Archive for Saturday, November 17, 2012

County GOP under new leaders

November 17, 2012

Fed up with the Obama administration, and what she saw as liberal media bias, Jana Rea jumped into Douglas County Republican Party politics during the recently completed election cycle.

She and a like-minded group of people, calling themselves “The Crew,” went door-to-door working for Republican candidates.

Rea said the group didn’t think the leadership of the GOP in Douglas County was doing enough.

“A number of us were concerned that even though Douglas County has a third registered Republican, we haven’t felt like the conservative voice has been detectable,” Rea said. “We got tired of it.”

Now “The Crew” has taken over running the ship.

During a party organizational meeting right after the Nov. 6 general election, Rea defeated incumbent county GOP chairman Richard Todd, and Win Campbell was elected vice chair over an incumbent.

The new leadership team has a more conservative bend.

Clay Barker, Kansas Republican Party executive director, was asked to attend the meeting. He said a splinter group formed, recruited precinct leaders and went to the meeting to vote their leaders in.

“Groups have been doing that for 120 years,” he said.

Unlike nearly all of Kansas, Republicans in Douglas County find themselves in the minority.

Democrats and unaffiliated voters each have about 35 percent of the registered voters, while Republican have a little less than 30 percent.

Todd said that makes recruiting candidates and successfully electing them in Douglas County different.

“I’m a big-tent guy,” Todd said. “Republicans are Republicans are Republicans to me.”

The most prominent Republican elected official from Lawrence is Sandy Praeger, a two-term Kansas insurance commissioner who also served in the Legislature.

“Sandy Praeger and I would be at odds,” Rea said.

Rea praised Gov. Sam Brownback for blocking Praeger’s efforts to have Kansas work with the federal government to establish a health insurance exchange under the federal Affordable Care Act.

“I think she (Praeger) is on the wrong side of the issue,” Rea said.

Rea added, “I have a strong respect for the Republican Party platform. It is congruent with my faith.”

Todd said he had no hard feelings and was going to continue to work for the party.

“I want to help the Republican Party,” he said.

As far as national politics, Rea said she was surprised that Obama won re-election.

“A lot of us feel shock and grief, and we are determined that it is not going to stop us.”

Comments

JayhawkFan1985 1 year, 11 months ago

God help us all with people like Rea getting involved.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 11 months ago

The right wing conservatives have taken over after ousting republicans from the leadership.

I say the right wing conservatives such as Brownback/Kobach etc etc etc should form their own party. Instead they have take the republican name and smeared the party. Just like in Washington D.C.

I would say right wing conservatives are not republicans.

Sandy Praeger is the republican.

globehead 1 year, 11 months ago

I don't take issue with what you say here but I need some clarification on what the heck a "right wing conservative" is. Can anyone name any left wing conservatives?

scarlett 1 year, 11 months ago

Rea sounds delusional. I wish she'd knock on my door so I could tell her the million reasons why I'd never vote for a conservative teaparty, I mean ~republican candidate, not ever. Romney is currently persona non grata in D.C. The repubs don't want to hear his name, he's just a bad joke now as is the right wing fringe comprised of people like Rea.

Bob Forer 1 year, 11 months ago

These dolts just don't get it. The tea party types got their clocks cleaned earlier this month, andstill, they are coming back for more. I guess stuipid is as stuipd does. Wonderful. They will transform the GOP in Douglas County from irrelevant to non-existent. Works for me.

somebodynew 1 year, 11 months ago

And they never will get it. " It is congruent with my faith.”

Don't you understand - they have a "calling". And they will make us all 'see the light' one of these days. Unfortunately, that may be sooner rather than later in Ks, since most of these dolts do get elected.

Kathleen Ammel 1 year, 11 months ago

Just as the liberal Dems got their shellacking in 2010 but didn't crawl back into their holes. And, funny, I don't see tea party mentioned anywhere in this article...

chootspa 1 year, 11 months ago

Most of the "shellacking" was of moderate dems, not liberals. The "blue dog" caucus took a serious hit. They went from 54 to 26 members in 2010.

Moderate republicans also had a lot of losses recently, but a lot of that is because they're eating their own in the primaries or retiring out of frustration. Luger and Snow are notable examples of this.

chootspa 1 year, 11 months ago

Which is exactly what I said. I said, "they're eating their own in the primaries or retiring out of frustration" and then I presented two examples. Luger: eaten by an extremist in the primary and Snowe: retired out of frustration.

