Letters to the Editor

Costs whom?

March 19, 2012

To the editor:

I read with interest a news item from the AP Wednesday regarding a Kansas bill to eliminate sales tax on food. The story reported that it would “cost the government” $250 million a year. Is the reporter ignorant or just biased? How can it “cost” the government? To say so presumes that it is the government’s money to begin with! Eliminating this tax allows Kansas families to keep more of their own money. Only the liberal ideology assumes that when people get to keep what’s theirs, it “costs” the government. Since women are the primary shoppers in the family, blocking this bill is a direct assault on women. Some might say it appears that someone is “waging war on women.”

Comments

its_just_math 2 years, 8 months ago

Good points, Jon. The thing is, if they don't get $250 million from groceries, they'll get it somewhere else. Kansans are already some of the most heavily taxed people in the nation. I recently purchased a new Nissan Titan and was offered almost $10k in rebates (and the reason I went ahead and took the plunge---on a 2011 leftover I bought on January 3) and guess what? I had to pay sales and personal property tax on the rebated amount. I never paid the money to Nissan---- Nissan "excused" the amount on the sale, but Kansas said, "Ummm, not so fast---pay up on that $10K". Our property tax on our house and ten acres has slightly more than doubled in a little less than ten years. Oh yeah, Kansas will get it from you one way or another----you can take that to the bank, er, well you get what I mean.

LJ Whirled 2 years, 8 months ago

<< if they don't get $250 million from groceries, they'll get it somewhere else. >>>

How 'bout they stop spending? That wouldn't "cost" them anything.

Freedom requires economic liberty --- that is, the right to work for resources which are saved or used by the individual, as she might choose, and not surrendered to the Government for them to decide for her.

Every tax diminishes your personal freedom.

KSManimal 2 years, 8 months ago

Here's an idea, Big B,....name one thing you did today that did not depend in any way on some tax-funded component of civilization. Just one.

Peacemaker452 2 years, 8 months ago

KSManimal, Government, civilization and society are not the same thing. So I am guessing your real question is based on tax funded government actions, not civilization.

So, can you name one of your “tax-funded components” that could not be accomplished without government coercion?

Peacemaker452 2 years, 8 months ago

The question was not asking about what the government has co-opted, that list would take up all of LJW's server space. Instead, which of these could not exist without government coercion?

cato_the_elder 2 years, 8 months ago

Hard to believe in Lawrence - two for two today on logical, soundly-reasoned LTEs, both of which are spot-on.

Excellent letter, Mr. Jambor. Your discussion exposes one of the two greatest frauds routinely perpetrated by tax-and-spend liberals, the other being the political ploy of telling the public that increasing government spending on a particular item but increasing it less than advocated by proponents of even greater spending is a "cut" in spending on that item, rather than the increase that it is. Liberal Democrats have regularly practiced each of these frauds for decades. It's what they do.

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 8 months ago

But Kansas is a conservative state! We've had predominantly republican leadership for decades! Where the heck did all these taxes come from? Here's a hint: conservatives.

cato_the_elder 2 years, 8 months ago

That's interesting. A great deal of criticism is currently being leveled at prior Republican legislatures for the underfunding of KPERS, which is liberalspeak for not taxing the citizenry sufficiently in order to fund KPERS at adequate levels.

Kendall Simmons 2 years, 8 months ago

Excuse me???

"Since women are the primary shoppers in the family, blocking this bill is a direct assault on women"???

There are a lot of "direct assaults on women" by far too many politicians today...but the food sales tax, which effects everyone in a family, is NOT one of them!!

On the other hand, condescending attitudes like this guy with his specious "waging war on women" argument ARE.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 8 months ago

Yes, I was under the impression that men and children eat also. Thanks for backing me up on that one, I was starting to wonder if my perception of reality was actually correct.

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 8 months ago

Kansas is a conservative republican state. So who levied all these taxes that you're complaining about? Lawrence liberals? Nope. Conservative republicans.

tomatogrower 2 years, 8 months ago

I was agreeing with the letter writer until the last part of the letter. Women may have to do most of the food shopping, but I doubt that they eat most of the food. What a ridiculous, shallow statement. What other stereotypes is this guy pushing?

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 8 months ago

He probably thinks that women do most of the cooking and cleaning too.

Matthew Herbert 2 years, 8 months ago

Way to destroy your letter's credibility with your own brand of sexism

Charles L Bloss Jr 2 years, 8 months ago

One very strong reason I am considering moving to TX, is that they have no sales tax on food. In addition, they have a very small property tax on cars. When you turn 65 they freeze property taxes at what they are and never raise them.

tomatogrower 2 years, 8 months ago

The also have a whole lot of oil, and poor schools, but if you are retiring that's the place to go.

tomatogrower 2 years, 8 months ago

Costa Rica and Ecuador are suppose to be pretty cheap too. Too much violence in Mexico now.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 8 months ago

No amount of playing semantics can disguise the idiocy expressed in this letter.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 8 months ago

So, you've gone from shunning me to stalking me.

