Archive for Friday, November 16, 2012

Letter: Try xylitol

November 16, 2012

To the editor:

In connection with the Nov. 12 Associated Press report in the Lawrence Journal-World concerning the Nov. 6 vote in Wichita against adding fluoride to the municipal water supply, the successful cavity prevention program in the low-income Stanley Elementary School in Wichita is worth noting. Sponsored by Philip Allen, MD, and his late wife, June Allen, RN, the classroom demonstration was conducted with parental consent by now-retired teacher Dorothy Gray using xylitol mints and chewing gum.

Approved as a dietary supplement by the Food and Drug Administration in 1963, xylitol is a naturally occurring five-carbon, decay-preventing sweetener found in birch trees that was adopted at one time for this purpose by American Indians. Depending on how much is used, xylitol is reported to reduce tooth decay by as much as 73 percent, according to a randomized, double-blind controlled study. Because it destroys decay-causing bacteria and promotes increased saliva flow to aid remineralization of tooth enamel, some dentists recommend its use to their patients.

In the Wichita demonstration, the children’s parents and dentists, as well as the children, were very pleased with the dental results and even found that earache problems ceased. Compared with the poor showing and harm caused by water fluoridation, an investment in xylitol for safe prevention of tooth decay in targeted areas could prove to be quite cost-effective.

Comments

Nys Cof 2 years, 1 month ago

"How Safe is Fluoride in Your Water?" ABC-TV investigative report uncovers evidence linking US studies to fluoride and health dangers aired 11/15/2012

"The Case Against Fluoride," by Connett, Micklem & Beck

"The Case Against Fluoride," by Connett, Micklem & Beck by Nys Cof

grimpeur 2 years, 1 month ago

Hey nyscof, people would take you a lot more seriously if you wrote a LTE and signed your name instead of spamming the two dozen members of the laughable comments section of this award-winning website.

classclown 2 years, 1 month ago

Albert Burgstahler must be a special guy. Most people get to write Letters to the editor. He gets to to write an Editorial to the editor.

Joe Hyde 2 years, 1 month ago

Interesting letter; my first time hearing of xylitol and its benefits. (The name makes it sound like some kind of rocket propellent.)

The most amazing decay-preventing substance I know of is a type of coating that pediatric dentists apply to the chewing surfaces of childrens molars and bicuspids. The coating is some kind of epoxy resin, I think. It's transparent, can't be seen once it dries after application. The coating keeps acid-forming food residue from reaching the enamel bite surfaces. (No acid contact, no cavity.) The development and use of this epoxy tooth coating procedure is the closest thing I can think of to being a dentistry miracle.

Katara 2 years, 1 month ago

The tooth coating is a really good thing. It is also covered under most dental plans.

StellaJane 2 years, 1 month ago

Isn't xylitol toxic to dogs? At first glance, I am concerned about adding something that could potentially cause a great deal of harm to my two dogs since they drink tap water.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 1 month ago

And taken in large amounts, it has a laxative effect.

2 years, 1 month ago

Mr Burgstahler,

The supplement you propose is highly toxic to many animals, but I suppose you don't have canine companions or you would know that. Also, people can be allergic to this substance and I am one of them. I would not be able to drink, bathe or touch anything that has been exposed to the municpal water supply if this substance would be added to it.

No thanks.

bearded_gnome 2 years ago

reading comprehension problems. don't think he's proposing adding zylitol to the water. I think he's promoting the use of it in gum or other more direct applications. he should have had a more direct statement sentence putting that, or else the ljworl edited that for "brevity."

indeed, protect the dogs. they are truly God's gift to us all. as I write, and as I commented under the other LTE, my own beloved dog was lying next to me, asking me to write on his behalf.
Gnomedog is an example of why dogs are our partners and we should look out for them.

kernal 2 years ago

There are enough people who cannot tolerate xylitol, that I doubt any municipal water department will add it at their treatment plants.