Fred Mertz 1 year, 11 months ago

How do you figure the tea party got their clocks cleaned. Romney who is moderate lost but the Kansas GOP right gained ground. The US congress didn't change And I believe the GOP has a majority of governors.

globehead 1 year, 11 months ago

Romney clearly did not run as a moderate. You are however correct about Kansas as the GOP continues to flatulate into the wind in increasing volumes, an activity previously the purview of the livestock industry.

Fred Mertz 1 year, 11 months ago

True Romney tried to portray himself as a conservative but he never was nor did the right see him as anything but a moderate. He definitely was not a tea party candidate.

DougCoSpring 1 year, 11 months ago

In case you didn't notice, sir, "these dolts" have a super majority in the statehouse. That means you are obviously more intelligent than the population of the entire state of Kansas who elected those "dolts". My, it must be miserable to live in such a small world.

jafs 1 year, 11 months ago

Popularity is often not synonymous with quality.

Also, given the turnouts, about 1/2 of the state of KS decided not to vote at all. So, it's hardly true that "the population of the entire state of KS" elected anybody.

DougCoSpring 1 year, 11 months ago

You seem fairly well informed so you should know that a voter turnout of 50% is extremely high in light of the historical data showing all time record high turnout at the national level was 62% in 1960.

So do you want to claim the bums who stayed home or should I? :-)

Seems to me when the Liberals win elections the Dems are praised for their valiant efforts to GOTV.

jafs 1 year, 11 months ago

Historically that may be true, but it's still in my view a low turnout when half of the eligible voters don't vote.

I don't care who wins the elections, I would say the same either way.

As I said "the entire state of KS" didn't elect anybody.

DougCoSpring 1 year, 11 months ago

Your point is well taken, nevertheless the conservatives won big in Kansas, and self-perceived erudite's such as Sycho and Tomato and others who take an elitist view are overlooking the elephant in the room. (pun intended) You live in a Republican state; on a small raft of blue in a sea of red. Yet your colleagues rant as though a small minority of people have mounted a military coup and are coming to eat their children.

Let's face it, hyperbole abounds on both sides; a result of polarization, which occurs when one side moves farther away, causing the opposition to do the same in order to counter. What you are witnessing here is simple reaction to a steady movement to the Left (by DNC and Rebub leadership) for the last 40 years.

Conservatives by definition are by nature, and have been, reluctant to enter the activist world of politics. They used to be called the "Silent Majority" for this reason. But they finally have realized if they don't become active and get involved, their point of view will not be heard at all and living according to someone else's ideology.

I see a lot of venom on here directed toward the "Christian Right". Let me remind anyone interested that without the Christian Right you would still be subject to the British Crown. Ever hear of the "Black Robed Brigade"? These preachers were targeted by the British in colonial America because they were "preaching politics from the pulpit" inspiring the independence movement.

The same goes for the abolitionist movement which would never have happened without those pesky preachers meddling in politics speaking out against slavery! The social slide of American culture and politics into the immoral gutter has not been a result of the Christian Right meddling in politics, rather the result of all those noisy preachers going on sabbatical for the previous 30-40 years.

No, the "Silent Majority" will be silent no longer. As President Obama so famously said after his inauguration: "Elections have consequences..." Kansas is not the only state where Conservatives were elected into the majority.

And don't worry, we won't eat your children and kick your dogs. Your children may even grow up to be Republicans! ;-)

jafs 1 year, 11 months ago

I find virtually everything in your post to be factually incorrect.

Except of course the part about my point :-)

Cait McKnelly 1 year, 11 months ago

To quote Kathy Getto, "They're already here."

Noweigh 1 year, 11 months ago

let "the crew" talk. The more they're heard, the more irrelevant and "fringe" they'll become. This group still doesn't get their political appeal is dwindling and it shows the tin ear they would have, if ever elected. Feeling "shock and grief" over the recent election shows their overall contempt for the voting public and their misguided belief that they somehow answer to a higher calling. Entertaining for sure, but politically on their way out.

