First Bell: Bond issue community meetings begin Oct. 17; ‘Pink’ game this Friday; Cordley food drive this Sunday
News, et cetera, from schools in and around Douglas County:
• The Lawrence public school board announced a schedule of community input meetings on issues related to their proposed bond issue election. The board is looking for reaction to its plans from school parents and those interested in the April issue, and staff will be available to answer questions. You can read my Sept. 26 story on what board members are hoping for here.
The meetings will be:
— 6 p.m. Oct. 17 at Pinckney School
— 7 p.m. Oct 18 at Kennedy School
— 6:30 p.m. Oct. 22 at Cordley School
— 6:30 p.m. Oct. 24 at Hillcrest School
— 6 p.m. Oct. 25 at New York School
— 6:30 p.m. Oct. 30 at Sunset Hill School
• The school board heard several reports during its Monday night meeting, including bond-issue related information from George K. Baum, the district’s bond advisers, and from Alexander Open Systems, on technology. They also talked about the Kansas Common Core and the farm-to-school program. You can read more about the reports on the board’s site here and in my story here.
• Lawrence High School will have its annual “Pink Out” football game for breast cancer awareness at 7 p.m. Friday. The game is against Leavenworth High School. Pink T-shirts will be available for sale starting before school today through the game.
• Cordley School is having a drive for Cornerstone Baptist Church Food Pantry from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Dillons, 1740 Mass. Volunteers will be on hand to give shoppers a list of needed items, which interested people can buy and drop off at the entrance to the store.
Just Food is also accepting monetary donations online.
• And finally, a goodbye. I’ve really enjoyed covering Douglas County schools and getting to know some folks in its many wonderful communities. This will be my final First Bell, but I will be at the Journal-World through Saturday, so feel free to continue to send tips to email@example.com. Thanks again to everyone who has contacted me in my time here.
My new colleague Peter Hancock will be taking over the education beat from here, so please welcome him. You can reach him at firstname.lastname@example.org.