Archive for Thursday, March 29, 2012

Heard on the Hill: Students say they may ignore chancellor’s decision to hold class if KU wins title; Allen Fieldhouse to host Final Four party; Alumni Association releases team hotel, party sites

March 29, 2012

Subscribe to the Heard on the Hill email edition

Subscribe to the email edition of Heard on the Hill and we'll deliver you the latest KU news and notes every weekday at noon.

Your daily dose of news, notes and links from around Kansas University.

• KU Chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little set off quite the firestorm on Twitter for a while Wednesday when she announced that KU wouldn’t cancel classes if the team won the national championship.

(Thanks, too, to the loyal Heard on the Hill tipsters who fired off that message to me soon after getting it).

I know of professors who intentionally avoid scheduling exams on the day after the championship game, but I’m sure such classes exist.

And those professors probably appreciate knowing that class will be on, no matter what.

The University Daily Kansan talked to a couple of students, and though they seemed to disagree on whether class should be canceled, they did agree that many students would likely self-cancel classes.

One thing I was trying to clear up, and perhaps the Heard on the Hill faithful can help me with this one: A few commenters pointed out that former KU Chancellor Robert Hemenway played this same game in 2008, where he said KU would have class, but then canceled at the last minute anyway.

I can’t seem to verify this. Media accounts from the time said that Hemenway had been mum on whether he’d cancel class all the way up until at least the Friday before, and I didn’t see anything to the contrary in Monday’s reports. (And, being a member of the media, I’m pretty sure a chancellor’s decision not to cancel class would be something that would get reported). Official word that class would be canceled didn't come until after KU won the title.

But maybe I missed something. Does anyone have very specific memories of that either way?

• One part of Gray-Little’s message did kind of get lost in the thunder (I’m not sure people read past “we are confident those celebrations can take place without disrupting KU's academic mission”).

But another part of her message pointed out that Allen Fieldhouse would be open at 6 p.m. on Saturday night for a KU-Ohio State watch party.

Admission is free.

• In fact, while I’m at it, here’s a post from the KU Alumni Association that answers a lot of questions I’ve been getting about watch parties, New Orleans rally events the team hotel and more.

It also has a link to watch sites for the Final Four at places across the country.

We’ll get back to non-basketball items soon here at Heard on the Hill World Headquarters at Seventh and New Hampshire, I promise. Maybe next week … .

• If you have a tip for Heard on the Hill, even if it’s not about basketball, feel free to send it my way at ahyland@ljworld.com.

Comments

kernal 3 years, 4 months ago

Yesterday's headline to this story says Chancellor Gray-Little said not to "expect" classes to be cancelled. Seems to me that means her decision could go either way, unless "expect" was not what she actually said.

Aileen Dingus 3 years, 4 months ago

In her email to faculty, staff and students, she said "Many of you have asked what the plans for Tuesday classes would be should the Jayhawks win the national championship on Monday night. Tuesday classes will be held as scheduled."

guppypunkhead 3 years, 4 months ago

kernal, there was no "expect". The direct line from the email is "Tuesday classes will be held as scheduled."

jhawkinsf 3 years, 4 months ago

Expect less than normal attendance and many of those who do make it will have bloodshot eyes and sore throats from having yelled so much. But it will be well worth it.

Chintzy 3 years, 4 months ago

Why this is all so sad is that the Chancellor seems oblivious to the fact that a major athletic victory, such as winning the NCAA, is an event worth celebrating and actually adds to, rather than subtracts from, its academic mission. It is part of the culture, and an important reason why students attend KU. It takes nothing away from KU's academic stature to occasionally take time to celebrate great things. In 1998 the Governor attended the rally in Memorial Stadium the day after KU won -- signifying that as a state we could all share in the victory. I think the Chancellor continues to get poor advice in matters that relate to KU traditions. Students -- take the day off; you may never get another chance. And Chancellor, please try to enjoy being at the helm of a storied, complex, and yes, fun institution. No one will think less of you.

Boston_Corbett 3 years, 4 months ago

I'm thinking a lot of people are looking waaaaaaay too far ahead and worrying about things not needed to be worried about.

There is a little thing of a couple of games to be played before the party bell sounds. .

jhawkrx10 3 years, 4 months ago

I was a student at KU in 2008 when we won the title and was celebrating on Mass St. No official decision was announced to cancel class until Tuesday morning so I had to cut short my celebrating. I did this because I was a lab TA with a 7:00AM Tuesday morning lab section and was not looking forward to teaching that morning, I woke up early, checked the KU homepage, saw classes had been cancelled and went back to bed for a few more hours.

webmocker 3 years, 4 months ago

Wow, haven't even made the finals and people are in a tizzy over what happens after a celebration that is far from certain. The superstitious might think this could jinx things.

kcowsert4 3 years, 4 months ago

In my opinion, it is very pointless to hold class on Tuesday if KU wins the national championship. Even if class isn't cancelled, hardly any students will actually show up so there will be no point to go on with class with less than half the class present. On the other hand, I think the Chancellor will wait until the last minute, just like in 2008, to cancel classes.