High School Sports

High School Sports

Home schoolers get their shot at athletics

September 7, 2012

Back when he was a student at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah, Lawrence resident Ric Mitchell was feeling a little cooped up by his job.

“I worked at the BYU poultry lab, cleaning chicken coops and picking up eggs,” Mitchell remembered. “I told myself I needed to find something better, something I wanted to do.”

He wanted to coach basketball, so when he heard about a brand-new school in Provo with a nice gymnasium and no plans to play varsity basketball for the first five years, he approached the principal.

“I told him: ‘You don’t have a team, and I don’t have a team, so why don’t we make it work? I’ll coach for the first year for free, and if you don’t like me, I’ll just walk away, no hassles.’ I thought he’d send me on my way,” Mitchell said.

Instead, the principal eventually relented, and within five years, Mitchell said, the school had won two small-schools state championships.

“To coach the way I want to coach takes too much time, so I got out of it for family reasons,” Mitchell said. “Now I’m getting back into it for family reasons.”

Ric and Christy Mitchell home-school their seven children.

“We don’t believe in isolating our children, but we do believe in insulating them,” Mitchell said. “Nothing against public schools, it’s just that some of our children’s educational needs can’t be met in public schools.”

Their athletic needs — and the social benefits that accompany sports — couldn’t be met without a high school affiliation. Christy suggested Ric could start an athletic program for high school home-schoolers.

The Independence Home School Lions, an approved school by the Kansas State High School Activities Association, played their first eight-man football game Friday and defeated the Olathe School for the Deaf, 36-34, in overtime, in what Mitchell called, “the most exciting game I’ve ever seen.”

His son, freshman Juan Mitchell, ran for the winning touchdown and two-point conversion, aided by a punishing block from junior Marshall Bennett. Ric Mitchell said one 55-second stretch included five changes in possession, two fumbles, two interceptions and a blocked punt crammed into the minute.

The team, coached by volunteer Reggie Leuthen and four assistants, practices at the 20-acre home of the Mitchells, a Lawrence address that borders Tonganoxie. A practice field was born when a bulldozer moved dirt. A game field on their property is in the works. All the games, including tonight’s at St. Mary’s, are on the road.

Nine of the 12 players are from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, but Mitchell, an educator for the church, said, “Religion is not a factor. We’re open to anybody.”

Home-school boys looking for a football or basketball team can contact Mitchell, the basketball coach, at 760-3700 or ric@ihssports.org. Girls sports are a year away, he said.

Comments

ThePilgrim 2 years ago

Wow, a story about homeschooling in Lawrence should draw some interesting comments! Actually, this approach to sports is not a novel idea. In Wichita, where there are a large number of homeschoolers, they have formed home school consortium teams who compete against many of the private schools in the area.

mom_of_three 2 years ago

Kansas city has an organization, too, the Metro Sports academy.

Steve Miller 2 years ago

Who cares. they are not good enough to attend public, they should not get any coverage or participate in public competition.

paulveer 2 years ago

So, you don't know anything about this subject?

ThePilgrim 2 years ago

With the increased success and push of the K-12 computerized program where kids can learn from home on the computer and still be considered public school and get public school tuition, this is becoming a non-issue.

jonas_opines 2 years ago

Of course, the actual book learning is only one aspect of school. Another is socialization: ya'know, mingling with and interacting with other children. With a public or even with a private school, you'll get that, and you might get exposure to a little bit of variety of thought, circumstances, situations, etc. I don't find it much of a stretch of the imagination that homeschooling will not provide these things to the extent that being in a school would.

I'm guessing that the gentleman in question agrees with me, given that he himself says that he wants to insulate his children. Insulate against what?

Dan Eyler 2 years ago

Great ideas and alternatives to our tired public schools. I agree with public schools moving to more online learning. We need to match the cost of online classes to reflect the fact that it costs considerably less. As more families go online and not using as many services the cost to the taxpayer should be reduced as well.

kuguardgrl13 2 years ago

Not the way Lawrence is doing it. The virtual school still pays teachers, purchases computers, and pays utilities on now two buildings (Centennial and Wakarusa Valley). What are the cost savings? Regular schools need all of those things too. And kids in the building still need to be fed. The only thing online school does is get the students in front of a computer screen and the teacher behind a desk all day. Unless online schooling keeps the kids at home, there is no cost savings for school districts and by extension taxpayers. And honestly, this is absolutely NOT the way to go. Part of school is socialization. Sitting in front of a computer doesn't get you interacting with the teacher and other students. Online can't replace hands-on labs in science, shop, cooking, art, gym, or music. Kinesthetic learners (learning by doing) won't benefit at all from online school. It certainly can't replace athletics that we hold so near and dear. If students don't interact in the classroom, you will see a difference in their performance on the field or on the court. While online school is another option, I believe it would be detrimental to our society to have it replace regular school.

Boston_Corbett 2 years ago

Glad to see that the babysitting youth have a place to play sports.