Archive for Friday, November 23, 2012

Kobach touts success of Kansas photo ID law

November 23, 2012, 10:35 a.m. Updated November 26, 2012, 2:21 p.m.

— Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach says fewer than expected registered voters cast provisional ballots in the Nov. 6 general election in response to the new state photo identification law.

The law requires voters to show a valid photo identification in order to receive a ballot and cast their vote. This was the first general election to require such proof of identity since the law was enacted in 2011.

Kobach said Tuesday that only 717 provisional ballots were cast because of photo ID issues — 0.06 percent of the more than 1.15 million votes cast.

"And that's an even smaller percentage than in the primary," Kobach said.

The Republican said voters are becoming more familiar with the law and its requirements, and the relatively few problems with photo identification are evidence of that.

"I think the photo ID requirements are going very smoothly, in fact smother than I expected," Kobach said.

Earlier this month, voters were asked to cast their preference for president, four U.S. House seats, 125 Kansas House seats, 40 Kansas Senate seats and numerous county-elected positions, from sheriffs to clerks to commissioners. This was the first time since 2000 that Kansas didn't have a U.S. Senate seat or statewide elected office on the ballot, tempering voter turnout.

Kobach said all of the races have been decided and there were no recounts requested for the congressional or legislative seats. The results of the general election are scheduled to be certified by the state canvassing board on Nov. 29. The board consists of Kobach and fellow Republicans Lt. Gov. Jeff Colyer and Attorney General Derek Schmidt.

Kansas will hold elections for governor, attorney general, secretary of state, treasurer and insurance commissioner in 2014, along with the U.S. Senate seat held by Republican Pat Roberts, who is expected to seek re-election. All 125 Kansas House seats will also be on the ballot.

Kobach successfully pushed through the new photo ID law, along with changes in the voter registration laws that require proof of citizenship to register for the first time in Kansas starting Jan. 1.

Though he said he would be seeking a few changes to the voting laws, Kobach said the bigger issue that needs to be addressed was the counties where there are more registered voters than eligible voting-age population.

Comments

parrothead8 1 year, 9 months ago

What a skewed worldview Kobach must have. Fewer than expected voters casting ballots, provisional or otherwise, is not a victory for democracy.

Fred Mertz 1 year, 9 months ago

I think his point is that people were able to comply with the law and thus did not have to cast a provisional ballot for lack of an ID which is a good thing.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 9 months ago

But he makes no mention of all the voters who just stayed home because of all the hoops whose sole purpose is to suppress voter turnout.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 9 months ago

No, but it's a victory for Republicans like Kobach who need to suppress the vote as much as possible to advance their agenda.

KS 1 year, 9 months ago

bozo, why don't you and the others get a life. You just don't seem to be happy unless you are slamming a Republican. What else do you do for fun?

msezdsit 1 year, 9 months ago

KS, why don't you just quit pretending about what the voter id laws are all about. Kobach knows what bozo posted is exactly why he has inflicted the law on the people of kansas. You have to resort to personal insults because your are gullible and buy the propaganda (lies) that the republicans have no problem spreading. The me me me party is entitled to lying because it is for their greater cause and that makes it justifiable.

Lane Signal 1 year, 9 months ago

What ever gave you the idea that Kobach was looking for a victory for democracy? Republicans have been pretty open and clear about the aim of these policies. They are not interested in more voter turn out, they want less. The aim of these policies is targeted vote suppression. Pennsylvania House Majority Leader Mike Turzai said "Voter ID, which is gonna allow Governor Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania, done.” This is part of the same kind of games that Republicans played with trying to close polls early in some neighborhoods (Ohio) and restricting early voting (Florida). Kobach is not interested in democracy. He's not interested in a level playing field.

George_Braziller 1 year, 9 months ago

If it can be undone. It'll take two or three new administrations to reverse some of Brownback's moronic decisions so probably eight to ten years just to get back to where we were before he became Governor.

jafs 1 year, 9 months ago

I take it that means they'll take complete responsibility for the effects of their policies then.

Crazy_Larry 1 year, 9 months ago

This idiot, Kobach, sat in for Gregg Knapp this morning on the KCMO 710 Morning Show. Let's just say I couldn't believe it was happening. The unfiltered partisan B.S. spewed without end and the stupidity was boundless. I believe all of the incoming callers were personal friends of his. I kept thinking at every commercial break that the radio station would cut him off and play a Michael Savage rerun instead, but it just kept going on and on.... Wow! This is an elected official AND an officer of the court? Kansas must do better! Wake up you morans!

KS 1 year, 9 months ago

Change the freaking station if you don't like it.

Mike1949 1 year, 9 months ago

Yea, it ran smoother than expected! That is because there wasn't a problem in the first place. Boy, do they make them dumb these days, and to think, dumb people can make a living in this state too!

