High School Sports

High School Sports

Punishment puzzles brothers

May 15, 2012

Lawrence High senior Logan Henrichs sounded Monday as if he’ll never understand why he was suspended from school for giving his brother Connor a horizontal-mohawk haircut in a private home, a disciplinary action that prevented him from playing the final two legs of the Sunflower League championship.

Many have had a difficult time understanding why Henrichs and others were suspended.

“I don’t understand, either,” Logan said. “We’ve had countless conversations with everybody, so I don’t know.”

This much Logan Henrichs had no trouble understanding about his kid brother Monday: “I’m very proud of him, and I’m proud of the team.”

Connor, a sophomore, shot an 80, and Logan, a senior, an 81 at Eagle Bend in the regional, joining teammates Brett Van Blaricum and Narito Mendez (both shot 84) in qualifying for the state tournament in Garden City.

Connor Henrichs is developing a reputation for being one of those athletes whose performance keeps pace with the enormity of the event. He scored the lone goal in a soccer game against Lawrence High in the fall and saved one of his best rounds of golf for the regional.

“I know the course pretty well, so that made me confident,” Connor said.

Logan, the Lions’ No. 1 player, has had steadier days than Monday. He carded just two pars, none on a back side that included three birdies, four bogeys and two double-bogeys.

Logan wouldn’t accept an excuse offered him. Could it be, he was asked, the suspension rattled him?

“I got out and played a good amount,” he said. “I played nine on Saturday and 18 on Sunday. There was just something about my drives today, and I couldn’t really figure it out.”

Hazing — defined by the school district as an act that “recklessly or intentionally endangers the mental health, physical health or safety of a student” — was the official explanation for the suspension that lasted three days out of school and one day in school.

Connor didn’t look as if he his mental or physical health or his safety had been endangered. He looked like a teenager with a new haircut — the horizontal mohawk gave way to an even buzz cut — happy to have played such a fine round of golf on such a big stage. As for the hazing ruling leveled on his brother, he didn’t understand it either.

“Freshman year for soccer I had a mohawk,” Connor said. “Someone else shaved my head that year. Not my brother. Nobody got suspended.”

Comments

Jayhawk1958 2 years, 7 months ago

Let what go? This is totally ridiculous and unfair to the kid. And there is a constitutional violation here.

Synjyn Smythe 2 years, 7 months ago

School has no business meddling in family-approved matters that in no way endanger kids or disrupt the education of them and those they attend school with. This was blatant overreaching!

Clickker 2 years, 7 months ago

It was overreaching. But on the other hand, Logan and his buddies were warned numerous times not to shave heads. The Free State kids were suspended PRIOR to his decision, and everyone already knew those results. It is ok to 'protest' unjust laws, but you shouldnt act like you didnt know the punishment was going to happen, unjust or not.

JimmyJoeBob 2 years, 7 months ago

It seems they were almost tempting officials to suspend them. Not a good idea

paulveer 2 years, 7 months ago

The Florida A&M band member who was hazed to death had participated "voluntarily." Peer pressure can trump free will, and school officials are rightly aware of this. Making excuses and not recognizing this allows bullying and hazing to continue. Parental participation in such an event is aggravating, rather than mitigating, instilling the values of bullying in the next generation.

MarchHare 2 years, 7 months ago

"The administration, faculty, and staff of LHS reserve the right to enforce reasonable dress guidelines to ensure a safe and orderly educational environment"

You realize, of course, this includes all aspects of and/or related to the appearance of the children you send to school everyday. Aspects of appearance, dress, and/or personal hygenie that are deemed inappropriate or alternation too much of a distraction to the learning environment are subject to regulation and reasonably so.

What amazes me is that everyone fails to realize one of two things happened here: Either A) it was so thoroughly distracting that it did, in fact, disrupt the learning environment, and really... if you're graduating High School you should know better than to act like a total moron the week before your graduation. Or B) NOT all of the parents were so duly informed of their young sons' decision to allow their hair to be shaved into ridiculous patterns in an undisclosed "private residence". Its not so outrageous to think that maybe the parent in this "private residence" failed to actually receive verbal permission from all of the young mens' parents prior to "the shaving".

Of course, there is also the possibility that one of the students DID only go along with the whole thing based on the pressure of the situation and regretted the decision later (read: Buyer's remorse).

In any case, the parents involved are those deserving of a slap on the wrist and a "shame on you". Realistically, it's not as though the school is "out to get" these kids, there was a reason for the punishment, either motivated by parental, student, or teacher complaint.

Clickker 2 years, 7 months ago

I think you hit the nail on the head. At least one of these scenarios is the one that played out. There may also be a little peer pressure on the parents who may not have known to now say "yeah, I was ok with it", so they are not viewed in a negative light by the other participants.

Bud Stagg 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm sure Conner said "please shave my head." Don't pretend there was an invasion of privacy, the purpose of shaving his head was to haze or at least simulate hazing. What good did it really do? Did it really benefit Logan to do this to his little brother? What message did this send? "I'm a big bad senior and I can shave your head if I want too!"

This whole thing is just stupid. It was stupid to put the school administrators in the position that they did. Where does it stop? Look at the comment made, "I played as a sophmore with a shaved head." Sure enough, he does it to someone else. The next kid may take it a step further. Domestic abuse also follows this pattern.

bornon7 2 years, 7 months ago

Why did the LHS kids make the news? My father in KC called to say he watched it and so I tuned in. The FSHS boys, two of whom are coaches sons, didn't make the news. What gives? Clickker? You seem to have the inside scoop...

MISTERTibbs 2 years, 7 months ago

What gives is one set of parents chose to realize their sons decided to go against the warnings of their coach and administration and made the kids take the punishment handed out without making a big deal of it, while another set of parents felt their kids were above the punishment handed out (even though it was exactly the same as the first) and decided to make a stink.

Clickker 2 years, 7 months ago

Ha...No, I just know how things work in Lawrence. If you are "untouchable" type famous and something happens with your kid.....it never makes the papers.

hail2oldku 2 years, 7 months ago

Not in this case clickker. Coach simply let the kid know he would have to pay the consequences of his poor decision. Imagine that, making the kid take responsibility for his/her own actions. What a unique idea.

Too bad the crew at LHS didn't learn either lesson from the FS incident - 1 - the administration meant it when they provided the warnings this year 2 - the parents need to let the violators be held responsible for their own actions if they can't learn from the actions of others.

Vaildini 2 years, 7 months ago

they didn't whine. They just took there punishment and moved on. It didn't become news at LHS until the parents tried to come to the rescue.

Bob Reinsch 2 years, 7 months ago

Administration chooses coaches, and no coach is safe these days. If you want to supplement your already meager income with additional revenue from coaching, you're going to walk the line when it comes to the administration. I would be curious, however, as to how the administration might react if my child were to shave his head in support of a classmate that were undergoing chemotherapy or radiation treatment for cancer.

Take_a_letter_Maria 2 years, 7 months ago

Totally different circumstances.

In fact when the LHS football team decided to shave their heads it didn't raise any issues with the administration, at least partially because it included members of all grade levels not just a group of younger kids.

Constantine_Ochs 2 years, 7 months ago

As one of the kids who actually attends LHS, and was involved in said incident i can truthfully say that all kids came directly to us asking for "a unique haircut that will get us noticed". There are also many people around school with neon colored hair that cause a great distrubance to my learning environment, yet they are just labeled as "different"