Letters to the Editor

Letter: Vote on the issues

October 15, 2012

To the editor:

In the Oct. 10 Public Forum, a writer commented on the “misbehavior” of two audience members listening to a debate between incumbent Lynn Jenkins and her challenger, Tobias Schlingensiepen. I agree with the writer that if they did in fact yell out “liar” when Rep. Jenkins was speaking, this low level of discourse has no place in a civil society.

However, what I find more disconcerting is the writer’s decision to vote for Jenkins because of the antics of a few Schlingensiepen supporters. At what point, I ask the writer, did you listen to the positions of the candidates? Shouldn’t we be considering the candidates’ beliefs and how they align with our own to be the guiding principle of our vote?

I can only conclude that it is the loudest entities that have driven a wedge between thoughtful voters and the issues by obscuring messages of facts, truth and reality with noise. I am especially disheartened to see it happening in our own fair town.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 1 month ago

Ken Lassman 3 years, 1 month ago

As I said in an earlier post, at a state fair debate between Roberts and his democratic opponent, in Hutch, the Roberts supporters were way more aggressive and obnoxious that what was reportedly done at the Schlingensiepen-Jenkins debate. Then there was the yelling out "liar!" by the Republican during Obama's State of the Union speech, and I'm sure that if you talked to any progressive politician running, they would be able to start running down the list of times that folks have been "rude or disruptive."

Obnoxiousness and juvenile behavior knows no political boundaries, alas, so don't go wrap yourself in the flag unless you want to end up soiling it.

rtwngr 3 years, 1 month ago

Obama was addressing congress but it was not the State of the Union in which "liar" was yelled.

Ken Lassman 3 years, 1 month ago

You are correct: it was Joe Wilson yelling out during Obama's speech to both houses on Health Care. It was still inappropriate and disrespectful.

Ken Lassman 3 years, 1 month ago

Please note that Joe Wilson is part of the Tea Party Caucus.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 1 month ago

Thanks Lisa for this letter. Your thoughts and mine were nearly identical after reading the letter in which a voter appeared to be making a substantial decision based on how some attendees chose to express themselves.

Believe me there are plenty of rude rowdies that identify themselves as republicans. Some of them have occupied the White House and put millions out of work and homes.

Good letter.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 1 month ago

Supply Side Reaganomics and Adam Smith have nothing in common.

There is no Free Market when local,state and federal governments hand out trillions of OUR tax $$$$ like drunken sailors to the connected wealthy. Which are described as "tax incentives" without taxpayers approval.

Free Market suggests no tax dollar mooching allowed. Go to the bank, get a loan then demonstrate an ability to make the investment profitable. WITHOUT corporate welfare.

nativeson 3 years, 1 month ago

Our current political environment is toxic on both sides of the aisle. Both are supported by media outlets that feed the stereotypes each party perpetrates about the other side. We have lost leaders like Bob Dole who recognized that negotiation and compromise are part of a process that is best for the nation. More volatile public meetings are simply a symptom of a larger issue.

paulveer 3 years, 1 month ago

There are many things I admire about Bob Dole, but he was a knee-jerk obstructionist during the Clinton administration. Helped write the blueprint for today's block-everything party.

Kate Rogge 3 years, 1 month ago

I agree, paulveer. He's called it "carrying the flag" for the Republican party. There were many things he did well - working with Senator McGovern to distribute farm surplus was excellent, as is the nonpartisan Dole Institute of Politics - but Dole did not shrink from personal attacks and legislative obstruction when the Republican party chose that course.

jhawkinsf 3 years, 1 month ago

Clearly his comment was meant to be opinion, not fact. Any third grader could tell that. It was speculation, based on his/her observation of what goes on in this forum. So while we're speculating, I would have to agree with his comment in spirit, if not in actual numbers. I'd say the numbers would be something along the lines of 5:2 instead of 4:1.

Ken Lassman 3 years, 1 month ago

Well, really, since we're into pure speculation, I'd have to say that the ratio would be 13:12.

bad_dog 3 years, 1 month ago

That hypothesis is about as provable as the one you stated earlier.

Pure speculation on my part but after posting on this forum for ~ 5 years, my experience would tell me there are far more conservative posters disappearded than liberals. As you know, that action typically occurs following bad behavior of some sort. I also believe there are more repeat offenders in the form of banned users re-apearing arising from that group.

Just my take. I could be wrong.

Trumbull 3 years, 1 month ago

Unfortunate that there were hecklers. Not wise. All you are doing is giving points to the opponent. Better to take the hight road.

George Lippencott 3 years, 1 month ago

That is why I responded to Bea with the USSC.

George Lippencott 3 years, 1 month ago

Well, Part of the issues is the ability/willingness of candidates to actually do what they say. Mr. Obama was going to tax the rich. When he had total control of the Congress he did not. Why?

When electing someone the voter must judge the willingness of the party to act on the candidates proposals. Acting boorishly can tip one off to a disconnect between candidate and supporters.

In Lawrence being a Democrat is good. In other parts of the 2nd district it may not be. If a Democrat from Kansas is going to vote with his national party and not with a majority of district voters (assuming a conflict like Obama care) just maybe we have a problem and local actions highlight it..

classclown 3 years, 1 month ago

I believe people will vote on the issues. Unfortunately, the only issues around here that matter is whether the name has an R or a D next to it.

Kate Rogge 3 years, 1 month ago

I'd vote for Sandy Praeger (R) for governor, Jamie Shew (D) for secretary of state, and Paul Davis (D) for senator.

Matthew Herbert 3 years, 1 month ago

re-read the original letter. At NO POINT did the writer suggest she was voting for Jenkins based upon the yelling of the two audience members. What she did suggest was 1) she would not want to be associated with these individuals and 2) if the two individuals thought they were being persuasive, they were mistaken. In reality IF ANYTHING, they were persuading people the other way.

In the comments section she even goes on to mention she was a traditionally 'left leaning' individual.

The inferences made in your letter are unfounded.