Crazy_Larry 1 year, 9 months ago

Yeah, I eventually did just that...But I hung out way too long from the get go...a strange fascination took over....like rubbernecking a car crash on the highway...I kept thinking it would get better...couldn't get any worse...I was wrong...spent the rest of the morning writing a letter to the station scolding their lack of good judgement.

jjinks 1 year, 9 months ago

You must w-r-i-t-e s-l-o-w.

Maybe the reason for the turnout was no fraud by Democrats. Maybe the reson for the turnout was Democrats don't have photo IDs? Why wouldn't anyone have a photo ID? There are other reasons for photo IDs you know. I've been asked for my photo ID for years I guess I should've refused to vote that would show em'. If these comments were not so stupid they would be funny

Crazy_Larry 1 year, 9 months ago

Kobach, is that you? Bless your heart! Welcome! Glad you came here to add your stupid thoughts to the mix. ProTip: invest a few dollars in a tongue scraper. (No one enjoys your stank breath)

jjinks 1 year, 9 months ago

Thanks Crazy_Larry for proving my point.

Boston_Corbett 1 year, 9 months ago

If your measure your results based upon voter suppression, it was successful.

What a fraud he is.

beatrice 1 year, 9 months ago

And how many citizens knew they didn't have the proper ID so they didn't bother showing up at the polls? Since when is an ID required to enjoy being a citizen?

The problem with American elections isn't that we have too many people voting, but too few. Putting up hurdles to stop people from voting is repugnant and un-American.

classclown 1 year, 9 months ago

Kobach says only 717 provisional ballots were cast because of photo ID issues out of the more than 1.11 million votes cast. That equates to about 0.6 percent of all ballots cast.

===================================

Doesn't that actually come out to 0.065 percent?

As for those screaming voter suppression, what is the actual count of those that did not vote because of the ID law? Hard numbers only. No guesstimates or speculation of any kind.

beatrice 1 year, 9 months ago

It is impossible to say how many people did not show up at the polls to vote because they didn't have the proper ID, or were not sure if they had the proper ID.

classclown 1 year, 9 months ago

And how many out of state busybodies are coming here and worrying about our politics instead of worrying about what's going on in their state.

Leave Kansas politics to people that live in Kansas. We'll sort it out. Interlopers worry about your own areas.

beatrice 1 year, 9 months ago

I used to live in Kansas, but no longer do. I still have business interests there, as well as friends. If you don't like it, feel free to purchase the LJWorld and then create your own rules on who can and who cannot leave comments.

Phillbert 1 year, 9 months ago

If 717 legitimate voters not having their votes counted unless they jump through even more hoops is "success," I don't want to know what failure looks like.

Randall Uhrich 1 year, 9 months ago

ANY law which has the effect of suppressing voter turnout is UNCONSTITUTIONAL. Let's get this bogus law into court to be challenged.

Randall Uhrich 1 year, 9 months ago

Yeah, look at the republican conservative bias on the Supreme Court. What'd you expect?

Randall Uhrich 1 year, 9 months ago

Republicans can't win elections by providing issues and candidates that people want to vote for, so they twist the rules to benefit themselves.

oldexbeat 1 year, 9 months ago

"pinko" is so out of date for politics -- it is now about cancer. Get up to date, you (old term used again) yahoo.

blindrabbit 1 year, 9 months ago

Since Kansas and the Herr's Kobach, Brownback and the Koch-a-Kolas can't live with voter equality and access, let Washington bring on just what they don't want a Federal Election Law. Cut out this bigoted voter suppression crap and make all Federal elections a Civil Right with provisions to standardize the regulations in all States. Florida and Ohio may really want to secede if this happens.

Acey 1 year, 9 months ago

No thanks from this house. Did you REALLY read the quote?

As it was written in the Journal World, Kobach has a plan to smother votes! I just read it See what the right-wingers really want to do?

Clara Westphal 1 year, 9 months ago

What is the big deal? ID's are required to buy cigarettes, alchohol, cash a check, visit the doctor's office, and check into the hospital.

If a person really wants to vote, they can and will. There are enough do-gooders to give rides to the polls. Some people would rather gripe about it than get out and vote.

KS 1 year, 9 months ago

I think the courts are saying otherwise. Get used to it.

Dan Eyler 1 year, 9 months ago

After the election a UN observers stated they were shocked that voters in most states didn't haveto show an I D to vote. Clearly they understand that with out ID there will be fraud. But eith er way get an ID.. try taking back a Christmas gift this year to major retailers. They will want your Driver license so that they know you only returned something once.

bad_dog 1 year, 9 months ago

How the heck does someone return something more than once? You take the item to the store, present your receipt and the item to the Customer Service representative for inspection; perhaps answer a question or two about the reason for the return and get your refund or store credit. Clerk takes the item, places it in a bin or on a shelf and the transaction ends.

Katara 1 year, 9 months ago

I was wondering about that too. I've never been asked for ID for returning a product either.

chootspa 1 year, 9 months ago

It would only be a success if he could legitimately claim he'd prevented bunches of in-person voter fraud. Since such cases are super rare and easy enough to catch even without photo ID, he can't make that argument. All he can say is that only 700 people were potentially disenfranchised from their legal and legitimate right to vote. Since at least one Kansas election was decided by a margin that was smaller than the number of provisional ballots cast over ID issues, he can only claim success for gumming up the works - which is exactly what he set out to do with this law. What a jerk.

