Archive for Saturday, October 13, 2012

Letter: Policy a burden

October 13, 2012

To the editor:

I applaud the success of both high schools this football season and Bob Lisher deserves the credit in the Oct. 10 Journal-World story. I think, however, that it is coming with a cost that most people won’t see.

I am unaware of the LHS policy, but at Free State players have been told that if they do not attend all of the summer conditioning program (as in not a recognized part of the school district’s program), they will be not eligible to play all or part of the following season.

This has put a burden on several boys. This policy prevents them from participating in other life-changing activities. I am an assistant Scoutmaster with one of the Boy Scout troops in town. Next summer over 30 boys have the opportunity to attend Phil-mont High Adventure Base in New Mexico. They will spend two weeks hiking in the mountains and participating in a wide variety of activities, including rock climbing and black powder shooting. During this time they will learn self-reliance and endurance (just the things a conditioning program targets). For most boys this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and it is being denied due to an overly restrictive view. High school should be about opening doors and new opportunities, not shutting out new experiences.

Comments

friendlyjhawk 2 years, 2 months ago

It is not the end of the world when a kid has to make a choice to do this or that. It is a good experience for the way the rest of his/her life is going to be. Parents want their child to experience everything but not to make a commitment to anything. The "I should to do this and then go back and do the other" is a prevalent behavior of so many young people and parents seem to think that giving kids this type of life makes them better adults. I don't feel it does. Reading a few pages of Tolstoy is not like reading the whole novel. Looking at the Mona Lisa on Wikipedi is not looking at it in person. Kudos to the kids that stayed and commited to the atheltic program. Waaaaaaaaaaa to the Boy Scouts for complaining about it.

KU_cynic 2 years, 2 months ago

Shame on you.

"Committing" to play high school football should be just that: a commitment to participate in sanctioned practices and games during the fall season. No coach should have the authority to deny kids the chance to compete if they choose to allocate their non-football season time and attention to other activities -- be it scouting, other sports, part-time jobs, family vacations, and so on.

John Hamm 2 years, 2 months ago

Totally wrong - it's summer. Why should the coach have the authority to force a student to be present for conditioning? The alternative listed in the LTE is quite legitimate but there are also students who may be planning trips abroad - parents do tend to schedule vacations during the summer months - or numerous other scenarios which would prevent attendance.

classclown 2 years, 2 months ago

People have to make choices in life. It's like coming to a fork in the road. You can't go both ways so you need to choose which direction it is that you want to go.

However, I say the conditioning program should not be mandatory. However, on the first day of school, it should be mandatory for any kid that wants to play take a physical fitness test. The coaches can then select those most fit to attend for further tryouts.

Clara Westphal 2 years, 2 months ago

Maybe if enough boys chose the alternative to do other than football, the high school would have to change its policy.

I have retired from 38 years of teaching and on the whole, I have found coaches to be abrasive and demanding. I also found some good coaches too but they were out of the mold.

Cindy Yulich 2 years, 2 months ago

Totally agree with the writer. My sons attended Philmont. They were also active in sports. I guarantee two weeks on the trail at Philmont would only enhance their physical fitness as well as their character and determination to excel. This rule is about control.....not prepping these individuals to play ball.

ComeOnMannnnnnn 2 years, 2 months ago

OK it seems like the scout leader should get his fact finding merit badge. My son plays for the team and this letter is totally off base. There is summer work outs during the summer which are used to prepare the players for the season. Although, like most clubs/sports, they are highly recommended, they are not mandatory. Coach Lisher gives two full weeks of vacation to all the athletes. That would be enough time to fit in your trip. On top of that, you can miss more than two weeks you would just be required to run the half mile. We have unfortunately had starters at Free State who have had to run the half mile. So you scouts have a choice. If they choose workouts maybe they don't have the heart to tell you that that is where they want to be. I'm sure you have some attendance requirements as to who gets to go on these trips. I've been a part of scouts and they didn't let kids with bad attendance go on trips so you probably understand. You should get your "I'm sorry for being wrong" merit badge also. Free State Football