Letters to the Editor

IQs need work

May 14, 2012

To the editor:

Thank you, President Obama, for saying that gays have the right to get married, but it is hard to believe that I live in a nation where their right to get married is in question. We have other issues that concern all of us and need to be addressed.

The primary issue in the state of Kansas is the intellectual level of our state legislators. I believe we need to pass a law that states that anyone who runs for office, including the governor, needs to take an intelligence test. And in this law anyone who scores less than a 75 on a standard test cannot run, and those currently serving in the governor’s office or the Legislature who score less than 75 must resign.

For those serving I realize this is good news and bad news. The bad news is they can no longer serve and get paid taxpayer money for passing stupid laws (such as allowing college students to carry concealed weapons on campus), but the good news is that most of those now serving will qualify for Social Security Disability because they are intellectually challenged.

Comments

Flap Doodle 2 years, 7 months ago

Ah, the eternal hubris of the sinister side. If someone thinks differently than you, they must be stupid.

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 7 months ago

Sinister? Really? LOL! What a joke. If I just HAD to choose which side is "sinister", I would say it were the Republicrats.

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 7 months ago

Let me explain it to you like a 5-y.o. Left and right are both sinister in their own precious way. Why don't you read my posts and learn some truth. You think the Right is working for you? You're sadly mistaken. They're just as sinister as the Left. Class dismissed.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 7 months ago

In Latin, dexter = right, sinister = left. Stay after class and do some extra work.

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 7 months ago

You speak using dead language? I certainly don't. Maybe that's the problem, eh? Try a again, Foolio.

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 7 months ago

I failed to thank you for teaching me something new. Thank you. Now, where were we?

jaywalker 2 years, 7 months ago

Perhaps the legislature hasn't made the wisest decisions, but it didn't take much more than a Gump-level brain to pen this LTE.

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 7 months ago

Next, we'll have IQ tests for LJ World commentators... This place could use a good cleansing.

jaywalker 2 years, 7 months ago

I say we roll the dice, I like our chances.

Fossick 2 years, 7 months ago

"IQ is just a number" Sort of like, "Size doesn't matter."

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 7 months ago

But it's not demeaning if it's the truth. The vast majority of our legislators are stupid rednecks.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 7 months ago

Those who expect professional behavior from mental health professions should feel inflamed.

labmonkey 2 years, 7 months ago

What's next LJWorld? LTE's calling the Kansas legislature "Stinky doo-doo heads?" I cannot believe you would actually put something like this in your print edition.

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 7 months ago

Gawd forbid the legislators read from someone who's disgruntled and has to audacity to speak their mind. Better to remain silent and give the illusion of approval.

labmonkey 2 years, 7 months ago

If you are going to show disapproval, at least try not to sound like a third-grader on the playground. This LTE writer makes himself look as stupid as he makes the legislators to be.

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 7 months ago

I don't recall what I put in my comment to get it removed. I believe I used the word defined as "to make slow; delay the development or progress of (an action, process, etc.); hinder or impede.; a person who is stupid, obtuse, or ineffective in some way: a hopeless social re74rd". Why so sensitive?

Flap Doodle 2 years, 7 months ago

You sound all inflamed today, larry. Get a popsicle and calm down. It's a cool and fruity treat on a spring day.

heygary 2 years, 7 months ago

A lecture on tolerance within a study on liberal intolerance … I thought LJW had a policy against printing this crap?

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 7 months ago

They print stories about Brownback and the posse too. All the crap is covered here.

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 7 months ago

They should require an IQ test and an ID before you can vote.

labmonkey 2 years, 7 months ago

I thought Civil Rights activists fought for decades to get rid of "literacy tests."

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 7 months ago

We need to fight back then. As you can see, idiots voting leads to idiots in office.

Fred Mertz 2 years, 7 months ago

It is sad that the LTE author didn't take the time to write a constructive letter criticizing the legislature instead of taking the low road

If the purpose of the letter was to be mean and intolerant then the LTE author succeeded. If it was to persuade then he failed.

What is funny is that those that he would like to see kicked out probably would pass his IQ test easily.

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 7 months ago

No more mentally deficient people in politics! Life is good.

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 7 months ago

Just say NO to dumb redneck politicians.

Seth Peterson 2 years, 7 months ago

I didn't think anyone could take this thread any lower than the LTE, yet you have once again proven to me that someone can always sink a little lower.

Liberty275 2 years, 7 months ago

Government: for the people, by the people, but only of the people that can pass E Kent Hayes's test.

Typically disgusting Lawrence LTTE.

JackMcKee 2 years, 7 months ago

The problem may be lack of ability, education or effort, but there's no denying the Kansas House is one of the most incompetent collection of indivuals in the history of representative government. Calling them stupid is probably an insult to stupid people.

Richard Payton 2 years, 7 months ago

Many of you bloggers keep writing about this LTE author well this IQ test suggest LTE stands for 1: Lawrence transgender expert or 2: Letter to editor.

MarcoPogo 2 years, 7 months ago

(Insert trombone sound representing the voices of adults on the "Peanuts" cartoons.)

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 7 months ago

I like the letter and think it is the result of frustration. National newspapers are now carrying articles titled, Kansas pases anti-Islamic law. However, there are people in Kansas and in Lawrence who are intelligent, can discuss politics and religion with the aim being to share information and get to know each other. There are warm, generous people who help because that is the way they were taught. I see well behaved children in the library and store. But, I am guessing those things are rather boring so we don't hear about them. Or maybe it is good that those experiences are so common in Lawrence that they are not seen as special and needing a comment. Nevertheless, I think the nice, tolerant folks in Lawrence whether they be conservative, liberal, no matter the income, race, etc. should get a shout out now and again.

yourworstnightmare 2 years, 7 months ago

The fact that the LJW prints a letter such as this just shows how low the standards are for such letters to be printed.

It seems as if any angry crank can get a letter printed in the LJW.

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 7 months ago

Ancient Rome also declined because of its ever growing parasite class, which is something in common all failed empires share.

MarcoPogo 2 years, 7 months ago

Just imagine if the LJW made any of us pass a test before we could post. Game over.

Fred Mertz 2 years, 7 months ago

I am quite sure I could pass any test required to post on here.

yourworstnightmare 2 years, 7 months ago

Every post one makes on this site is a test, and the grade is usually "fail".

It is too bad that the LTE standards are the same as the standards for posting after the LTE.

Being stupid is not illegal, not is it a barrier to a LJW LTE or posting, apparently.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 7 months ago

Thank you for putting the link to the article. I think it is terrible that this is not the first time nor will it be the last that Kansas makes national and international news in such a fashion.

yourworstnightmare 2 years, 7 months ago

Yes, apparently any crank with a nasty thing to say is nor stopped from getting an LTE published. It doesn't take intelligence or the ability to state a reasoned argument. Any idiot can get one, and they often do.

jonas_opines 2 years, 7 months ago

I can't quite tell. Was this LTE an attempt to be clever?

Fossick 2 years, 7 months ago

"it is hard to believe that I live in a nation where their right to get married is in question"

Whether the question is ultimately decided in favor of homogamy or not, there an be no question that it is currently the complaint du jour of a small number of Western trendzoids, rather than something that is as self-evident as they claim. If opposition to gay marriage - or just thinking it unthinkable - is evidence of (enter euphemism that will get this comment deleted here), then most of people in most places for most of history have been exactly that.

Given that the "right" has been "in question" in 99% of human societies for the last 50 centuries or so, it seems that the LTE writer is not embarrassed to be Kansan or American, but to be human.

rachelind 2 years, 7 months ago

Kurt Vonnegut would love this. Player Piano, anyone?