Archive for Monday, May 7, 2012

No arrest made after student walks into area high school with a stock of gun

May 7, 2012, 9:03 a.m. Updated May 7, 2012, 10:37 a.m.

West Franklin High School in Pomona was locked down Monday morning after a student walked into the building with the stock of a shotgun.

Franklin County sheriff’s officers were called to the school, which is about 10 miles west of Ottawa, about 8:10 a.m. after a parent saw the student enter the building, according to Monica Finch, a 911 dispatcher shift supervisor. Originally, officials thought the student was carrying a weapon.

Finch said the student was questioned. Officers determined the student planned to sand the wooden stock during class at the school, which formerly was called Pomona High School.

Comments

RoeDapple 2 years, 7 months ago

Hell, I bet half them country boys gots a rifle or shotgun standin' in their locker! Probably some parent that moved there to get away from the violence of the big city.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 7 months ago

Why? In case zombies attack the school? Sorry, but this seems really unlikely to me, or are you making a joke that I am not getting?

RoeDapple 2 years, 7 months ago

umm . . . yes. And no. A lot of country kids grow up shooting firearms. Most have been taught guns are a tool, like a pocket knife, a hammer, a can opener. A firearm only becomes a weapon when used as such. An incomprehensible concept for many.

Jeremiah Jefferson 2 years, 7 months ago

It is turkey season and maybe he was going turkey hunting after school. With that said, theres no reason to take a shotgun into the school.

50YearResident 2 years, 7 months ago

There are so many facts printed in this story, it's hard to seperate them.

This reply at 9:36 AM, May 7, 2012

cellogrl 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm sorry, there is NO good reason to bring a gun to school. That kid should've been arrested on the spot. I'm very disappointed with the law enforcement that they weren't. It's illegal to bring one in, not to mention EXTREMELY unsafe!

BorderRat 2 years, 7 months ago

Read the story. It was a Gun Stock, not a gun. Big difference. A stock, which is what he had, refers to the wooden portion without any of the mechanical parts or barrel that make it go bang.

cellogrl 2 years, 7 months ago

And YES, I DO know about guns, DO know how to shoot them, and DON'T have a problem with law enforcement at all. I care about keeping kids safe.

cellogrl 2 years, 7 months ago

How about you all read that the story was JUST updated. It did NOT say that before. It said that it was a shotgun. Didn't say the barrel. Don't make me out to be ignorant when you all can't read the updates on times of a story and the time of my comment.

thinkbeforeyousubmit 2 years, 7 months ago

POMONA — West Franklin High School was locked down briefly this morning after a report from a parent who saw what appeared to be a student bringing a shotgun into the school. The school was immediately locked down when the Franklin County 911 Dispatch Center received the report. Deputies and state troopers responded to the report as an “active shooter” situation, Franklin County Sheriff Jeff Curry said. Students were evacuated as officers checked the school. They found that a student had brought a rifle or shotgun stock to do some sanding and refinishing work on it in the high school shop, Curry said. Although officers interviewed the student, Curry said the student didn’t do anything illegal nor was he arrested. The matter will be left to the school to handle, Curry said. However, the situation was a good illustration of the training that officers and school authorities train for and everything worked perfectly, with the school being locked down quickly, with the dispatchers providing a good flow of information to officers and officers reacting quickly and effectively, he said.

Boston_Corbett 2 years, 7 months ago

Only in America.....land of 300 million existing firearms.

Does anyone wonder why the rest of the world looks at us and scratches their heads?

pace 2 years, 7 months ago

I say, people should feel free to express their opinion, of course the operative word is free. You seem to think there is one American thought and by some coincidence it is the one you hold. Nope. There are lots of different opinions and lord bless them, they should express them. If you don't like people expressing opinions other than the ones you hold, feel free to move.

skinny 2 years, 7 months ago

Boston-Corbett - Yes, because this is a free country! We have a right to keep and bear arms!! I aim on keeping that way too!!

