Archive for Friday, September 7, 2012

Big 12 reaches $2.6B deal with ESPN, Fox Sports

September 7, 2012

— The Big 12 has reached an agreement with ESPN and Fox Sports on a 13-year contract reportedly worth $2.6 billion to televise football and men's basketball through 2024-25.

Financial terms of the deal announced Friday weren't released.

The deal will include games on ABC and all of the ESPN platforms, including the Longhorn Network. ESPN said Fox Sports was also part of the agreement.

ESPN said it will televise up to 19 conference-controlled football games through 2015, then that number would increase to 23 starting in 2016.

ESPN will have exclusive rights to the Big 12 basketball tournament and will televise up to 105 games per season.

Comments

ksgardener 2 years, 3 months ago

I guess we can expect our cable bills to increase through 2025 to cover the cost of programming. :(

riverdrifter 2 years, 3 months ago

Is it just me or did the money start rolling into the Big 12 when Mizzery left?

canusayduh 2 years, 3 months ago

Not really. The SEC has a 15 year deal. The Big12 seems to have gotten shorted. Maybe if Mizzou stayed, you would have gotten a real deal.

riverdrifter 2 years, 3 months ago

^^^^^^^ BTW, Mizzery turd alert! ^^^^^^^

canusayduh 2 years, 3 months ago

Who's on meth? You had to post it twice...lol

Topple 2 years, 3 months ago

I guess we know why basic television packages still manage to cost $50+ /month

gbulldog 2 years, 3 months ago

Can not afford to attend games. With a limited income have to watch my bills closely. If it goes up too much, will have to disconnect. Hope I can see the game use rabbit ears. Would like to had more money when I was a student. Maybe I could have afforded a KU education, however after reading the comments posted by "left wingers" I am affraid I would not have lasted long in a world without reality.

Ian Legler 2 years, 3 months ago

$100 Million per network per year, $200 Million totals ... How many cable/satellite subscribers are there nationally? More than enough to insure that if there are any increases they will be marginal at best.

Assuming that your cable bills are going to spiral out of control because of a new television contract? Sounds like you may have a very skewed sense of reality not the so called "left wingers" ...

Daniel Kennamore 2 years, 3 months ago

With the $7 million Kansas draws in from it's tier 3 contracts we'll be making $27 million a year in TV revenue alone. That's more than the Big Ten schools make...

Bob Forer 2 years, 3 months ago

Who is "we." Are you sharing in the wealth?

ksgardener 2 years, 3 months ago

Sports programming, ESPN in particular are the costliest channels per subscriber in your channel lineup and sometimes are required to be bundled so carriers are required to carry more than one channel. Sports cost more per subscriber by more than 4 times.

riverdrifter 2 years, 3 months ago

Do not subscribe to them then. I don't.