Letters to the Editor

Don’t be fooled

May 18, 2012

To the editor:

According to the Kansas Economic Progress Council, a statewide nonprofit organization of businesses, trade organizations, chambers of commerce and others interested in advancing sound policy in Kansas, to offset the drastic tax cuts contained in the bill sent to Gov. Sam Brownback last week, private sector jobs in Kansas must increase 50 percent during the next six years.

Brownback is enthralled with Texas history and wants Kansas to imitate it. Unfortunately, in his haste to pay off his financial backers, the governor overlooks the fact that, in the past 10 years, Texas job growth, according to the U.S. Department of Labor, has only amounted to 14.8 percent. In other words, according to the KEPC, “Kansas would have to grow over five and a half times as fast as Texas has been growing to get to a zero ending balance in 2018.”

And if that isn’t bad enough, these jobs created must average paying $50,000 per year.

Don’t be fooled, this House Bill 2117 is going to dramatically increase property taxes and at the same time hurt education, kindergarten through college, as well as lots of other services many of us need.

pace 3 years, 6 months ago

1+ Thank you for writing this letter. It will take decades to rebuild Kansas. Brownback should resign.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 6 months ago

Recall the master of deception..... aka Gov Sam Brownback.

Taxpayers would be money ahead and few hundred state employees would still have jobs.

Peacemaker452 3 years, 6 months ago

You might want to investigate what those numbers really represent before you hang your hat on them.

jafs 3 years, 6 months ago

They clearly represent the fact that most of the states that get much more from the federal government than they pay in taxes are R states.

So much for self-reliance, cutting federal government spending, etc.

Peacemaker452 3 years, 6 months ago

Actually, the numbers represent total federal monies flowing into a state. If you look at the breakdown, the amount of federal “welfare” is distributed at a significantly different ratio than the total.

States with relatively low population densities that have Indian reservations, military bases or other large federal activities are naturally have higher federal payments.

It is funny how all of you that complain about people using the “50% don’t pay federal taxes” data because it doesn’t represent the full story continue to use this sound bite. Kind of hypocritical, don’t you think.

jafs 3 years, 6 months ago

What's your point?

Military spending, etc. are all federal spending, aren't they?

Folks on the right are always talking about how they want to cut federal spending, but apparently that doesn't translate to the spending they benefit from somehow.

I didn't say anything about "welfare".

Peacemaker452 3 years, 6 months ago

The title of the article cited included "Welfare Queens", so if you support the article you are saying all federal spending is "welfare".

I really don't care about your left/right argument, I was simply pointing out the fact that you are using incomplete information about twisted data to draw a conclusion.

jafs 3 years, 6 months ago

What's the twist?

Red states tend to take more in federal dollars than they contribute.

When poor folks do that, they're called "tax dollar moochers" by those on the right (ie in Red states.)

It's odd how that doesn't translate to those states.

Peacemaker452 3 years, 6 months ago

Grow up.

California does not have a low population density, now does it? In fact, it has a high population density and the highest number of millionaire or higher households of all the states. So that is why it doesn't match the criteria from my earlier post.

See how easy that is to deduce when you use logic instead of blind devotion to your dogma.

As I have said to Jafs before; I can deduce from most of your writing that you are not an unintelligent person, so to continue to draw the conclusions that you seem to be drawing from this data must be intentional ignorance of the facts.

esteshawk 3 years, 6 months ago

The government IS people. Any citizen has the right to attend any government meeting and be heard. You can be sure not everyone can attend a Koch Industries meeting and make their ideas known.

Liberty275 3 years, 6 months ago

No, the government is hired by the people. Society is the people.

repaste 3 years, 6 months ago

Them simple conservative minds just want a truck, some beer, little woman in the, kitchen and a simple life without any whackos bothering them. They prefer their welfare be corporate, and want the Govt. to stay out of their Medicare.

Alyosha 3 years, 6 months ago

Unwarranted, blanket assertions: check.

Bizarre phrasings and unnecessary quote marks: check.

Juvenile, non-serious comment: check.

Yep, it's FalseHopeNoChange.

Try to add something adult to the discussion, what say?

Crazy_Larry 3 years, 6 months ago

"Life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."

rtwngr 3 years, 6 months ago

Go, Sammy, go!!! You want to know what else, libs? The GOP is going to take the Presidency and the Senate this fall. We are going to roll back all of the Obama, left wing, socialist, big government crap that has been rammed through. How do you like them apples? The same policies that Brownback is proposing are working in Texas, Wisconsin, Ohio and other GOP dominated states. Every single state that is operating at a deficit and can't pay its bills, is Demagoguecrat controlled.

esteshawk 3 years, 6 months ago

Not to mention all the Federal jobs in the welfare known as NASA.

tomatogrower 3 years, 6 months ago

Are you really blind to the facts, rtwngr? The fact that Texas is doing so poorly is ok? You want this for Kansas? Why?

esteshawk 3 years, 6 months ago

In reading your post, it appears you cannot differentiate between sports and reality. Rah rah, go team. In five years when these failed policies mean you have no decent roads, you will probably blame the democrats that will then be in office trying to fix the republican created mess ( oh wait . . . ).

