Archive for Thursday, November 15, 2012

Letter: Fluoride evil?

November 15, 2012

To the editor:

Would someone please explain exactly what evil fluoride is supposed to do?

I was born in St. Louis almost 70 years ago, and I drank fluoridated water at least through all years of elementary school before I moved to northwest Missouri. I think it was also fluoridated there. I still have all my teeth but two. There was actual decay in one and the other was a wisdom tooth that had to be cut out as it was growing in sideways. I have some fillings and go to the dentist regularly, but my teeth all seem to be good.

The nurse agreed with me on last physical that I am “disgustingly healthy.” I have had two children. I am bored in retirement and thinking of going back to work. The effects of lead and asbestos noted in your article are well-documented but I would like to know just what damage all that fluoride is going to do to me, and when.

Comments

gr 1 year, 5 months ago

gus, did you have a cell phone during that time. There, that's what protected you.

Seriously, do you know how science is done?

You are arguing that if there is no apparent harm towards a specific aspect, then it should be used. However, if it is not a nutrient, it is harmful, found in poisons, and serves no purpose in making the water supply safe, then it is a contaminate. And if it is intentionally put in the water supply, then whoever does this is in violation of intentionally contaminating a water supply. Maybe a class action lawsuit would be in order.

Fluoride is a drug. Some say it is supposed to medicate teeth. Tell me, if someone is medicating someone without a license, with no control over the dosage, and there are established limits, what do you think should be done to them. Some people are getting no fluoridated water because they think soft drinks are what people should drink and others are getting way too much. If someone thinks the are deficient in fluoride, let them go to their doctor and ask for some fluoride tablets (or whatever) just like people do with any other poisonous drugs.

Fluoridators are practicing medicine without a license and should be fined or locked up.

Nys Cof 1 year, 5 months ago

Today an ABC-TV Investigation finds US studies link fluoride to health dangers. How Safe is Fluoride in Your Water?

SnakeFist 1 year, 5 months ago

Its ironic that science has improved our lives to the point that we now feel so invulnerable we reject science as wrong or unnecessary. Fluoride, childhood immunizations, and obstetricians brought great advances in health, but now that we're healthy, we think we can do better without them.

mycatsrightorwrong 1 year, 5 months ago

These anti-science fluoride psycho's are no worse than the anti-science organic movement. They prop up bogus studies as unquestioned authority, and ignore scientific consensus.

SloMo 1 year, 5 months ago

I have spent upwards of $30,000.00 on my teeth to make them presentable. Not movie-star gorgeous. Just normal-looking.

People used to ask me point-blank if I ever brushed them because they looked so horrid. I actually wasn't able to get them very clean because of how pitted they were. And brown all the way through, not just superficially.

And yes, this was due to exposure to too-large amounts of fluoride as a child.

I wouldn't call this "evil," and I do believe that small amounts of fluoride are beneficial for adult teeth, but over-exposure during certain developmental stages can have really bad lasting effects.

mom_of_three 1 year, 5 months ago

the effects of flouride have always been one of those conspiracy theories.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 1 year, 5 months ago

Me, me, I know I know!!!!!!!!!!

Supporters of flouride, whose benefits far outweigh the difficulties, are known to be supporters of women's rights, high gas prices, depressed national economy, high national debt, the muslim, Kenyan president and other liberal touchstones, and therefore the advocacy of this demon vile chemical must be erased from the city of Wichita.

oldmomxx 1 year, 5 months ago

Fluoride is also known to weaken bones even if it is supposed to prevent cavities. It occurs naturally in small amounts: Why add more? More is not always better.

headdoctor 1 year, 5 months ago

Fluoride, as with most chemicals can effect different people in different ways. I don't believe fluoride is good for infants and small children and the value of fluoride in adults is questionable. The biggest problem with any additive is when the various water departments have mistakes made on how much additive is used. Not knowing, following guidelines, broken equipment, or not adjusting amounts injected into the water supply following quality tests are the biggest problem with fluoride.

I also believe that people make the mistake of blaming fluoride for problems when chlorine is actually the culprit. Chlorine has been over used and over injected into our water supply for decades. There is no doubt that chlorine is a poison and has been blamed for many medical issues including cancer and diabetes.

MoralVictory 1 year, 5 months ago

The "studies" cited by nyscof are highly questionable, so much so that no reputable scientific organization in the world sites them as anything but pure gibberish. Used in controlled levels, there are no proven side effects to fluoridated water.

Gus is right...fluoridated water has been around for decades and, if there were any clear side effects, they would have shown up in a consistent basis among the tens of millions of people who have been drinking it for years. Of course, there are no such side effects.

Nys Cof 1 year, 5 months ago

Like all drugs, fluoride has side effects that affect different people in different ways, and some not at all, that can range from skin rash and stomach pains to bone and tooth damage.

Studies also link fluoride to lowered IQ, thyroid dysfunction, and even cancer.

There is no dispute that too much fluoride weakens bones and that people should limit their daily fluoride intake. However, with fluoride in the water, it's impossible for people to know how much fluoride they've ingested daily especially since fluoridated water is used to make most foods purchased in supermarkets and restaurants and is inhaled in showers and absorbed in baths. Also fluoride containing pesticide residues remain on many foods. Tea, ocean fish and some grape juices and win are very high in fluoride.

Since fluoride is neither a nutrient nor required for healthy teeth and no American is, or ever was, fluoride deficient, it doesn't make any sense to put fluoride chemicals into public water supplies especially when current science proves that fluoride ingestion does not reduce tooth decay. Topical application is what gets fluoride into tooth enamel.

"The Case Against Fluoride," by Connett, Micklem and Beck