Archive for Sunday, October 7, 2012

Lawrence man killed in early-morning accident

October 7, 2012, 11:34 a.m. Updated October 7, 2012, 11:30 p.m.

A 34-year-old Lawrence man was killed early Sunday after a single-vehicle accident north of Midland Junction.

Google Map

Midland Junction

View 2000 County Road 1045 in a larger map

David Leroy Smart was driving northbound near the 2000 block of County Road 1045 about 2:10 a.m. when his 1997 Chevrolet truck drifted into a ditch and struck a culvert, said Douglas County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Sgt. Steve Lewis.

Emergency crews responded to the crash about 2:30 a.m. Smart, the only occupant, was extricated from the truck at 3:17 a.m. and was then transported to Lawrence Memorial Hospital.

Lewis said emergency room staff pronounced Smart dead at 3:52 a.m.

Comments

paulveer 2 years, 2 months ago

Condolences to the family. I'm sorry to read about this.

pagan_idolator 2 years, 2 months ago

So sorry to hear about David. I didn't know him very well but know his dad - really nice person.. Sending prayers and condolences to the family.

neolib 2 years, 2 months ago

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

Deja Coffin 2 years, 2 months ago

My thoughts and prayers go out to the Smart family during this time of grief. I am so very sorry to hear of your loss. Sending prayers of strength and peace in the days ahead.

dsleonard 2 years, 2 months ago

Thank all of you for the kind words and prayers. I am David's sister and I will pass this on to my family. David will forever in ours hearts. He was a great person and would help anyone out with anything. May he rest in peace.