Archive for Friday, November 23, 2012

Letter: GOP concern

November 23, 2012

To the editor:

As a registered Republican, political events in recent years have left me feeling distanced from my original party. The article in Sunday’s Journal-World covering the new leadership in the Douglas County GOP was even more disheartening for me. Two thoughts jumped to my mind when reading the comments of the new chairwoman, Jana Rea.

The first thought came when I read Rea’s negative comments about Insurance Commissioner Sandy Praeger. Rea’s stated opposition to her fellow party member reminds one of watching movies or TV shows where the leader of a gang gets into a disagreement with one of the gang members and has him rubbed out. One wonders, why do the other members stay in the gang when any disagreement with the leader can spell one’s demise?

The other thought came when Rae said, “I have a strong respect for the Republican Party platform. It is congruent with my faith.” Someone should explain to her that a governing body based on someone’s specific religious beliefs is not a democracy, it is a theocracy. Before the local “crew” alienates all registered Republicans with an ability to think critically, they should stop and consider the fact that two of their favorite candidates lost earlier this month. The Republicans have been accused of being a party of exclusionists who won’t compromise. Nothing from the article or Rea’s comments helped to dispel that accusation.

Comments

jayhawklawrence 1 year, 4 months ago

There is an excellent new book out that gives some perspective to the current problems we are having with our economy. Kansas is basically suffering from having been taken over by some very powerful conservative groups.

The new book is titled, "Who stole the American Dream?".

“Powell thought American industry was literally in mortal danger,” Smith told me. And as a result, Powell wrote a memorandum that urged business leaders to get politically active. “Come to Washington, lobby, form organizations, develop a long-term plan, pool your resources, stop fighting among yourselves, identify your enemies, go after them vigorously, punish them,” Smith recounts.

Powell’s call to arms found fertile ground. The number of companies with Washington offices increased from 175 in 1971 to 2,445 a decade later. Conservative think tanks like the Heritage Foundation and the Cato Institute were established and leading CEOs formed the Business Roundtable. Today, more than 50,000 people are employed by business trade groups.

I have felt for a long time that what we are seeing today is the result of some very smart people who have worked a long time to develop a political network of influence that basically promotes the interest of a wealthy elite and results in the gradual liquidation of the middle class.

DougCoSpring 1 year, 4 months ago

Everyone here needs just a wee bit of perspective. In case you didn't know it, Lawrence Kansas is a tiny raft of Blue amid a vast ocean of Red. Do you Blue Rafters really believe that you few are the smartest folks in the state?

You see, the problem with the "Blue Rafters" is that they used to have several oars, and could move the Party as a team. But over the last 20 years they allowed the radical Left to strip all but one oar away from the rest of the Party. So while the "Blue Raft" spins around in circles, and is basically irrelevant, the grassroots of the GOP have spread and grown in unity. The Little Blue Raft is now realizing some opposition as the undertow current is carrying the Kansas GOP to more conservative principles, thanks in part to folks like Ms. Rea, all over the state of Kansas.

So I would simply and humbly submit that there is a party which is in trouble. But it doesn't appear to be the GOP. Perhaps a little introspection, hmmh?

guavablues 1 year, 4 months ago

As a democrat I have always appreciated Sandy Praeger's work and integrity. It's a shame we can't find more people on both sides with her compassion for all Kansans.

verity 1 year, 4 months ago

Damn, I agreed with Fred Mertz and L275 twice today (didn't read all the comments, so it could have been more). Perhaps the Mayans are right.

I haven't said this for awhile, so I'll say it again. We don't need more or less government, we need the right amount of government. That is an ever moving target and needs to constantly be reanalyzed.

We overuse words like liberal, conservative, patriotism and make them meaningless and sometimes epithets, hence our conversations become meaningless. We argue to win rather than educate ourselves or others.

I believe that sometimes we must be pragmatic rather than adhering to strict ideology. Usually there is more than one side to an issue.

And then there are the unintended consequences. The best intentions can go astray. If something doesn't work, then we need to be open to change.

FlintlockRifle 1 year, 4 months ago

Writer Jerry, do you live in L.L , Kansas. and write a letter with these comments, oh to shame

Kathleen Ammel 1 year, 4 months ago

Wow! There's such huge leaps of logic in this letter! How do you go from -- “I think she (Praeger) is on the wrong side of the issue,” Rea said. (Nov 17)" -- to Praeger being "rubbed out"? Does the author, Morton, know of some mafia connections or something? This is almost laughable! Furthermore, respecting a party's platform because it is congruent with your faith is not the same thing as basing a governing body on your personal beliefs. Rea didn't form any governing body; she was elected to a leadership position of a small portion of the Republican party. There may be some parts of the GOP platform that are not totally congruent with her faith. But why don't we all jump to a conclusion based on a reporter's synopsis of one interview?

