Archive for Saturday, March 31, 2012

FINAL: KU pushes past Ohio State, 64-62, to advance to championship game

March 31, 2012

— The Kansas men's basketball team overcame a 13-point first-half deficit, rallying to beat Ohio State, 64-62, in the national semifinals on Saturday night at the Superdome in New Orleans.

KU fell behind, 34-25, at halftime before starting the second half on a 13-4 run to tie the game at 38.

The Jayhawks took its first lead in the second half on a pair of free throws by Releford to make it 56-55 with 2:48 left.

Ohio State answered with four straight points, but KU responded to take a 60-59 lead with 1:37 left on two more free throws from Releford.

A William Buford stickback dunk trimmed KU's lead to 62-61 with 9.6 seconds left.

Tyshawn Taylor followed with two free throws with eight seconds left. Ohio State's Aaron Craft made one free throw with two seconds left before committing a lane violation.

KU inbounded the ball and wasted the rest of the time to advance.

Thomas Robinson had 19 points, while Travis Releford added 15 and Elijah Johnson had 13.

Jeff Withey had seven blocks, which set a new Big 12 record of 135 in a season.

KU (32-6) will play Kentucky at 8:23 p.m. in the national championship game on Monday.

See Jesse Newell's blog on KUsports.com for post-game stats and analysis.

Comments

Dan Eyler 2 years, 8 months ago

Bill Self is an amazing coach, who put together another amazing team of great guys. Way to go Hawks.

Rick Aldrich 2 years, 8 months ago

Rock Chalk Jayhawks!!!!!!! Kentucky......can you come out and plaaaaay

hesshawk 2 years, 8 months ago

two things I'm wondering about for Monday: Can we avoid slippin on calipari's hair grease? can withey knock the unibrow off davis ??

Rock chalk

SeaBee 2 years, 8 months ago

And we were even "supposed" to win the the Big 12 this year.

Who'd a thunk it?

captainzeep 2 years, 8 months ago

Amazing!!! You stay classy Lawrence Kansas.

FlintHawk 2 years, 8 months ago

'Scuse me for yelling, but:

ROCK CHALK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hotd**n!! Nobody predicted this!!!!!!! I can't believe I'm alive after the last 4 minutes.

Kari Wempe 2 years, 8 months ago

Well Jack Harry.... What do you have to say now? Congratulations Coach Self and Jayhawks!! Well done. But we are not done yet.....

SeaBee 2 years, 8 months ago

Correction: we "were not" projected to win the conference.

Wish we could edit posts to correct typogrsphical erors on this site.

parrothead8 2 years, 8 months ago

Well, you DO get two chances to read it before actually posting it. But whatever.

ROCK CHALK!

burnmu 2 years, 8 months ago

RCJK KU!!! I feel that we can win this time around against kentucky & leave another team that was suppose to beat us stunned and wondering how. I wouldn't be surprised if kentucky is already looking ahead to cutting down the nets, their parade, meeting with the President and not even really thinking about Kansas. Love you guys, keep it up and continue to grind it out. It only takes 1 to win it. Really proud of what you all have accomplished so far, it's been a great season so far

jjinks 2 years, 8 months ago

Boys? I think those were men playing out there

tententen 2 years, 8 months ago

You look at last years' "One Shinning Moment" and the closest thing you see to Crimson and Blue was at the 1:08 mark in the form of dejected Jayhawk faithful providing a back drop for the celebrating VCU players............ I can't remember a time when you couldn't watch that final tribute to the season and catch one final glimpse of a jayhawk in celebration or frustration.

This year will be a little different, won't it! AMAZING!!

Oh.......remember this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwB3aU...

Rick Aldrich 2 years, 8 months ago

All the hype and attention by the media was on the kentucky game and almost none on the KU game.

Rae Hudspeth 2 years, 8 months ago

Ohio State was an amazing surprise team.. let's see the boys kill ky. I loved putting KY vKU on my bracket.

riverdrifter 2 years, 8 months ago

Calipari assistant: "Great win for us, coach, but bad news." "Oh yeah, what's that?" "You're up against Bill Self."

"Oh...."

Scott Tichenor 2 years, 8 months ago

I'm waving my hand at Clark Kellog and his sickening biased color commentary. Clark, one of those fingers is for you.

Guess which one?

Gregory Newman 2 years, 8 months ago

I told you guys its the dribble drive by EJ and Releford that wins it. They have to do more of that. It frees up TT and opens up for lob city to T-Rob and Withey. Kentucky guards can't hold them if they take off and go they are too fast. Shoot those mid-range jumpers 7-14 feet they beat Kentucky by 10.

jjinks 2 years, 8 months ago

This is why I don't bet. "ROCK CHALK JAYHAWKS". Thank you for a great season. One more to go.

jaywalker 2 years, 8 months ago

I say Rock Chalk you say Jayhawk....

Rock Chalk!!!!!!!

naturalist 2 years, 8 months ago

No words can say how much I love this team. Awesome win guys! Thanks coach!

bigdchi 2 years, 8 months ago

I attended KU and graduated from OSU. I am loyal to both coaches. I am not a fan of Self or matta. They are very similar coaches. They are great recruiters, bad game managers and never seem to win the big game. One of these guys had to win and it was Self. Now go out and beat the Outlaw kentucky team. This place will soon be caught in a recruiting scandal.The Kentucky program is everything wrong with big time college sports. It has replaced Miami of the 80's and 90's as the slimiest school!! Go Hawks!!

jshepard 2 years, 8 months ago

And you have some proof to back up your outrageous statement?

jshepard 2 years, 8 months ago

Coach Cal has enough grease for any and ALL Jay Hawks to slip on or slip up. Cats by at least 13 or more over the greatly out manned Kansas team. Too bad 3rd rate team...good luck next year when we have a newer and eve better team! Go CATS!