The pathology behind that is fascinating, don't you think?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 8 months ago

OK, my turn to shun you.

Don't post on my comments any more.

(Can you resist?)

jayhawklawrence 2 years, 8 months ago

You wonder at times whether there is an undiagnosed version of "mad cow" that has infected the population.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 8 months ago

I agree-- all this talk about eliminating the sales tax on food is just smoke and mirrors. It's being tossed out to distract from the real intent-- cutting income taxes for the wealthy.

In the end, we know that under current rules of engagement of Republican class warfare, only the latter will get passed.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 8 months ago

The war is a rout, but that doesn't make it any less of a war.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 2 years, 8 months ago

...so depressing that the hole wins over the fill...that that whole win is so filling...that it whips the whitecaps of reason...that the reach for resources still outstrips the protection of SAME...that which is all good future...

Frederic Gutknecht IV 2 years, 8 months ago

...that which is one for all and all for some supposed you or one...but these are times...these are times that test the means and ways of living and livings...within times within which few are willing to reason out the pain of all, come to burn the directive into shame and death and same old same again...as the same name drops the same.

Jimo 2 years, 8 months ago

You'd have to be a person of remarkable dimwittedness to not grasp the basic principles of mathematics. But then we are talking about wingnuts so there's nothing so remarkable about it.

Only wingnut theology assumes that when people get "to keep" their money that the peoples' government isn't reduced to the effectiveness of the Somalian state.

May Mr. Jambor depart for his Utopia of Somalia on the next airplane instead of making everyone else's life miserable with his complaining. It's one of the few places on earth where "people get to keep what’s theirs" and enjoy all the benefits thereof!

Abandon your hypocrisy, Mr. Jambor, and have the courage of your convictions. Act today!! Mogadishu is quite charming in the springtime.

Stu Clark 2 years, 8 months ago

I think you mean a libertarian paradise!

George Lippencott 2 years, 8 months ago

What hypocrisy. The liberals (my call) do not want to end sales tax on food - a very regressive tax. Why not argue in counter to the governator that we should add at least three new income tax brackets at maybe $50K, $100K and $200K and end sales tax on food. That will not happen either but at least there will be an alternative

classclown 2 years, 8 months ago

"Is the reporter ignorant or just biased?"

==================================================

George Lippencott 2 years, 8 months ago

The lefties once again talk a good line but to cut the sales tax as proposed we either take big hits in education et al or we raise taxes somewhere else. I proposed an answer. Where is the liberal answer.

As always you are critical without substance!

voevoda 2 years, 8 months ago

classclown 2 years, 8 months ago

voevoda (anonymous) says…

Mr. Jambor, If you are so concerned about direct assaults on women, please make you next letter to the editor an impassioned objection to the legislation to complicate women's access to abortion and limit their access to contraception and well-woman health care. If you don't choose to do so, I must conclude that you actually don't care a bit about women's well-being, but just threw in the last segment of your letter to shock and offend female readers. March 19, 2012 at 3:49 p.m.

=======================================

That is really stupid. I like animals. There, I've said it.

Now do you suppose that gives you the right to dictate what my next post will be? If I don't make a post about your particular animal concern, then you will conclude I don't like animals and only made that statement for some nefarious reason?

To me, your post looks really looks like an I D Ten T form that you've taken the time to fill out..

Got any more I D Ten T conclusions that need filing?

voevoda 2 years, 8 months ago

I guess you really are the classclown. Instead of responding to the content of my post--how Mr. Jambor could actually advocate for women, if he chose to-you post silliness.

Richard Heckler 2 years, 8 months ago

Pennsylvania offers no sales tax on food,clothing/shoes

Products Subject to Sales Tax

Nearly all products in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania are subject to the sales tax. Most books and paper products with the exception of textbooks sold by schools, toilet paper, feminine products and diapers are subject to the sales tax.

All jewelry, luggage, hobbies, toys, games, religious products, hair products, home goods, soaps and cleaning supplies are subject to sales tax.

Most business supplies, cosmetics and home garden supplies are subject to the sales tax.

Most clothing (except non-essential clothing or luxury clothing), pre-packaged or prepared foods, farming supplies, baby supplies and medicines are exempt from the sales tax.

Read more: Pennsylvania Sales Tax Law | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_6314252_pennsylvania-sales-tax-law.html#ixzz1pbOHyZSw

George Lippencott 2 years, 8 months ago

I am not after the people here but after our delegation. Stand up and be counted

George Lippencott 2 years, 8 months ago

Mr C I might also observe (again) that eliminating the food tax requires another tax or a big hit in education. Where is your proposal to avoid the latter

deec 2 years, 8 months ago

Start with a sin tax on soda pop, snack foods, and processed meats.