Archive for Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Cyclist suffers critical injuries after being struck by SUV

November 13, 2012, 3:24 p.m. Updated November 13, 2012, 4:01 p.m.

A cyclist was flown by air ambulance to a Kansas City-area hospital with critical injuries after a vehicle struck him near 11th and Kentucky streets. The vehicle and bicycle collided at about 3:15 p.m.

Lawrence police investigate a vehicle-versus-bicycle accident at 11th and Kentucky streets. The cyclist suffered critical injuries and was flown by air ambulance to a Kansas City-area hospital.

Medics load an injured cyclist onto an air ambulance in Memorial Stadium's parking lot. The cyclist was injured when he was struck by an SUV at the intersection of 11th and Kentucky streets on Tuesday, Nov. 13, 2012.

A white Chevrolet sport utility vehicle was traveling west on 11th Street when it struck the cyclist, said Lawrence Police Sgt. Trent McKinley. McKinley said police were not sure in which direction the cyclist was heading.

McKinley could not specifically address the injuries suffered by the cyclist, who was wearing a helmet.

Eleventh Street between Kentucky and Tennessee streets is closed, and will remain so for several hours, McKinley said. Traffic on westbound 11th Street and northbound Kentucky Street is reduced as police investigate the scene.

McKinley said police are looking for eyewitnesses, and urged anyone who saw the accident to call Lawrence police at 832-7509.

Check LJWorld.com for more information as it is available.

Comments

kwilkins74 1 year, 9 months ago

Everyone needs to SLOW down and pay more attention. Too many people are in a hurry all the time. Thoughts are with those involved.

Scattered 1 year, 9 months ago

Praying for a full recovery. Everyone does need to slow down. The roadways in this town can be scary if you are on a bicycle, on foot, or even in a vehicle.

cdecoito 1 year, 9 months ago

Was at the scene very shortly after the accident and it took an ambulance nearly 20 minutes to arrive on the scene. Maybe this man's critical injuries could've been better treated with an immediate response. I'm thoroughly disgusted at this.

Thoughts and prayers to the victim!

AirForce12 1 year, 9 months ago

Then that would be due to a delayed call from the scene to 911 or a delay from dispatch to EMS. You are likely not accurate on your portrayal of time or the above mentioned. No where in Lawrence has a 20 minute response time.

LA_Ex 1 year, 9 months ago

I was listening to the scanner when this happened. I'm pretty sure I heard medic one go on scene in less than 3 minutes. They are at the fire station at 8th & Kentucky.

mytwocents 1 year, 9 months ago

This is a terrible intersection for cyclists. If you are on a bike heading West up 11th street from downtown and wish to cross Kentucky Street you have two legal options:

1) Stay in the left most Westbound lane, which is not near the curb, and risk cars behind you being mad and honking at you to get out of their way when the light turns. Cars honk at cyclist in this lane all the time. The light turns, and you are using your pedal power to start cycling through the intersection, which is not nearly as fast as the folks who hit the gas. The cars are trying to make that next light up at Tennessee, which is timed to change less than a minute after the light turns on Kentucky & 11th.

2) Stay in the right lane, which is the turning lane and the lane next to the curb. When you do this, the turning cars are mad at you because they want to turn right on red and you are preventing them from doing that, but it does allow you to cross at an officially painted cross walk.

The third route is the route that breaks the law, but the most safe route. This is where you ride up 11th street, and at the retirement community building, you illegally cross the yellow line and ride over to the sidewalk so that you can cross the Kentucky/11th intersection on the crosswalk on the opposite side of the street. I then usually wait for a red light and cross while traffic is stopped. This takes a little bit longer, and requires you to ride on the sidewalk which is illegal in the downtown business district, and also requires you to illegally ride over the yellow line. Of course you also risk then having pedestrians yell at you for riding on the sidewalk. Had this happen on more than one occasion too.

I don't know if this man was injured while cycling westbound like these routes I've written about, or if the cyclist was heading down the hill, eastbound, which is usually a much safer biking route.

We need a safe bike route from downtown to the Oread neighborhood. Rachel Leek was killed on her bike in the 1000 block of Tennessee just around the corner from this bike accident. It's clear the city needs to take some steps to helping biking be safer in this town.

Btw, the helmet is still on the ground at the intersection. Did it fall off in the accident? Or did first responders just ditch it there?

average 1 year, 9 months ago

I'm not sure on legalities of it, but my approach to that and similar intersections (any with a right-turn-lane) is:

If no car is yet in queue to go forward, I stop on the very right edge of the forward lane, basically straddling the line. Room for people on both sides. Stay back far enough that a right-turn-on-red car can see around me.

If there is a car already in the straight-through queue, I get behind them in the middle of the lane. Never been honked at for that.