Dan Eyler 1 year, 9 months ago

After the election a UN observers stated they were shocked that voters in most states didn't have to show an I D to vote. Clearly they understand that with out ID there will be fraud. But either way get an ID.. try taking back a Christmas gift this year to major retailers. They will want your Driver license so that they know you only returned something once. There isn't a person posting here who doesn't have an ID.

beatrice 1 year, 9 months ago

How does someone voting via mail in ballot show their ID? Why would anyone support one set of rules for one group of voters and another set of rules for another set?

FlintHawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Great question! I asked that myself when I voted by mail-in ballot in the privacy of my home. Didn't have to make a photocopy of my driver's license and send it in with the ballot — not that that would have proved anything. Maybe closing that loophole will be next on Kaiser Kobach's agenda.

beatrice 1 year, 9 months ago

Indeed. Perhaps we can have it where government officials knock on your door and demand to see your papers where you live. Now, show me your papers!

jhawkinsf 1 year, 9 months ago

Wait a minute. I knew about the ID law, but thought the election was on "Dec. 6th". Can I still exercise my Constitutional right to vote?

beatrice 1 year, 9 months ago

Dec. 6th is past the voting date, but thanks for trivializing the issue. Now tell it to the WWII vet whose license expired three months back and now can't vote. Unlike the old USSR, this is America and we aren't required to always have our papers ready for the asking.

jhawkinsf 1 year, 9 months ago

I was making the point that despite the fact that we have a Constitutional right to vote, the voter does have at least some level of responsibility. Exactly what that level is, our elected legislators may determine and our courts should interpret.

jafs 1 year, 9 months ago

In KS, at least, an expired DL would have sufficed for a senior citizen.

beatrice 1 year, 9 months ago

jafs, is an expired ID truly "valid"? If Kansas accepts expired licenses, then I stand corrected. Thanks.

jafs 1 year, 9 months ago

Senior citizens can use an expired DL in KS.

Non senior citizens can't, as far as I know.

beatrice 1 year, 9 months ago

So there are still more rules that apply to some but not others? This law is crooked.

jafs 1 year, 9 months ago

Well, I don't know about that.

One of the complaints was that those older folks would face some sort of significant burden, and so they allowed them to use an expired DL - maybe they had stopped driving, and would find it difficult to get a new one, and didn't need one.

They also let students use student ID's, and a number of other kinds were acceptable.

Personally, I think that the variety of ID's considered acceptable mitigate some of the problems with voter ID laws, and I was surprised to see them offer so many options.

You've pointed out a serious problem, though, with mail-in ballots, which have little in the way of ID checks.

James Nelson 1 year, 9 months ago

Doesn't jerk Kobach realize how many didn't seek to vote because they didn't have a photo ID and felt they hadn't the means to get one. I'm talking about the poor without transportation and the elderly. He should be found guilty of another crime for disenfranchising these people.

bad_dog 1 year, 9 months ago

Sheesh, how have we survived for the last 200+ years without ID to vote? One can only imagine the horrors...

buffalo63 1 year, 9 months ago

Need to address the "counties where there are more registered voters than eligible voting-age population". What counties and why is that? Did more people vote in those counties than the popluation? Is that like a Republican county chair in Maine that stated some African- Americans showed at the polls and voted, (for Obama??) when noone had ever seen them around until that day? Have any facts to back that or is this another "voter fraud" issue?

bad_dog 1 year, 9 months ago

Good to know we have you out there "benchmarking".

beatrice 1 year, 9 months ago

One thing for sure, the new voter ID law passed in Pennsylvania didn't win the state's electoral votes for Romney as projected.

When casting electoral votes, were IDs required of Kansas representatives?

KS 1 year, 9 months ago

The ID law in Pennsylvania was NOT in effect for this last election. The courts held it back until next time.

CHKNLTL 1 year, 9 months ago

So I want to know, does the law REQUIRE that the poll persons called my NAME ALOUD when i gave them my ID and when i turned in my ballot, my ballot number was CALLED ALOUD for the intake table to hear and RECORD on their paperwork? That seemed very strange to me as a voter, and seems to prevent my vote from being anonymous. I left the poll extremely angry. Not only did the poll invade my privacy by requiring my ID but also my sense of self and privacy to all the other voters there, calling my name out like that, and they did it for EVERY SINGLE PERSON. WTF?

msezdsit 1 year, 9 months ago

The voter id law worked wonderfully. No voter fraud before and no voter fraud after the law. Only price is the people who didn't vote because of the obstructions it caused them and all the money the state wasted on the law.

beatrice 1 year, 9 months ago

So rockchalk, what happen to your buddies who were predicting a Romney landslide with you? Think they self-deported?