Alyosha 3 years, 6 months ago

When you say "rammed through," I think you mean "voted into law by the duly elected representatives of the American people, and signed into law by the duly elected President of the United states."

Fixed that for you.

Now, for the rest of your comment, it simply isn't worth adult consideration, loaded as it is with emotion-laden nonsense. What you call "Left wing, socialist, big government crap" is in line with Eisenhower's policies.

Or do y'all now see Ike as a commie too?

Geiiga 3 years, 6 months ago

Wisconsin is the only state that hasn't benefited from the Obama economy -- lost another 6,000 jobs under Scott "I hired a pedophile to defraud veterans" Walker's short term as being Brownback's slightly less incompetent little brother.

Geiiga 3 years, 6 months ago

...lost 6000 jobs in the first quarter of this year. Wisconsin's also the only state to lose a statistically significant number of jobs under Obama's presidency.

lucky_guy 3 years, 6 months ago

Listen up guys, this is real story. I couldn't believe this tax stuff either. But here is the skinny. Muscular Sam has been told that there is a lake of crude oil a mile down under south central Ks. Note that all taxes were cut except the severance tax on oil. Sam will make all the tax cuts back on the revenues from this bonanza. Just go to Barber and Harvey counties and ask them. There is a oil boom down there. The price of crappy scrub land has gone up by a factor of 5 in the last two years. The existing Holcomb energy plant is gearing up to provide more power and transmission grids to serve the oil well boom that Sam thinks is coming. So it won't matter what happens in Topeka anymore. Sam believes that we are going to become North Dakota and have workers busting down the doors to come and work in the oil patch. My advice, buy land south of Wichita as fast as you can, and get out.

verity 3 years, 6 months ago

Thank you for the inside tip---I'm on the run right now---however, Harvey County is not south of Wichita. Just a small quibble

yourworstnightmare 3 years, 6 months ago

There you go again with your facts again, Richard.

This is not about facts. It's about ideology. Facts and consequences do not matter. What is important is applying a faith based economic system in that state.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 6 months ago

Didn't you also predict that Rick Perry would be the GOP nominee for President this year? Your track record ain't so good lately.

Enlightenment 3 years, 6 months ago

One could only hope Walker will be recalled in June. Unfortunately he has a slight lead over his opponent. In addition to the millions of dollars from out of state donors that includes the Kochs, he has many naive Christian conservatives that support his crazy self serving agenda.

In many ways, Walker is similar to Brownback. Both governors have done nothing to improve their state's economic situation and have focused on moral issues and insignificant legislation designed to appease Republican voters so the governors can continue their back room dealings with big businesses and ALEC members.

Crazy_Larry 3 years, 6 months ago

Are you as disconnected from reality as your comments make you seem? Someone once said: "Tis better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt"

Crazy_Larry 3 years, 6 months ago

Sitting here like uninvited company Wallowing in my own obscenities I share a cigarette with negativity Sitting here like wet ashes With X's in my eyes and drawing flies

Bathed in perspiration drowned my enemies Used my inspiration for a guillotine I fire a loaded mental cannon to the page

Leaning on the pedestal that holds my self denial Firing the pistol that shoots my holy pride Sitting here like wet ashes With X's in my eyes, and drawing flies

Hey what you yelling About, conditions, permission, mirrored self affliction Hey what you yellin' about sadist's Co-addiction, perfect analogies hey what you yellin' about conditions permission mirrored self affliction

Leaning on the pedestal that holds my self denial Firing the pistol that shoots my holy pride Sitting here like wet ashes with X's in my eyes And drawing flies

Crazy_Larry 3 years, 6 months ago

Cutting taxes for the rich does not build a strong economy. If it did, we'd be drowning in jobs right now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBx2Y5...

George Lippencott 3 years, 6 months ago

Would Douglas County be able to raise property taxes to fund KU? How much room is in the local option budget for K-12? How would Douglas County/Lawrence fund Medicaid or roads or the highway patrol?

Yes, if the revenue lost to tax cuts is not made up by new revenue from increased business activity we will face a need to cut services that would be difficult to replace locally or - drum role - raise taxes to avoid the cuts.