Boston_Corbett 1 year, 11 months ago

These new officers are acolytes of the Americans For Prosperity and the Koch's. They had their own Koch-funded headquarters in Lawrence this summer. (the Douglas County Republican Initiative)

The Koch's now own the Douglas County Republican Party.

Bob Forer 1 year, 11 months ago

It's a shame that Sandy Praeger's name is associated with these crackpots. Sandy is a good and decent person. She deserves better.

rtwngr 1 year, 11 months ago

If the Democrat Party is better, then she deserves it, wouldn't you say?

Cait McKnelly 1 year, 11 months ago

Yes she does, considering that the Democratic party is what the GOP USED to be. There is no real, actual "left wing" party remaining.

fearthephog512 1 year, 11 months ago

Agreed. But in Brownback's Kansas, moderation is "anti-prosperity."

jafs 1 year, 11 months ago

If and when the tax cuts don't result in economic prosperity, but instead in huge deficits and slashing services, will you notice that?

Cait McKnelly 1 year, 11 months ago

Heehee, I see what you did there.

brewmaster 1 year, 11 months ago

The conservative-republican-tea party leaders, constituency and platform of elitist exclusion, priviledged entitlement and self absorption that is responsible for the past 30 years of cultural, financial and social decline in the U.S. is (slowly, but assuredly) being replaced by inclusionary, socially responsible, critically thoughtful and sane men and women...see the election of 2008 and 2012.

So, Ms. Rea, you and your cohorts continue the conservative tea party "congruent-with-faith" efforts. Ironically, but thankfully it is an eventual path to political self destruction.

...hello my name is and I am a conservative tea party republican...

verity 1 year, 11 months ago

Do these people (and, please don't call them conservatives, they are radical regressive reactionaries who would take us back to the dark ages) have any positive agenda? Anything other than the obstruction of progress? That is not a rhetorical question. I really want to know.

Noweigh and somebodynew have it exactly right. This kind of religious fervor with no respect for any conflicting opinion never turns out well. Critical thinking not allowed.

And brewmaster---just saw his/her post.

WilburM 1 year, 11 months ago

What exactly does it say? For me it shows Obama being able to have a little fun with a world-class gymnast. He actually relates to people.

Kathleen Ammel 1 year, 11 months ago

With all of the flak being sent up in these comments, the "crew" must be over the target. :)

Bob Reinsch 1 year, 11 months ago

People like this are exactly why I left the Republican party. More conservative = more divisive, less collaborative.

Bob Forer 1 year, 11 months ago

You contemptible excuses for Americans bashed our President for four years and reminded all of us daily how he was going to have his clock handed to him by your boy.

Well, guess what?. You were wrong. We won. You lost.

If you can't handle the return bashing, I suggest you renounce your cititzenship and join the Taliban. I am sure you would hit it off with them famously.

Katara 1 year, 11 months ago

The market took a dive due to the fact that the Eurozone has gone back into a recession.

It is interesting that you are including senior citizens, the disabled and vets in the 47% who you claim are takers. You don't appear to be outraged by the fact that Romney and others are paying less percentage-wise in taxes than the middle class.

It is still is amusing in a twisted sort of way that the Republicans have labeled 47% of the U.S. as takers when they helped put the tax laws in places that gave the tax cuts, exemptions and deductions that allow those folks to have no tax liability.

If you are okay with Romney's tax returns where he utilized all legal tax deductions, credits and exemptions to reduce his tax liability, then you must also be okay for those who do the same and manage to reduce their tax liability down to zero.

Additionally, if it is good enough for Kansas businesses to have no tax liability, it should be good enough for Kansans to do the same.

The Republicans tell us we are overtaxed and that tax cuts are the cure for economic ills. They should be thrilled that 47% of our population have been able to accomplish a complete reduction in taxes.

Fred Mertz 1 year, 11 months ago

Schych So isn't Obama everyone's president? If so, how does anyone lose?

And will you be leaving Ks since Jenkins won, the senate is now conservative and the house continues to be conservative? Silly to suggest people should leave this country or state because they have different political views.

I like diversity and glad the world doesn't think the same way.

Cait McKnelly 1 year, 11 months ago

If you like "diversity" so much, how do you feel living in a one party state?

Fred Mertz 1 year, 11 months ago

cait, I would think the answer to your question to be self-evident, but I guess not so let me answer your question.

