago

Dear Mary Ann Kieffer, I am sorry for your theft. I don't know what percentage of the population are that cruel. Hopefully, it is a low percentage, but all it takes is one to do you wrong. I hope your son's shoes show up again, but I wouldn't count on it.

Though thieves definitely do go for the easiest prey, personally, I wouldn't compare them to animals in the wild. Realize that animals in the wild kill to eat and feed their young. It is a matter of survival. I seriously doubt that the scum that took your son's shoes ate them nor used the money from selling them to keep him/her self and family from starvation. This was done out of pure personal pleasure. One Christmas season, I was in a Radio Shack when a young man came in picked up an expensive toy and ran out with it -- he even had a smile on his face while he did the deed. It is obvious from his expression that stealing for him was a pleasurable experience.

Benjamin Roberts 1 year, 7 months ago

Rotten scoundrels. May all of their balls fall in the gutter, their pins be racked, and they never score again.