Letters to the Editor

Democratic nuns?

May 5, 2012

To the editor:

As a Catholic who sometimes feels guilty about being a Democrat, my ears perked up when I heard Chris Mathews (MSNBC) ask the nun who was his guest, “Why are Catholic bishops usually Republicans, but nuns are often Democrats?” Her answer was that it probably was because nuns are often working with the poor on a daily basis and seeing their situation, lack of health care, etc. That was the same day that the Georgetown University faculty objected to Paul Ryan’s budget. I felt better that day.

Of course, I can always call my 82-year-old brother who is a Holy Cross priest still working in South America. He’ll always prop me up.

Comments

Mike Ford 1 year, 11 months ago

It is good that there are religious people who still believe in helping the underserved and don't buy into the promise me prosperity lord crowd as I witnessed in the south. I commend this writer and apologize for the debates with the off the subject people on this blog who show up all of the time out of the troll cave.

Mike Ford 1 year, 11 months ago

Mercy 1 year, 11 months ago

Catherine, I think it would be a good for you to continue to reflect on why your conscious sometimes bothers you regarding this matter. Our conscious is a gift from God to help us know right from wrong, good from evil. We must listen to our conscious. But, we are also responsible to properly form our conscious. As Catholics, we must look to Christ himself through his visible expression here on earth, the Church, for this formation. Our Pope and Bishops are our shepherds and teachers who have been given the authority from Christ Himself to hold and protect the Faith and the Truth. He did not give this authority to anyone else. So, we must look to our Pope and Bishops for the guidance to know how to authentically understand our Faith and how to love God and our neighbor. When we listen to those that our leading us away from this authoritative teaching, we are drifting away from Christ who is the Way and the Truth.

Mike Ford 1 year, 11 months ago

again wikipedia is for trolling conservatives.....I've actually been a guest lecturer in a college setting a couple of times....wikipedia is not used there......narrative history and information gleaned from my vast book collection is......you cling to calling me names because someone is guilty as charged and blames the one fingering them......priceless....

Stain 1 year, 11 months ago

Beautiful letter that rings with truth. Thank you.

Mike Ford 1 year, 11 months ago

you know being a troll and always twisting comments doesn't really accomplish much does it......you're still in the denial bubble like all of those other conservatives I enjoy being clowned on Bill Maher....never admitting the obvious and sounding like you only see the Alex Keaton view things in Reagan America.....pathetic.....

Mike Ford 1 year, 11 months ago

Maine.....aboriginal land of Abenaki, Passamaquoddy, and Penobscot people amongst others.....acquired illegally in violation of Indian Non-Intercourse Act of 1790 without act of US Congress in the early 1790's.....tribes re-acquire 300,000 acres after Maine Land Claim Settlement act of 1980. New Hampshire....home of Sokoki Abnaki and Mattebessec people... descendants still there while the rest are at Odanak in Quebec. Vermont....Abnaki and Mahican peoples still in area ran off lands by settlers. Connecticut....Mohegan, Niantic, Nauset, Paugusset, Schagticoke, Pemiquid, and Pequot peoples...descendants of these people all still there with the Pequots and Mohegans BIA recognized... Pequots sued US for violation of Intercourse Act of 1790.... Reagan administration settled in 1983 and tribe has land and Foxwoods Casino three centuries after extinction almost happened....... Massachusetts....Wampanoag, Massachusetts, Nipmuc, and Mahican people there.....still there.....land stolen by pilgrims initiating the King Philips War of 1676-79.... Rhode Island......Narragansett people sued Rhode Island for violation of Intercourse Law of 1790.... awarded 1800 acres of land in 1978 settlement act with RI and US Government.....I can go fifty states one by one for your obstinent denial......eighteen years of study being denied by a troll in a basement.... nice.....written from memory....not wikipedia which lazy conservatives use......

Mike Ford 1 year, 11 months ago

let's here it for no need for wikipedia.....I've studied it since 1994 and know it from memory and have repeated said cases on here pertaining to SLT and other issues where theft is swept under the radar since 1998. where you here in 1998 or are you just another johnny come lately? you remind me of the criollio gop strategist on bill maher last night who looked clueless as colin powell's former chief of staff curtis wilkerson and ed schultz spoke of so much history that most twenty or thirty something gop neocons or tealicans heads would be spinning since all they're used to doing is repeating koch thinktank nonsense or fox nonsense. they're like the kids in whom I sit by at said private college in eastern kansas doing papers using wikipedia as source material in the computer lab paying $25k a year in tuition to use wikipedia as source material.....priceless. walter mitty actually applies to michelle bachmann, hermann cain, tim pawlenty, and all the other make up malarkey as they go republicans. I don't need wikipedia when I have over 400 books 10 feet from me in my home. I leave wikipedia to conservative amatuers..... you right????

its_just_math 1 year, 11 months ago

Let's hear it for incomplete and run-on sentences, proper capitalization proper punctuation and general coherent sentences. Let's hear it for Mittyesqueness and wikipedia.

