Archive for Friday, October 26, 2012

Letter: Natural rights

October 26, 2012

To the editor:

The day the Journal-World reported that only 50 acres of the Wakarusa Wetlands would be “damaged” in the construction of the South Lawrence Trafficway (Oct. 20, 2012), I went for a memorial walk. As I walked, I thought of the infinite number of lives which would be disturbed and destroyed by the construction of the SLT— animal, reptile, insect — and I thought of the damage that would be done to the web of life that had been created over centuries: a web involving life forms from bacteria to beavers to trees. I thought, too, of the memories of Haskell people about this place and the memories of countless other Lawrencians, who came to the wetlands to learn and replenish their souls. I grieved that, as a community, we were not only losing a significant, natural treasure, which these wetlands are, but also that we are perhaps losing our respect for life itself.

Returning to the wetlands entrance, I was glad to see six cars lined up, signifying that others had come to enjoy this special place. I was glad to believe that perhaps a day might come when we could recognize, as recently did the people of New Zealand, that a natural place might actually be acknowledged as having legal and personal rights. On Sept. 17, 2012, New Zealand’s Whanganui River was given a legal identity so that it will be recognized as a person “in the same way a company is, which will give it rights and interests.”

Comments

irtnog2001 1 year, 5 months ago

Why not just build a no-access flyover over the KU campus. P.S. I was stuck in a traffic jam while driving from Topeka to Overland Park Saturday and swore I would never go thru Lawrance again.

Liberty_One 1 year, 5 months ago

Oh gee whiz. I thought this was going to be an interesting discussion of the libertarian natural rights legal theory...

rockchalk1977 1 year, 5 months ago

Pave the swamp! I have places to go.

Gotland 1 year, 5 months ago

Hey I have some sacred ocean front property in Arizona I will sell you, cheap.

mk9992 1 year, 5 months ago

Infinite? INFINITE?! HAHAHA!!

Norma Jeane Baker 1 year, 5 months ago

With a letter like this, from someone who values all life as much as you say, are you also pro-life when it comes to abortion?

Michael Shaw 1 year, 5 months ago

Beth Schultz reminds us of the experience of the sacred. I don't know about others, but it improved my day.

Agnostick 1 year, 5 months ago

CORPORATIONS ARE PEOPLE!!

RIVERS ARE PEOPLE!!

TREES ARE PEOPLE!!

ROCKS AND BOULDERS ARE PEOPLE!!

♬♩♫♪ People are people so why should it be?

You and I should get along so awfully?♬♩♫♪

Paid for by Forest Critters United and Crossroads Nature Paths PAC

Liberal 1 year, 5 months ago

I am so happy for Elizabeth that right thinking people have decided to increase the acreage of wetlands for her to enjoy!

Gotland 1 year, 5 months ago

It’s ironic that climate change created this abundance of life where there was once only ice. If increased life is the ideal than global warming should cheer you up.

Gotland 1 year, 5 months ago

The good news is there is always something to be depressed about. Some people are wired that way.

oldmomxx 1 year, 5 months ago

The most important thing here is this (in my opinion): you can pave the wetlands and create a new wetlands but instinct will still drive the creatures who live there there, to that paved spot. This to me is tragic.

labmonkey 1 year, 5 months ago

New Zealand would allow a river to have the rights of a person, yet not extend those rights to an unborn baby. Sounds logical to me.

Brock Masters 1 year, 5 months ago

"I was glad to see six cars lined up"

Does anyone else see the irony in this? Elizabeth was glad to see cars lined up to mourn the destruction of animal habitat, but didn't care that those there drove on roads that destroyed habitat elsewhere.

Does anyone think that Elizabeth lives anywhere other than a house or apartment that was built on what used to be animal habitat?

It is hypocritcal to complain about someone's footprint when you've left two big ones yourself.

Armstrong 1 year, 5 months ago

Why am I hearing Born Free in the background ?

justforfun 1 year, 5 months ago

Well Elizabeth sounds like a very depressing time you had on your walk!

Did you really write that with a strait face?
Because it cracked me up when I read it. Then I realized "I think she may have been serious"

notaubermime 1 year, 5 months ago

"...and I thought of the damage that would be done to the web of life that had been created over centuries..."

Obviously not familiar with the history of the wetlands.