One party, one mind is never good. It leads to group think and a myopic vision. Dissent and different ideas always lead to better outcomes. Our country was set up with a system of checks and balances and it works best when no one side or branch of government dominates.

Anything wrong with what I just stated? I assume you agree, but I'll let you comment.

Fred Mertz 1 year, 11 months ago

No come back response to my answer? Wasn't what you expected?

Kathleen Ammel 1 year, 11 months ago

You misguided Americans bashed the Repub prez for 8 years before that...and the circle continues!
What is so incongruent is how you could bash George W for warmongering & be so silent when the dem prez continues the same policies & authorizes more drone attacks.

tomatogrower 1 year, 11 months ago

They may have 1st amendment rights, but if they lie, I and others will call them out on it.

Fred Mertz 1 year, 11 months ago

Will you call out all politicians for lying?

chootspa 1 year, 11 months ago

Yes. I believe that hard work by factory workers should be rewarded. Yes, I believe those hard working factory workers shouldn't have to fund the luxury lifestyle of a CEO that works a few years in a desk job to run the company to the ground and leaves with a multi million golden parachute. That's rewarding laziness to allow leaches like that to get away with not only taking the worker pensions but not even having to pay state taxes anymore.

I believe in God, and I think we should take His teachings to heart about feeding the hungry and caring for the destitute. I don't consider a CEO to be "the least of us." I believe in not killing innocents, which is why the criminal justice system should be reformed. I also believe that the best way to reduce abortions is to make sure all women have access to preventative care and birth control.

So - tell me, where might I find all those righteous legislators in the republican party who agree with me?

Bob Forer 1 year, 11 months ago

"Santa Claus politics." No doubt another talking point phrase learned while watching Faux News. Are you capable of independent thought.

And BTW, Jews do not believe in a Christian God. I guess that makes us democrats, huh?

DougCoSpring 1 year, 11 months ago

There is no "Christian God" no more than there is a "Jewish God". I know several Jews who are followers of Christ. Doesn't change the fact that God is God and whether or not you believe is irrelevant except that is usually manifested in one's political position. Since the DNC attendants resoundingly rejected a platform resolution recognizing the Deity, perhaps you are more comfortable in that party, even though the Chairman declared that resolution passed.... Just thought I'd mention it since we are discussing "schisms in the Parties".

Catalano 1 year, 11 months ago

If I answer yes, I believe in killing innocents, I must vote with the Republican party? I don't think they'd let me. You might want to re-check your checklist, LGuy.

scarlett 1 year, 11 months ago

I believe it would be nice if hard work was rewarded but life doesn't always work out that way. Ask god for your answer to that.

I believe that a compassionate society cares for those who can't help themselves. Isn't that the ~christian thing to do? What would jesus do?

A christian god, what about the other religions that love god too. Christian or not, god does not belong in politics. Check out the separation of church and state for more info...

I believe that a woman has the right to control her own body, including contraceptives and abortion if she wants/needs to. I also believe that all rape is legitimate rape, all.

We're on a cusp alright but thank the goddesses that the christian right was defeated in 2012. I look forward to the IRS actually taking tax exempt status away from the ministers and churches where politics is so blatently practiced.

JackMcKee 1 year, 11 months ago

Idiots doing dumb stuff. It's been going on for at least 120 years.

tomatogrower 1 year, 11 months ago

Letting these nut cases talk is what lost them the election. Some examples of their talk: Obamaphones - totally unaware that this program started under Reagan

Death squads in "Obamacare" - totally unaware that these don't exist

Sales tax on the sale of your home - totally unaware that this would occur only if you realized a $500,000.00 profit on your home.

Obamacare is socialist - totally unaware the it is a free market plan to protect the rest of us from irresponsible people who bum their health care from us, and was originally developed by Republicans.

Birthers - totally unaware of all the evidence or believe the evidence was faked

Obama should show his college records - demanded from people who either dropped out of college or never even went.

Obama is a Muslim - then they complain about the Christian church he attended for years which is led by a black preacher who had the audacity to get mad about the discrimination he has experienced in the US.

Obama should have known that the embassy in Libya was going to be attacked, even though Bush couldn't have know about the 9/11 attack, and Clinton couldn't have know about the Oklahoma bombing. Where were these people when our other consuls were attacked and workers killed, during Bush's and other's administrations? Oh yeah, they were just lowly workers, not an ambassador. They didn't count.