Mike Ford 1 year, 11 months ago

actually, I grew up in the godlican dimwit south in the 1970's and saw the rise of the exalted religious stupidity that has done the body snatchers act on the GOP especially in Louisiana and Mississippi. I laugh out loud when bigots call me a bigot. Charity has always been a cornerstone of religion. When the Mennonites worked on the Mississippi Gulf Coast around my relatives destroyed neighborhood in Pascagoula, MS, after Katrina that was a sign of charity. The Mennonites have worked amongst the Houma Tribe in Louisiana for probably three quarters of a century without really worrying about conversion. My own parents worked In Pascagoula and Pensacola after Hurricanes Frederic and Ivan. My father worked as John Wesley did when he did ministry so it is you rgtwinger who knows nothing because you advocate the code language using godlican fascist ideology that gives religion a bad name going back to the puritans. Furthermore mathtroll.......Elizabeth Warren put your duck the issues nonsense aside anyway about blood quantum. blood quantum was used by thieving white people to commit paper genocide upon tribes starting in the Commonwealth of Virginia with the Gingaskin and Nottaway tribes to grab land in the early 19th century. Leave it to white people to find new ways to steal lands all of the time. Walking Purchase....Penn Quaker Family.....Delaware tribes and others affected....1737......Kansas Nebraska Act 1854.....13 tribes affected....all of eastern Kansas and Nebraska stolen.... Dawes act 1887.......90 million acres of land stolen until the Indian Reorganization Act of 1934 reversed pattern on theft through tribal allotment.....Lone Wolf V. Hitchcock Case of 1903 where millions of acres of Kiowa land stolen through forgery and sanctified by SCOTUS.....no bitterness....no getting over it..... loving reminding denying church going conservatives of their lovely history.....priceless......

tange 1 year, 11 months ago

Republicans and Democrats red and blue Bloods and Crips parody lost on them, too

rtwngr 1 year, 11 months ago

Catherine, had it occurred to you to ask yourself where Chris "thrill up my leg" Matthews got his statistics about priests being Republican and nuns being Democrat? Until recently I would have bet any amount of money that most of the religious in our church were Democrats. The problem is Democrats have pushed secularism and abortion to the nth degree. The recent HHS mandate was the straw that broke the camel's back. When you tell a religious institution that they can be fee to worship but not exercise their beliefs in the public arena, you have pushed the envelope to far.

As far as your brother being a Holy Cross priest, that's great for him but what does that do for you in the eyes of God. When you vote Democrat, you support abortion, euthanasia, same sex marriage, and embryonic stem cell. These are topics that our church says are non negotiable. Pope John Paul II instructed the faithful in his Evangelium Vitae of 1995 that without first the protection of life at conception, all of the other "rights" are "illusory". You should read this encyclical in the framework of today's political climate.

Mike Ford 1 year, 11 months ago

as the son of a 37 year retired minister who preached in Missouri, Ohio, Louisiana, and Kansas I can say firsthand that the rightwing godlican puritan wannabes have lost touch with the helping side of the church. The hailfire and brimstone judge one by their race and income people who don't think and simply follow are what's wrong with religion. people who use religion to judge other races and religions simply have no concept of history and a bad inferiority complex. then again....they're americans....no intelligence necessary....just repeat george will and buckley....

its_just_math 1 year, 11 months ago

It's funny that far-left-winger athiests that support Obama even fall for it whenever The Anointed One invokes bible passages to support his wealth distribution scheme. How does that work anyway? That DRD4 gene continues to mystify and amaze. I wish just for one day, I could have my dopamine receptors turned on by DRD4 just to see what it's like.

its_just_math 1 year, 11 months ago

Armstrong 1 year, 11 months ago

Chirs Mathews??? Lol. As good a source as Rothschild - if that

Satirical 1 year, 11 months ago

Finally Liberty_One gets it!

I am just glad this LTE writer didn't stoop to the typical liberal tactic of avoiding reason by appealing to the emotional argument that the truly compassionate are liberals; and that not advocating for unlimited government aid to the poor means one hates poor people and support only the rich, like Mitt Romney.

Liberty_One, I am glad to see you have opened up your heart and stopped thinking with your brain! Non-liberals hate the poor! Why would anyone even listen to what hate filled people have to say, let alone try to understand it?

Liberty_One 1 year, 11 months ago

Yes, of course. Stealing from some to give to others is the right thing to do. It's all so clear now. Anyone who doesn't advocate theft is a heartless person.