Whatever happens with taxes in Topeka is at best a one year action at the end of which saner heads will prevail when faced with the consequences (which could include none)

Katara 3 years, 6 months ago

Moderate (anonymous) says… "How is it going to dramatically increase property taxes? Would it not be logical that the parts of Kansas supporting the governor would resist property tax increases and insist on service cuts?"

What service cuts do you think rural Kansans are going to be able to make? Many are already at bare bones level as it is.

Do you remember Gov. Brownback's promise to revitalize rural Kansas? Many of them still expect him to follow through with that promise.

Of course, none of the actual residents directly benefit from his proposal. The tax breaks are only for people who have lived outside of KS 5+ years and who move to the rural opportunity zones. And the proposal doesn't really do anything to help with infrastructure in those towns or provide jobs for the existing residents and, oh yeah, requires the counties to match the state funds...

George Lippencott 3 years, 6 months ago

Katara says: What service cuts do you think rural Kansans are going to be able to make? Many are already at bare bones level as it is"

Moderete Responds Why do they elect Republicans who cut their services?. By your argument we should have a Democrat Party controlled legislature?

If someone moves to a rural opportunity zone and establishes a business, will he or she bring employees from elsewhere or hire local people?? Thought the latter was the governor's argument.

Let us see the federal government added a large number of troops (and this dependents) to Riley. Local businesses and governments responded by providing civic services. Taxes were raised to pay fro them. What is the difference?

Katara 3 years, 6 months ago

I have no idea why they keep voting for Republicans. There is a book about that phenomenon, I understand.

The difference would be that Riley county is not required to put up matching funds to provide civic services. The Feds usually do pony up some more cash for the community to absorb the extra.

It would be difficult for someone to move to a rural opportunity zone and establish a business, particularly if they are wanting to bring employees from elsewhere. The infrastructure is just not there nor the resources that most businesses want. The other issue is that the county (already strapped for cash) is required to match the state's funds in the rural opportunity zone.

George Lippencott 3 years, 6 months ago

Yes, the feds do contribute but taxes out ther went up quite a bit to cover services. I wonder how it will all feel when the Base Realignment effort closes all or part of Riley

chootspa 3 years, 6 months ago

They vote for Republicans because the poor ones would rather regulate vaginas than evaluate whether or not they're shooting themselves in the foot economically, the moderate ones think someday they'll be rich, and the rich ones would rather give themselves tax cuts than worry about whether or not they need to drive to a different state for an abortion.

George Lippencott 3 years, 6 months ago

DON'T KNOW ABOUT THE +12 BUT not everyone wants an abortion. And you may be right as the middle of the road moderates want to keep some of there hard earned income. The rich already do not pay nuch in taxes as a percent of income.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 6 months ago

Look how well California is doing after raising taxes (not).

Peacemaker452 3 years, 6 months ago

California has a net loss in interstate immigration. Population gains are from foreign immigration and births.

Leslie Swearingen 3 years, 6 months ago

I tried saying that I am not from around here and then I get asked where am I from and I say the Peoples Republic of Congo and they arch their eyebrows and look all funny and I say very loudly well you are a bigot you have a stereotype in your mind as to what someone from the Peoples Republic of Congo would look like so now I tell people I am from the Siberian steppes and that works.

George Lippencott 3 years, 6 months ago

How about the People's Republic of California??

lucky_guy 3 years, 6 months ago

Sorry my bad, I meant Harper county not Harvey.

Charles L Bloss Jr 3 years, 6 months ago

I was raised in TX. I would be there now, except all of my wife's numerous relatives live in KS. So it is a choice, divorce my wife of 25 years, who I really love. Or stay here. She went to east TX with me, and said it was nice. She initially said she would move there. When we got back home in KS, where everything is taxed, she relented. TX is better to me than KS for the following reasons. Once you reach 65 your real estate taxes are frozen. There is no sales tax on groceries. There is no huge tax to renew your tags on your car. I believe it runs somewhere around $ 30, which includes an inspection fee. Many of the vehicles driving around in KS, once inspected in TX could not use the roads until the problems were repaired. I expect the real estate taxes are higher in TX, due to all of the other taxes being lower or non-existent. But for me they would be frozen. I grew up in Dallas, but my Dad retired to east TX. I love it in east TX, I wish I was back there. The native pines are beautiful and do not suffer from the pine killing diseases and insects we have here. The roads are wonderful, a farm to market road is better than I-70 is here. They do not have the freeze thaw cycle experienced in KS. TX people are friendly, and great. I made two trips down there alone, before the last trip with my wife and dog. People went out of their way to answer questions, help me find things, etc. Maybe that is why Sam likes it, too.