Archive for Saturday, November 10, 2012

Letter: Rewriting history

November 10, 2012

To the editor:

Readers of the Journal-World are accustomed to editorials that reflect what is at best a hazy and quite often erroneous portrayal of past events. However, Thursday’s editorial screed, “Promises pending,” may set a new standard for both petulance and misrepresentation.

Yes, we understand that the owner/publisher’s candidate did not reclaim the presidency for the Republican Party. I’m happy. He’s not. But to blame President Obama for the polarization of the past four years and the ongoing divisions within this country, given the avowed goal of such individuals as Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (who famously said in 2010 that his top goal was to ensure that Barack Obama was a one-term president) to do everything possible to obstruct efforts to resolve our nation’s problems, is an astonishing distortion of recent history.

Ditto the claim that the Democrats reached some new high (or low) in demonizing Mitt Romney. Surely, someone recalls the “Swift Boat” campaign that contributed to sinking John Kerry’s candidacy in 2004? Ditto the assertion that President Obama did not receive a mandate since the “popular vote was relatively even.” A quick look at the past 20 years reveals that only former President Bush’s victory in 2004 (50.73 percent, which he claimed WAS a mandate), President Obama’s victory in 2008 (52.87 percent), and now his 2012 margin (50.4 percent quite probably adjusted upward when the Florida numbers are final) reached the 50th threshhold. In this fractured electorate, his victory Tuesday was a mandate in my book.

Comments

Abdu Omar 2 years, 4 months ago

In mine too, but then we won, they didn't! Let the republicans bring for "IDEAS" other than "NO" and maybe next time they will have a mandate.

CastleRock 2 years, 4 months ago

"Even so, the nation remains split. Although Obama won the electoral vote, the popular vote remains relatively even. Obama did not receive a mandate".

The above are quotes from Dolph's editorial yesterday. Given this....here are some numbers to chew on....

Obama - 61,681,462 votes (51.33%) (percentage excludes third-party candidates) Romney - 58,488,199 votes (48.67%) (percentage excludes third-party candidates)

The above numbers are updated as of this morning. The spread has continued to trend upwards from 2.25% (the morning after the election) to the current spread of 2.66% (51.33% - 48.67%). The 2.66% is higher than the 2004 election spread of 2.49% between Bush/Kerry.

jafs 2 years, 4 months ago

They're still all very small margins of victory.

So, it's correct to say that virtually half of the country voted for the other guy.

parrothead8 2 years, 4 months ago

It doesn't matter if you win by 1 or by 20...a victory is a victory. And the point remains that Dolph's editorial was pretty ridiculous.

jafs 2 years, 4 months ago

It absolutely matters, if you want to correctly understand the meaning of elections.

A very small margin of victory indicates that many people in this country voted for the other guy, whereas a very large one means that's not the case.

When we have such small margins of victory in elections, that means to me that we are a very divided nation, with approximately half of the voters unhappy each time around. And, it also means to me that we should really find a way to work together, rather than considering an election win a "mandate" or "landslide" when that's clearly not the case at all.

verity 2 years, 4 months ago

Methinks we have another phoenix rising. Maybe someone who left in a tantrum worthy of any two year old just a few days ago?

Liberty275 2 years, 4 months ago

If you wouldn't mind, I'd like it blew.

Liberty275 2 years, 4 months ago

As long as the House continues obstructing him, the most damage Obama can do to this country is by fiat or if a SCOTUS judge resigns and he can get a nominee past the senate.

No worries.

jafs 2 years, 4 months ago

Of course, the other way to say that is that he can't do much to help things.

Liberty275 2 years, 4 months ago

I don't think he has done anything to help.

jafs 2 years, 4 months ago

I know.

But, that's kind of your ideological position - that government is basically bad, right?

Also, you must have noticed, being intelligent, that the R have been doing everything they can to obstruct him during his first term, I hope.

Liberty275 2 years, 4 months ago

" that government is basically bad, right?"

Government intrusion into the lives of citizens is bad. We pay the government to handle the day-to-day business of our country, not tell citizens they have to carry mistakes to term, they can't have certain drugs or 16 ounces of Coke is enough.

I'm not anti-government, I'm anti-government-butting-its-nose-into-our-lives.

"R have been doing everything they can to obstruct him during his first term, I hope."

It's like this. When a D is in the white house, I expect the Rs to obstruct. When an R is in the white house, I expect the Ds to obstruct. As long as Ds and Rs are fighting amongst themselves, they are less liable to pass more garbage law. We already have too much law as it is.

jafs 2 years, 4 months ago

That's fine.

But then you can't blame him for "not doing anything to help".

Your position assumes that government won't/can't do anything positive, and so the best thing to do is stop it from doing much at all.

Liberty275 2 years, 4 months ago

Bozo isn't a waste of humanity, he's just wrong 90% of the time. Be nice.

Mike Ford 2 years, 4 months ago

nice to know one party always says no to crazy because other party won't accept they lost and stop proposing crazy. you lost....stop being a sore loser and blaming those who beat you....you're the ones obstructing......give up and cooperate for once.....just like those stupid stickers I saw growing up in Louisiana and Mississippi....the south is not going to rise again.....the gop is to blame here. your ideas lost.....deal with it.....

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 4 months ago

Texas is starting to saber rattle and call for secession. Kansas needs to go with them and take Oklahoma and Arizona with you. Then you can make the United States of Koch and frack and mine and dump toxic waste to your heart's content. I highly doubt the rest of the country will care enough to mount another Civil War to prevent it. It will be more like "good riddance to bad rubbish". Sam Brownback will play footsie with Rick Perry and all of their psuedo Christian friends will be able to put stocks in the village square again. They can start building Chinese style factories and go into competition.

Unfortunately, the rest of the US will have to close it's borders. So don't let the door hit ya in the rear on the way out. Was (not) good knowing you.

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 4 months ago

Oh and to you poor residents of Lawrence. I hate to say this but you're just going to have to pick up and move 50 miles east. We're going to keep Missouri. They at least had the sense to jettison Todd Akin and take Claire.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 4 months ago

Just a couple of weeks ago you derisively said my handle said it all when we were discussing an issue concerning Kansas. Of course, it turns out that I am the resident and you are the non resident of our state. But we in Kansas do thank you for you concern for our fair state. Still, with the approval of you and all the residents of the state of Tennessee, I think we'll choose to remain in the Union.

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 4 months ago

Hmm. looking back through my comment history I don't see where I addressed your residence/non-residence. That's because, oh yeah! I didn't do it. As to my right to call myself a Kansan, I suggest you read this:

jhawkinsf 2 years, 4 months ago

Sept. 26, 9:13 p.m., during a discussion about Dr. Tiller.

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 4 months ago

WHAT? That was in reply to a question where someone else asked if you lived in Kansas! I assumed you didn't from your user name then you explained it. There was nothing "derisive" about it. Wow! Sensitive much?

Corey Williams 2 years, 4 months ago

Gone again. Can't play nice so can't play at all. I wonder what their next name will be.