Letters to the Editor

Heavy-handed

March 16, 2012

To the editor:

I am writing to express my extreme opposition to the actions the city is apparently planning to take against the property at 1106 R.I. This is a historic property, and the structure is important to the neighborhood and to the city. Instead of threatening to demolish a historic structure, the city should be stepping in to help the owners overcome the difficulties that they have been experiencing.

If this were a developer asking the city to help him fund his building project by supplying incentives and tax breaks, there would be a very good chance that the developer would receive what he is asking for. When a family who has been in a difficult situation asks the city to just give them more time to do what they are trying to do, the city threatens draconian actions.  I have had personal experience with the sometimes heavy-handed attitude of certain city departments, and I believe this to be one of those occurrences.

The city should help the owners achieve their goals. They should not start the condemnation process on 1106 R.I.

Comments

geoismeo 2 years, 9 months ago

I've been having difficulities paying for and keeping up my house too. Maybe the city should step in and help me out too. LOL

Richard Heckler 2 years, 9 months ago

The letter writer is on the money. I would support such a move. Perhaps creating a Packard museum. Recreate what was there as a point of interest for our tourism market.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 9 months ago

".. I would support such a move..." Get out your checkbook and get to work.

FlintlockRifle 2 years, 9 months ago

This just didn't happen overnight guys, this has been there several years. Like I said, hope whoever does a good job of advertising the sale Packards, and they will come---

Keith 2 years, 9 months ago

Maybe we could declare it yard art, there is a precedent on R. I. street.

Matthew Herbert 2 years, 9 months ago

"historic property". Give me a break. It's an old junkyard that is an eye sore to the community. The 5th amendment use of eminent domain is justified and supported in Kelo v. New London. Old does not equal historic.