Obama controls gas prices, but Bush didn't.

Obama was mean to the GM executives who destroyed the company by firing them, instead of giving them a raise and shutting down the plant like all of the private equity firms do. Poor executives.

Never condemning the racists in their party; just denying that there is nothing racist meant by the signs portraying Obama being lynched.

Making their number one goal to prevent Obama's second term, instead of helping our country recover form the recession.

Actually signing a petition to have red states secede from the union, even though they get more federal dollars back than they actually put in. I even know one of the morons who signed the petition and lives on SS disability. I asked her how she was going to live now?

These are the reasons the Republicans lost. If you are one of these people, you are the reason Romney lost. You have scared away people who have been Republican all their lives. You are at best delusional, at worst liars. If delusional or uninformed, turn off Fox news. If you are a liar, I hope someone sues you for libel. It's about time someone paid for the lies.

tomatogrower 1 year, 11 months ago

Oh and ps, Jana Rea. If you haven't noticed we are pretty fed up with the lies. You can spread some more if you'd like, but I am going to be on this site, on Facebook, in the paper calling out all your lies. Better start basing your opinions on facts.

Cait McKnelly 1 year, 11 months ago

Oh but don't you know they don't let their campaigns be run by "fact checkers"?

bearded_gnome 1 year, 11 months ago

---!!! you go girl!!! right on. and you're right about Sandy Plaguer.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 11 months ago

obama won the national election with 8million fewer votes, he only won because Romney received fewer votes than did McCain. to get fewer votes than McCain is really saying something.
kansas republicans voted for rick santorum, but the lawrence/dgco leadership was behind the northeastern weak romneycare romney.
this difference has a lot to do with the change of direction here in dgco I think. and I am happy for it.

chootspa 1 year, 11 months ago

So you're saying Santorum would have won the general?

bearded_gnome 1 year, 11 months ago

^^The new leadership team has a more conservative bend.

---I think you meant "bent."

Orwell 1 year, 11 months ago

"Twisted" would be closer to the mark.

akuna 1 year, 11 months ago

So Rea is for individualism and neglecting the poor and needy. I wonder what her faith is. It is obviously not Christian.

DougCoSpring 1 year, 11 months ago

It really is ironic when those who know little of faith matters can presume to define someone else's spiritual beliefs.

Centerville 1 year, 11 months ago

Try as he might, the reporter can't cover for the fact that the party isn't split - but its leadership now includes a lot more people.

tomatogrower 1 year, 11 months ago

Didn't see you raising h*ll over the incompetence of the Bush administration over 9/11.

tomatogrower 1 year, 11 months ago

And this isn't really what I meant to say. I don't blame Bush for 9/11. There are a lot of terrorist groups out there and this is a big world. Some of their plots are going to succeed. Clinton's FBI had no clue that an American citizen was going to blow up a federal building. Bush suspected Al Queda but you can't be aware of what they are doing all the time, except we know that they didn't spend that much time in Iraq.

When the attack on the embassy happened it was just quickly assumed that it had to do with all the demonstrations against the stupid movie trailer which a con artist made in order to steal 5 million from some chumps. I assumed that when I first heard it. As more details emerged, it turned out to be something different, and the administration didn't hide those facts.

And what difference does it make that this was a planned terrorist attack or a spontaneous terrorist attack. It was still a terrorist attack. This whole argument is weird. Actually if it had been spontaneous, it would have been easier to catch the culprits. An organized group has ways to get people out of the country quickly.

Was it a failure in the intelligence community, because they didn't have moles in the right place to warn of the attack? Maybe, but these people don't exactly work in the open. If you think you can do a better job, why don't you apply to the CIA to work?

DougCoSpring 1 year, 11 months ago

WristTwister this guy is not interested in facts or any other point of view.

DougCoSpring 1 year, 11 months ago

Of course you would be referring to the unbiased reporting on MSNBC...

lunacydetector 1 year, 11 months ago

after reading the majority of the comments, the democratic party should just change their name to the National Socialism Party.....the only difference i can see from the old National Socialism Party, is the antisemitism has been replaced with anti-religion, period, but the biological racism remains but not as pronounced.