In either event, when I start moving through the intersection, I aim for the right side allowing (encouraging) a pass.

majiktami 1 year, 9 months ago

so glad you are concerned about the helmet :( the first responders ditched it because apparently his injuries were bad enough that it wasn't worth getting the helmet. I hope he is ok.

parrothead8 1 year, 9 months ago

I hope everything turns out okay here.

BTW...bike helmets are designed to absorb one serious impact, so there's really no use in keeping one after a crash.

Linda and Bill Houghton 1 year, 9 months ago

I was one of those (at least 5 that I know of) who went down because of wet algae at Lone Star Lake a few years ago. There is a the warning sign now. I don't remember going down. The first thing the medic told me was what had happened. The second thing was that I needed a new helmet.

parrothead8 1 year, 9 months ago

Good thing you had that helmet on.

repaste 1 year, 9 months ago

Liberty, you are all I imagine you to be. Put a sign on your SUV, let's see what a cyclist can do to you. You would be shocked.

Liberty275 1 year, 9 months ago

You people have no sense of sarcasm. I was commenting on the use of "SUV" in the headline. A person hit by a car is no less injured than one hit by a SUV.

What should I write on the sign? What do you think the cyclist is going to do?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 1 year, 9 months ago

You need to learn the difference between being sarcastic and being an insensitive jerk.

socnick 1 year, 9 months ago

And with that logic, a person hit by an car is no less injured than a person who is hit by a semi truck? Ignorant. Try thinking before you troll.

jonas_opines 1 year, 9 months ago

"You people have no sense of sarcasm."

Perhaps you just do it poorly.

repaste 1 year, 9 months ago

Anyone see the bike? I heard it was a red specialized. Carbon or alum.?

mytwocents 1 year, 9 months ago

Red bike, curvy handles, thin road tires. Was all taped off so I didn't get much more than that. If the comment below about the man being in his 60's is right, I've seen an older white haired gentleman on a red bike always wearing a helmet. Maybe it's him?

majiktami 1 year, 9 months ago

My children and I rolled up on this accident within two minutes of impacst, and there was an official there, but we heard sirens and I cried as the ambulance helicopter flew over. I pray that this person will recover. It has been breaking my heart all night. I pray he is ok.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 9 months ago

oh. this is bad. I sincerely hope and pray he recovers.

so many accidents in a short time in just a few blocks' distance.

majiktami 1 year, 9 months ago

not the time/place for sarcasm.

cdecoito 1 year, 9 months ago

There definitely were responders... Several police cars. No ambulance for 15-20 minutes.

Jean Robart 1 year, 9 months ago

Sorry---it does NOT take 20 minutes to go three blocks. I live in the retirement community on that corner, and the place was swarming immediately with emergency vehicles.

feetup 1 year, 9 months ago

Since I've moved back I have developed a "little old lady' driving habit. Start slow, check every mirror, drive slow, alway allowing a merge in, putt putt. So if you see me, don't honk at me. Im trying to be safe for me and those around me. Especially on the one way traffic ways. I'm the one doing the speed limit while other cars fly around me and look annoyed. yeah im that car. Even at the speed limits i have been swooped by all kinds of vehicles, 2 and 4 wheels. But I am very glad i usually see them first. I try to give 2 wheels units plenty of room to safely manuever My heart and prayers to this young cyclist for a recovery.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 9 months ago

Above all else be sure motorized vehicles are aware and stopped before proceeding. Some drivers believe the right of way belongs to them no matter what. Right or wrong motorized vehicles are too big.

Of course Lawrence,Ks wants this person to recover.... absolutely.

Perhaps the City of Lawrence should consider providing two " Pedestrian - Cyclists Safe Pathways" in this area.

Create pathways on two of the most dangerous streets for both pedestrians and cyclists aka Tennessee and Kentucky. The right of way is available aka existing sidewalks and there is a ton of bike and pedestrian traffic in these areas at all hours.

1. Widen sidewalks on the eastside of each street to accommodate both cyclists and pedestrians.
  2. Light them up.
  3. Provide cross walk signs and markings at each intersection from 7th to 19th to increase awareness of drivers
  4. Decrease speed by 5 mph from 7th to 19th
  5. In the process the city is making it safer for women = rape prevention.
  6. Name these pathways "Safer off street travel for All"

The investment is small compared to the safety that could be provided. KU students are worth the investment considering the number of jobs they generate and tax dollar revenue they generate. Frankly all cyclists,walkers,joggers etc etc etc etc are worth this investment.