Joe Hyde 2 years, 7 months ago

I wish shooting sports such as small bore target, trap, skeet, etc. were added to the long list of inter-scholastic sports engaged in by our state's high school kids. Doing this would give all kids with an interest in firearms an opportunity to use firearms safely and win trophies for their school's honor, while bringing honor to themselves as legitimate athletes.

ksjayhawk74 2 years, 7 months ago

Making a guns part of school athletics? That's one of most terrible ideas I've ever heard!!!

somedude20 2 years, 7 months ago

Boy, I hate to think what those insurance premiums would cost the tax payers to cover kids (18 and under are kids) to shoot and handle guns at school (tough sell as well as schools try to keep their campuses gun free). Kids should learn how to shoot since they are getting fatter and they may be called on to protect us at some point in time. If you can't run well, I hope you shoot well

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 7 months ago

What is that event they have in the winter Olympics where they ski and then lie down and shoot at a target, then repeat and the one who makes it though the course first with the best hits, wins? Don't see why they couldn't have that in high school, like they have gymnastics and swimming.

Joe Hyde 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm ignorant of the terrain over which the Olympic biathlon event is conducted, but somehow I doubt whether Kansas has anything approximating the Olympic biathlon course. I could be wrong.

Still, you take a hunting state like Kansas -- we could be providing the USA with serious Olympic medal challengers if our high school athletics association organized sanctioned competitive events specifically for the many young shooters and young gun enthusiasts we've always had, who we know are out there right now.

We're really screwing up by not doing this.

Charles L Bloss Jr 2 years, 7 months ago

This insane fear that schools have about gun parts, gunstocks, & plastic guns, is way over the edge. Let's show some common sense here. The number of kids hurt or killed in all of the school shootings could be greatly lessened if several teachers were trained to respond, and had concealed carry permits. The training would have to be far and above that required to just get a permit. Many schools have peace officers assigned to the school. What happens if the officer gets taken out? That is where the trained teachers or principal comes in. Think ahead and plan like it would happen to your school. Simply locking the doors is not enough, and may be a really dumb response. Think about it.

ksjayhawk74 2 years, 7 months ago

Arming teachers... Another terrible idea!!!

I'm sure most parents with common sense wouldn't like the idea of teachers carrying guns, just in case they need to shoot a student.

gccs14r 2 years, 7 months ago

Kid brings a piece of wood to school. Panic ensues.

Stuart Evans 2 years, 7 months ago

back in my day, having wood in school was a huge problem...

Jeremiah Jefferson 2 years, 7 months ago

I guess I should have read the story closer. Now that I know it was just the stock, I don't see what the big deal is. Perhaps he was modifying it in wood shop or maybe he was going to make a new custom wood stock. Can't fault a kid for that. Maybe he wants to be a gunsmith when he gets older. Its a good trade and a good gunsmith can make a decent amount of money.

RoeDapple 2 years, 7 months ago

That info wasn't in the original story cfth.

When I was in school kids were making miniature black powder cannons and firing them off in the track field. Only when one was made with a inch and a half bore did they finally say enough is enough. And nobody ever got hurt.

ksjayhawk74 2 years, 7 months ago

When I had shop class in Junior High (late 80s), I brought a gun stock to refinish. I remember another student brought a rifle without even bothering to take the stock off... and no one got in trouble!!! Of course is say that with exclamation marks because a kid with a gun should never be able to get into a school.

Plus I remember in High School, some students drove pickups with guns racks, that had guns on them...

Of course we are living in a different time now. If any student shows up with something that even looks like a gun, measures have to be taken. These matters have to be dealt with quickly and carefully. Very recently a kid showed up at school with a pellet gun pistol and when the cops showed up, they killed him. That was handled in the worst way possible.

None the less, any potential threat involving a gun at a school needs to be dealt with.

It sickens me to see some commenters saying that the answer is to arm teachers...So that a teacher can shoot a student if they need to!?!? Does any parent really want teachers to be able to make that kind of critical judgement? Is this kid really a threat? Am I shooting the right kid? These are not decisions I want a teacher to make?

FlintlockRifle 2 years, 7 months ago

Yep, must have been a city slicker that just moved to the "country"" who reported the country boy doing what they do in small country towns

thebigspoon 2 years, 7 months ago

You really don't need the stock on a shotgun to shoot it. I really doubt that was his motive...