Nationalsozialismus is german for National Socialism. their first leader was a guy by the name of adolph hitler.

tomatogrower 1 year, 11 months ago

Another person who lost Romney the election.

Noweigh 1 year, 11 months ago

I enjoy the hiding behind the "liberal media" card that is so often played by groups like The Crew. Highest rated radio show in America: Rush Limbaugh. Fox News is one of the highest rated Tv "news" shows too. And how about Bill O'Reilly, Hannity and others who have huge followings.
Give us a break Crew....the most popular media trend these days is conservative. In fact, the true "liberal" media have done a terrible job garnering any real audience numbers. Air America and other "liberal" media attempts have been ratings disasters.

We know you believe that God is surely on your side. If so, that should be consolation enough.

Westy 1 year, 11 months ago

I am not from Lawrence. I would not be able to stomach all the liberal college professors there. But I do know Jana. She is an intelligent, fine conservative Christian woman, that will lead the Republican Party in Lawrence to great expectations!

Lawrence is the city of Sodom or Gomorrah of our state. I am surprised they have not legalized "Same Sex Marriage" or pot or both. As Abraham pleaded in Genesis to the Lord that the Lord save the city if Abraham could find 50 rightious men, but then Abraham could not find even 10, so the Lord consumed both Sodom and Gomorrah with brimstone and fire. I am hoping that Jana is able to work that miracle of finding enough to satisfy our Lord, or if not, get the heck out of there and don't look back because Lot's wife was turned to salt for looking back.

With Jana's guidance, the Republican party will once again be alive and well in Doughlas County!

Thanks Jana for all you do for us AND YOUR COURAGE!

chootspa 1 year, 11 months ago

And who said we didn't get good trolls anymore?

chootspa 1 year, 11 months ago

On the sabbath, no less. Very naughty. Probably while eating a cheeseburger. I hope he or she remembered to wear blue tassels on their cloak.

deec 1 year, 11 months ago

"I am not from Lawrence. "

I'd guess you live about 13 miles east of Lawrence.

globehead 1 year, 11 months ago

Taken in the context of her being a Christian conservative republican woman, "that" may actually be appropriate in this case.

Dan Eyler 1 year, 11 months ago

I'm looking forward to Jana leading the party. Jana is interested in many view points but very principled. Good communication and expressing republican and conservative views will begin to move the bar in Douglas County. She doesn't need to worry to much about the opposition. Because of Jana's leadership she demonstrated that a better ground game will split more undecided voters. There is a lot of work for Jana and she is going to have more help than we have seen in the county in a very long time. The current establishment in Lawrence need to remember that you are in Kansas. Just that alone gives Jana the ability make serious progress. Openly and frequently challenging the Lawrence political establishment will swing voters who are afraid to speak their mind. Fun times ahead.

tomatogrower 1 year, 11 months ago

Is she going to promote all this stupidity?

Death squads in "Obamacare" - totally unaware that these don't exist

Obama controls gas prices, but Bush didn't.

handlon 1 year, 11 months ago

Seriously Westy? You holier than thou folks are something else. Go away....

selandz 1 year, 11 months ago

I just face palmed this whole article and all the comments on it....

face palmed

face palmed by selandz

selandz 1 year, 11 months ago

not new. I read the ljworld all the time. I just never comment on anything...well except this...

Doug Harvey 1 year, 11 months ago

knuckle draggers, deluded and deranged. welcome to kansas.

Bob Forer 1 year, 11 months ago

DougCoSpring 1 year, 11 months ago

It really is remarkable reading the comments on this thread. Liberals are so open minded and tolerant until someone actually voices an opinion contrary to their own! Then it becomes very apparent who the "haters" are. Really Sychophant? You really want her dead? Wow...tolerant indeed.

Fred Mertz 1 year, 11 months ago

DougcoSpring

I agree with you. Amazing that someone would wish death on another person. Very sad.

tomatogrower 1 year, 11 months ago

The above list that I posted are not opinions. They are lies. Opinions are "I don't agree with Obama's ideas". A lie is "Obama was born in Kenya."

DougCoSpring 1 year, 11 months ago

DougCoSpring 1 year, 11 months ago

Oh, yes, remove it! It made too much sense, huh?! Or maybe tomatogrower is on staff at LJW?

jafs 1 year, 11 months ago

Perhaps if you refrained from calling people names, your posts wouldn't be removed.

