Archive for Monday, March 26, 2012

Heard on the Hill: NCAA success means success for Self’s pocketbook, too; KU debaters support basketball while experiencing their own tournament success; two politicos to be in Lawrence on same day

March 26, 2012

Subscribe to the Heard on the Hill email edition

Subscribe to the email edition of Heard on the Hill and we'll deliver you the latest KU news and notes every weekday at noon.

Your daily dose of news, notes and links from around Kansas University.

• Fresh off a trip to St. Louis to take in some quite exciting Jayhawk basketball, I’m back at Heard on the Hill World Headquarters at Seventh and New Hampshire today, where I understand there was quite a celebration around these parts as well.

KU’s basketball coach, Bill Self, is plenty excited these days as well. I’m sure that’s mostly related to the team’s surprising success, but his pocketbook isn’t looking too shabby, either.

Self’s contract, which guarantees him $3 million per year, is structured so that he earns some bonuses based on his and the team’s performance.

He already has a few such bonuses in the bag this year — the Big 12 regular season conference title earned him $50,000. And when his team went on a 12-0 run to send North Carolina packing on Sunday, that Final Four berth earned Self another $100,000.

A few other bonuses might be in reach, too. I think Self has a good shot at winning The Associated Press’ Coach of the Year award (if articles like this are to be believed, anyway). He won it once before, in 2009. It hasn’t been announced this year yet, but if he wins, that would mean another $50,000 bonus.

And if this remarkable team can win two more games and take home the national title, that’s another $200,000 bonus for Self.

And you know those are checks that Kansas Athletics (which pays Self’s salary and bonuses using private funds) won’t mind cutting one bit.

• Also getting into the March mood a bit is the KU Debate squad, which had a team in the quarterfinals of the Cross Examination Debate Association’s national tournament, as I followed them on Kansas Debate’s Facebook page.

The duo, brothers Sean and Patrick Kennedy, had just defeated UMKC to advance to the quarterfinals of the prestigious tournament.

I also enjoyed the posts showing photos of the various team members participating in the tournament, many of whom were sporting KU basketball jerseys throughout the weekend.

• If you’re into politics, you can choose your own event next week, as both former UN Ambassador John Bolton and former Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell will be giving speeches at the same time on April 4.

The way I figure it, if you’re a Republican, you might want to go see Bolton, who’s talking at 7 p.m. at the Lied Center. He served under President George W. Bush.

And if you’re a Democrat, you might want to hear what Mitchell has to say. The Democratic former Senate Majority Leader from Maine is speaking at 7:30 at the Dole Institute.

Or maybe you might want to cross the aisle and see what the other folks are thinking these days. People who don’t affiliate with either party might have to do something crazy like flip a coin or something to determine where they want to go.

Strange, though, that they’ll both be here at the same time.

• I am not speaking anywhere on April 4 (at least not yet), but you should still send me some tips for Heard on the Hill to ahyland@ljworld.com.

Comments

blindrabbit 3 years, 1 month ago

Boy talk about the ends of the political spectrum! Bolton a liar, creator of the Weapons of Mass Destruction fiasco; a neocon wanting a war (any war) that will satisfy his blood thirst, and a pee poor U.N. representative! Also, in need of a good haircut!

Mitchell, on the other had has always been a levelheaded compromiser, much like Dole! Worked with both parties, and recently with Sen. Alan Simpson of Wyoming on the financial, government spending crisis.

Bob Harvey 3 years, 1 month ago

My, my I wonder what side of the aisle you may reside.

WilburM 3 years, 1 month ago

Blindrabbit is clearly on the reasonable side, compared to Bolton's hard-headed, wrong headed, and downright dangerous "side" of righteous certainty about everything.

Horace 3 years, 1 month ago

What kind of bonus do the kids get?

Oh, that's right. The National Communists Against Athletes don't allow the people who actually win the games to enjoy the benefits.

Jan Rolls 3 years, 1 month ago

And the kids don't get one stinking nickel and get suspended trying to eat. What is the No Class At All waiting for on helping kids?

CHEEZIT 3 years, 1 month ago

I am pretty sure Division 1 atheletes can get food anytime, anyplace. Are we naive enough to think thats what the K-State player needed $200 for? Just saying!

CHEEZIT 3 years, 1 month ago

Scott Morgan 3 years, 1 month ago

3 major meals a day plus snacks, all events catered as well stuff laying around all over the place. Most teams travel with staff just to watch how meals are prepared on the road.

So a KU athlete for instance has pocketed at least a couple of hundred bucks for this tourney already.

Each athlete is giving 30 bucks per day for incidentals. In some cases student athletes keep the Pell grant money as well, which could be thousands per semester.

Enoughsaid 3 years, 1 month ago

Since Coach Bill is making all this money, maybe he won't mind paying back the local taxpayers all the money he and KU Athletics cheated by using illegal dealer tags on their Wheelclub vehicles.

If you or I would drive a new vehicle and for over a course of two decades not register the vehciles (not pay the required property taxes) the local treasurer's office would be after you with a severe penalty.

I guess if you make big money you can afford to look the other way and when you get caught, say I didn't know I couldn't do that. It must work because that what the general manager (51%owner) of Laird Noller told the Journal-World when he was interviewed why his dealership was supplying vehicles to KU Athletics with dealer tags.

It makes one wonder how corrupt KU Athletics is and do they ever give any money back to the community or is it just me me, more favors, more money for our already over-paid staff.

CHEEZIT 3 years, 1 month ago

He probably gets an incentive for his kids graduating too! Darn those contracts!

blindrabbit 3 years, 1 month ago

Enoughsaid: Bah humbug! Lighten up and enjoy the ride. or maybe Columbia, Missouri is more to your liking! By-the-way, Santa did not file a flight plan last Christmas in addition to not paying flyover fees for passing over you house! What is the world coming to. Maybe KU did make an oversight about vehicle registration, I'm sure It will be resolved somehow. Anyway, I wonder how much money is brought into the City/County coffers by having a successful sports program to offset these losses you decry.