Letters to the Editor

Death with dignity

May 1, 2012

To the editor:

This may be the next needed and, one day in Kansas, protected human right: the right to die with dignity, for those requesting it, physician-assisted dying, an earnest choice between a patient and her/his physician in the privacy of their shared conversations.

The anguish of imposing on one’s loved ones that prolonged period of enduring the suffering and irreversible deterioration of one so well-loved, when it’s against her/his wishes should be finally eliminated, not to mention the costs to the family of those last excruciating months. Shouldn’t such compassion be among the personal choices afforded the person who is dying? It’s her life, isn’t it? Let it end with her personal wishes for a death with dignity and compassion.

Comments

Katara 1 year, 11 months ago

"Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome." -Isaac Asimov

citizen1 1 year, 11 months ago

I do not want the government involved with my end of life decisions. I believe this involvement would evolve to "elderfanticide" just like we have legalized "on demand" abortion. I do not want some bureaucrat making decisions at the end of my life.

This is currently handled with "Living Wills & Powers of Attorney".

We have government deciding if I will be born, if we get past that hurdle, they tax me & regulate me. Please just let me die on my own terms.

Thank you.

Enlightenment 1 year, 11 months ago

But death in senseless wars is considered noble.

KSense 1 year, 11 months ago

What part of "Thou shall not kill" is not incontrovertible?

parrothead8 1 year, 11 months ago

"Once you have doctors killing people, is it a really big step to have doctors killing people at the orders of the government?"

If the government wants you dead, they're not going to have a doctor do it.

bendover61 1 year, 11 months ago

Will "doctors" be forced to kill people? Many in the medical community are forced to provide drugs they are opposed to. Will the "service" be covered by insurance? Will Obama care cover this? Once you have doctors killing people, is it a really big step to have doctors killing people at the orders of the government?

number3of5 1 year, 11 months ago

I hear this comment loud and clear. I live in pain every day and night of my life. I am 67 years old and plan to live a lot longer. I promised my granddaughters 120 years. I also have a dog who lives in pain. He won't take medicine. When I think about putting him to sleep because of the pain, I also think that I would not want someone to think of ending my life because of my pain. A person who wishes to die can simply will themselves to die. They can stop eating and with pain meds from their doctor, can die with dignity.....

Eybea Opiner 1 year, 11 months ago

"It has always amazed me that we will let our mothers and fathers, etc. go through hell that we wouldn't let our pets experience."

I don't know how you intended this sentence to be taken, but I don't think anyone is advocating that we make the end of life decision for our parents (or anyone else) the same as we would for our pets.

I believe that any of us should have the right to decide to die rather than endure pain and suffering to an inevitable conclusion. Likewise, we should also be free to choose to try to live until the last breath.

SnakeFist 1 year, 11 months ago

There is nothing dignified about death, the only dignity is in living well. No rational being chooses death. By definition, a desire to die is irrational and not only need not be respected but, for the good of the person, ought not be respected. Life isn't always pleasant, but its all we've got. Death is the ultimate evil - it strips us completely and permanently of our personhood. Embracing nothingness to avoid fear or pain is not the answer.

bozo_the_clown 1 year, 11 months ago

I'm afraid God and the self-righteous would disagree.