DougCoSpring 1 year, 11 months ago

You mean like "knuckledraggers", "moron", "nutcases", "right-wing whackos", "dingbats", and "idiots"? These names are standard fare on this thread, everyone of which is used by your comrades. I use a clinical term like "sociopathic" to describe Tomatogrower's comment behavior and it's off limits. Oh, I see how this works. I must admit I am a newcomer to LJW. Please excuse my antiquated view. I now understand that only liberals can use ungracious adjectives against their political opponents. I am beginning to realize why Conservatives have stayed underground for so long in this tolerant, multicultural, and pluralistic town.

Really, I think the webmaster should put Sychophant's comment back up so all can see what he is. (Insert your own adjective here)

deec 1 year, 11 months ago

I see someone has decided to make yet another appearance.

kujayhawk7476 1 year, 11 months ago

And there you have it....these right-wing whackos care nothing about proper governing, they only care about faith-based issues; abortion, school vouchers for religious schools, etc.

They will ruin not only our state, but also the Kansas Republican party most of us want and the national Republican party.

Cait McKnelly 1 year, 11 months ago

Welcome to the one party state. Watch as your petri dish gets over run by some of the smelliest bacteria ever invented by God.

verity 1 year, 11 months ago

No one has yet answered my question about a positive agenda---something other than terminating those unspeakable liberals who should not be allowed to exist in Kansas.

What do you have to offer?

Fred Mertz 1 year, 11 months ago

ShePrecedes - People speak up for the Constitution when it benefits their agenda, but not when it doesn't. For example,

Everyone is for free speech except when they don't like what the other side is saying. And then, limited government is good, except when you want it to spy on American citizens or tell them how to live their private lives.

The cries for equal protection of individuals are loud and only equalled by the cries to do away with the 2nd amendment.

We must uphold the Constitution even when we don't like the outcome.

blindrabbit 1 year, 11 months ago

If this "Crew" were smart they need to do the following: (1) Learn Damage Control as their ship continues to sink, (2) Learn how to operate a life preserver, an inflatable raft and S.O.S.language, (3) Adopt the old adage "Sink or Swim".(4) Understand the concepts of "Walking the Plank" and "Keel Hauling", "Captain's Mast" and "Cat-O-Nine Tails".

jayhawklawrence 1 year, 11 months ago

We are not going to get anything positive accomplished if we don't find a way to elevate the level of our discussions.

"Without a vision a nation shall perish..." [Proverbs 29:18].

What the Republican Party has been selling is not a worthy vision for America. Americans intuitively want something that represents our ideals as a nation.

Romney is struggling to understand what that is so I think we made the right choice in this election

It was not about getting "free stuff".

annoyingtheleft 1 year, 11 months ago

The problem Jayhawk, is there are two visions. One vision sees people wanting to build their own futures, they are independent and want government to only provide basic services. The other vision sees government being the provider of everything for everone because people are unwilling to take care of themselves. Unfortunately, it seems you are right, the ideals that represent America today are now proven to be those of dependancy and decay. Or as some refer to as progress. BTW, the verse says; "the PEOPLE" perish not a nation. American exceptionalism, you will be missed.

Fred Mertz 1 year, 11 months ago

A few thoughts.....I am saddened by the hate-filled posts above. The attacks and name calling serve no purpose other than to try to hurt those with whom you disagree.

We must disagree or we will fall victim to group-think and that never ends well, but we must disagree in a positive and constructive manner.

I think about this as I sit in church surrounded by many people who share different political views than me. I embrace them as my brothers and sisters in church so how can I write hateful things about them or their views? I must work not to defeat or crush them, but work with them to solve our shared problems.

annoyingtheleft 1 year, 11 months ago

Fred, nobody hates anyone. The bashing on this thread comes from those who hate God and therefore anyone else that professes a faith in Him. The hate is directed toward a person that simply acknowledes publically she is Christian and has stepped up to try and make a difference in our obvious world of intolerance.