Do I even need to go in to the fact that this country is not a democracy (or theocracy)?

Fred Whitehead Jr. 1 year, 4 months ago

Wow, I was going to jump in here, but it is mighty crowded! With all these folks in agreement with the letter writer, just how the hell did these facists get elected governer and secretary of state??

I fell out with the republicans many years ago when they chose to hijack the church in their political dirvel. Guys like Brownback and Perry make me sick. All religion is fraud. It was invented by men who had no other explanations for their questions which have no answer. And yet, people who seem to know no better, seem to be flummoxed by these islamic style candidates who loudly proclaim some sort of kinship with some totally fabricated and unknown power of universal law.

I completely avoid any associations with such frauds. There is nothing wrong with believing in some sort of religious humbug, it is a free country (unless you are a Democrat) and you may embrace any sort of "faith" you want, regardless of how inconceivable it may be. But when you try to pull the islamic thing of imposing your religious fantisies on other people, I draw the line and vote for the other candidate.

prospector 1 year, 4 months ago

" hypocrisy_detector 10 minutes ago

The status of the GOP won't mean a hill of beans in 4 years. People will be struggling just to fill the tank, buy groceries and possibly even keeping their homes safe from thieves----thieves that voted twice for this utter disaster of a welfare king. "

Noted there from the Zombie O'day. Are you a prepper now? You may have to think and talk crazy to scare the little lady into believing, the rest of us could really give a flip what you think is going to happen. The outrageous stuff you throw up here is quite funny actually. You just can't help but let that nasty side out. Keep up the little act there Sweetcheeks.

Maybe we will see you sitting at the right hand of Ms.Rea. My guess is you wouldn't consider her as the "right man for the job". It is kind of funny that the Republicans have gone where you wanted them to go. You can't see it and your crazy talk will keep you outside looking in. Enjoy the view.

hypocrisy_detector 1 year, 4 months ago

Brock Masters 1 year, 4 months ago

I think we'd all be better off if we followed the Constitution and followed these rules. Treat others as you'd like to be treated. If your actions infringes upon someone else's rights then your actions are wrong. If someone else's actions don't infringe upon your rights then mind your own business.

tange 1 year, 4 months ago

I see nothing in the new Righteousness which is congruent with Christian faith.

Clara Westphal 1 year, 4 months ago

Dropping out of a party is not always the best idea.Stay inyour party and try to change it from within.

Liberty275 1 year, 4 months ago

The GOP needs less god.

Steven Gaudreau 1 year, 4 months ago

Rae said, “I have a strong respect for the Republican Party platform. It is congruent with my faith.” I just threw up in my mouth. All the old white guys are dead along with the GOP religious ideology. I'm all for freedom of religion and personally I believe and praise God. Want I don't like is mixing govt and religion. If our govt makes laws according to religious beliefs, we are no longer a free country (kinda free country). I want the govt to take care of foreign matters and national economy. Let the states mandate moral laws and we can all move accordingly to the state who's laws fit our own views. Pipe dream I know but we can all dream.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 4 months ago

Like it or not the GOP is dead due in large part to fraud by the radical right wing anti american party. This group began seriously misrepresenting the GOP when Reagan/Bush/Gingrich came on board. Yes Newt is still being a fraud.

Old school repubs should purge the GOP name into extinction.

All voters should demand the Sam Brownback/Koch/Walton/Bush radical right wing anti american party go through the ballot process to become a legitimate organization instead of being 100% fraudulent. Stop posing as the GOP.

There is nothing wrong with making the Green Party and Democrat Party our two party system if the country is still stuck on two party thinking. It is quite simple. Stop voting GOP. We don't need permission. WE accomplish this no mean feat with our votes.

Also the private corporation set up by democrats and the bogus GOP that regulates presidential debates etc etc etc needs to go bye bye.

Paul R Getto 1 year, 4 months ago

Killing themselves softly, the Repubicans are.

Brock Masters 1 year, 4 months ago

I just left the GOP officially and joined the Libertarian party. Yes, they have little political clout but they align with my political principles. I just couldn't take being part of the GOP with their social agenda and war mongering.

Abdu Omar 1 year, 4 months ago

So then, why stay in an outdated theocratic party? I was a republican for most of my life until Bush II invaded Iraq and wouldn't listen to the people who were against that war. He was the decider and decided to invade a country that didn't threaten us in any way. The religious aspect of the GOP bothers me too. I mean, I am not your typical religious nut, but what has religion got to do with the party? I know there is the issue of Abortion and gay this and that, but those are personal choices and to be a one issue thinker or one who only looks at the candidates and says "hmmm, he voted for __, so I won't vote for him." This isn't the way to run a country. We must be heedful of all laws and the laws passed must be equitable to the majority of persons. Equal opportunity under the law.