Again Lawrence needs this person to recover.

ridikkulus 1 year, 9 months ago

Many people use bicycles as a mode of transportation. It is not possible to get from an apartment on Kentucky street to campus via a "trail in the mountains", especially since the closest mountains lie the full length of a state to the west. Get over yourself, and be considerate when you drive.

ridikkulus 1 year, 9 months ago

When of if you see them might be the problem. It is YOUR responsibility, as a driver, to LOOK for hazards, since you are essentially behind the wheel of a 2,000 pound weapon with a large amount of kinetic energy. There's no way around it. You HAVE to anticipate that anything can happen. Slow down, and be aware of your surroundings when you're in traffic. The idea that anyone that isn't you, and any vehicle that isn't yours, should have to watch out for YOU, and to assume that everyone is doing so, is absolutely Narcissistic and irresponsible. To harbor the idea that anyone who isn't you, on a mode of transportation that isn't a car, should sequester themselves to mountain trails so that you aren't inconvenienced is, well, "ridikkulus".

inquire 1 year, 9 months ago

neworleans- I'm so sorry that you are unable to keep aware of your surroundings. If you consider yourself this dangerous to a cyclist, it should be obvious to you that you more dangerous to your fellow motorists as well. I would recommend that you surrender your license until you are able to drive in a safe manner for every person around you. Here is a link to a drivers ed class that I hear good things about. Good luck and godspeed. http://www.kennedydrivered.com/

jonas_opines 1 year, 9 months ago

"I do yield to the bike riders.............."when or if i see them""

I hear you brother! I've been thinking the same thing about children, too! Damned rugrats, shooting out into the street for stupid things like balls and such. So hard to see 'cuz they're so small!

Jean Robart 1 year, 9 months ago

LJW--- can we get an update on the gentleman who was hurt? I heard on the news he was 60ish, but that's all. And was this really a hit and run, like they said on tv?

MISTERTibbs 1 year, 9 months ago

Looking at the pictures attached to the story, that is a white Chevy SUV in the picture with the bicycle on the road in front of it.

Unless there was another white Chevy SUV right there by coincidence, I would say that no it was not a hit and run.

mytwocents 1 year, 9 months ago

The white SUV was there, the driver was questioned by police. Not a hit and run.

flloyd 1 year, 9 months ago

I felt safer riding a bicycle in San Francisco when I lived there than I do here in Lawrence...

ridikkulus 1 year, 9 months ago

Same here, in both Redondo Beach, CA and Boulder, CO. The "Me-centric" attitudes of the drivers of a certain age group and a certain county are absolutely unbelievable.

emceelean 1 year, 9 months ago

It simply isn't safe for cyclists. This is all anecdotal, but I get antsy whenever I'm driving down Tennessee in the Oread neighborhood and I see cyclists in the right lane. Sometimes a group of cyclists is in single-file, other times they aren't. I understand that many people don't drive cars and they have various reasons for using bikes. Personally, if I was one of those people I would feel very insecure about traveling in the area, but especially on Kentucky and Tennessee. This isn't to suggest that they shouldn't, though.

Now that I've insensitively expressed myself, I hope this person recovers and that incidents like this cease to happen.

family1st 1 year, 9 months ago

To those of you who have expressed concern for Don, thank you. He is very banged up with many fractures but should recover. Yes, he is an avid cyclist and has been for many years. He is also compulsively safety conscious so if he did turn in front of a car that would be very out of character.

The police are looking for anyone who witnessed the accident so that they have more than JUST the driver's account of what happened. If anyone did see it happen please contact the Lawrence Police.

Julia Rose-Weston 1 year, 9 months ago

Thank you, family1st, for this posting. I have had Don in my thoughts ever since I heard of the accident. The Cordley family would like to know how they can help. Please contact them if you know how.

dipweed 1 year, 9 months ago

I have cycled with Don many times and agree that it would be very out of character for him to take risks on the road. I think there is more to this story than we have heard thus far.

Richard Heckler 1 year, 9 months ago

Walking/Cycling Endeavor

Since there is plenty of money in Lawrence I see no reason why the city does not adopt a plan submitted by Mike Myers that would connect the Burroughs Creek trail to the river levee and other close by trails. This plan was designed at no cost and is practical.

There always seems to money lying around when city hall wants to do a project. This project costs significantly less money than is applied to tax incentives and would provide additional safe passage for cyclists.

The cost for one mile of 4 lane highway = 250 miles of walking/cycling pathways. The best bang for the tax buck.

For the cost of the $40-$50 million Field House Lawrence,Kansas could have maybe 750 miles of new and safer wider sidewalks in old east Lawrence plus several hundred miles of safer cycling paths throughout Lawrence that would take cyclist somewhere.

Parents would love this safe travel for their children. All for the best bang for our tax bucks.

City Hall could create pathways on two of the most dangerous streets for both pedestrians and cyclists aka Tennessee and Kentucky. The right of way is available aka existing sidewalks and there is a ton of bike and pedestrian traffic in these areas.

The investment is small compared to the safety that could be provided.

Frankly all cyclists,walkers,joggers etc etc etc etc are worth this investment.This could certainly be accomplished for wayyyyyyy less than another $25 million Athletic project. Maybe $750,000 – one million $$$. Yes throw my tax dollars at this project.

Thinking of the multi millions city hall gives away to developers this Tennessee and Kentucky concept is not even a drop in the bucket.