Conservatives are sick and tired of tip-toeing around because they do not want to endure the wrath of progressive soociopaths. You want a world where people love and respect each other despite their differing political views, you need to start at the far left and work your way right. We on the right get the first amendment. We are just not willing to allow the double standard to go unchallenged any more! We are here so let's see how accepting Lawrence really is. Can't we all just get along :-)

Fred Mertz 1 year, 11 months ago

You contradict yourself when you say nobody hates anyone but then say the bashing comes from those who hate anyone who professes a faith in God.

Yes the left does hate but so does the right. I don't care if everyone loves one another but I do care that we stop hating long enough to solve our problems.

annoyingtheleft 1 year, 11 months ago

Here's to all you Twinkies and Ding Dongs out there!. Your social injustice gang has yielded another casualty thanks to your brave new fantasy-world trickle up poverty. Guess you showed those evil capitalists! Sorry stoners :-(

jayhawklawrence 1 year, 11 months ago

This post could not have answered the question better as to what is wrong with the Republican Party.

It is the people you choose to lead you.

annoyingtheleft 1 year, 11 months ago

Wrong again! He is a radio guy. why do you guys get things so mixed up???

tomatogrower 1 year, 11 months ago

And yet, another person who helped Romney lose. The Democrats would like to thank you.

Katara 1 year, 11 months ago

I keep reading your posts about free stuff but you never provide a list of what free stuff people are getting. Surely you have a list of the free things all these folks you bash on are getting?

You know what is interesting about your link? It gives no info. It is simply a form that someone fills out to determine if they are eligible for any government benefits. It includes categories such as veterans' benefits. It also includes career development assistance, education/training, disaster relief, environmental sustainability/conservation & volunteer opportunities.

Are going to suggest that people are getting free stuff from categories such as those?

blindrabbit 1 year, 11 months ago

Need an explanation: How did Rockchalk1977 make it through KU in the 1970's and still retain some GOP bull manure in his veins; this following the period of enlightenment of the late 1960's early 1970's. My assumption is that he still lives in the Lawrence area as he continues to mouth the far-right dittoheaded dogma on the LJW site as championed by Limbaugh, Hannity, Beck, Dobbs, Santorum, McConnell, Palin, Will , Simons and of course O'Reilly. I would have assumed a more conservative background, say K-State or anywhere in Kansas except Douglas County.

straightforward 1 year, 11 months ago

Extremists certainly exist on both sides, even in kansas. The comments on this story are proof of that. These are the people causing gridlock in government. Anyone who doesn't tow the party line and dares to compromise becomes a target in their party's next primary.

As someone who considers themself fairly conservative but not a radical, this news bothers me. Anyone who knows Mike Todd knows he is a fairly conservative guy. The thought of someone further right than him is scary. And to think the candidates in Douglas county weren't conservative enough is absurd. Can anyone really say with a straight face that Anthony Brown lost because he wasn't conservative enough?

Westy 1 year, 11 months ago

Who said this? “The reason I became a Democratic operative instead of a Republican was because there were more Democrats that didn’t have a clue than there were Republicans.”

James Carville - 2012

He also said, which I think depicts exactly the Democrats in Lawarence!

"The Democratic constituency is just like a herd of cows. All you have to do is lay out enough silage and they come running. That’s why I became an operative working with Democrats. With Democrats all you have to do is make a lot of noise, lay out the hay, and be ready to use the ole cattle prod in case a few want to bolt the herd.

Eighty percent of the people who call themselves Democrats don’t have a clue as to political reality."

For the person that wanted to know what "Free Stuff" is, I think James called it Silage in his statement above.

tomatogrower 1 year, 11 months ago

And another reason why Romney lost. You guys are really setting up the next Republican candidate for a fall.

Fred Mertz 1 year, 11 months ago

Yep Biden should have a pretty easy time of it unless Obama screws things up for him.

annoyingtheleft 1 year, 11 months ago

Kansas just elected the most Republicans in history, if I'm not mistaken. So no one fell around here except, let's see, Ann Mah and Kelly Kultala. Its all perspective tomato.

verity 1 year, 11 months ago

So who has our latest phoenix rising risen from? I get so confused trying to keep up. Dizzy really.

verity 1 year, 11 months ago

Except for a "Their best response . . . would be . . ." which really doesn't answer the question, I still haven't received any answer to my positive agenda question. Anything, please? I would like to think that the ultra right has some ideas beyond being obstructionists.