Letters to the Editor

Keeping a list

March 13, 2012

To the editor:

I read that the sweeping anti-abortion bill being introduced to the Kansas Legislature will tax the abortion procedure of rape victims or procedures to save a mother’s life. I can see a room full of cigar-smoking MEN sitting in the back rooms with an extensive list of how to continue the war on women, little bit by little bit. It’s a continuing embarrassment that these hacks are doing everything they can think of to make our bounteous state look so small-minded, tight and anti-female. And they do it secretively, like burying this stupid provision in a 69-page bill. I have news for you, boys. We’re keeping lists of who votes for what.

Comments

grammaddy 3 years, 4 months ago

Women vote too.We will remember as well in November.

Brock Masters 3 years, 4 months ago

Right, there are no female legislators and pro-lifers are all men too.

Scott Drummond 3 years, 4 months ago

Been paying attention to this stuff since I was 18 and I got a say. It is a very long list at this point!

Greg Cooper 3 years, 4 months ago

BS. A "sweeping pro-life bill" would take into account the lives of the children who have already been born and are not being cared for. You people are so tender towards a clump of tissue prior to its being born and so terribly unkind after it becomes a human child.

There is nothing so little as a mind that can see only the front end of any issue.

Mixolydian 3 years, 4 months ago

At least the LTE writer didn't say white men, I guess that's a step in the right direction in political conversation, but there's no reason to bring a perfectly good smoke into this.

Leave the cigars alone, cigaraphobes.

beatrice 3 years, 4 months ago

Zombies for Censorship!

Ya gotta love it.

Greg Cooper 3 years, 4 months ago

You know, math, it might be of use for you to forego the "witty" names you assign to your favorite enemies and post something with substance. You have, I assume, a brain, and it seems to me you have, at times, some decent points to make. But, too often, like almost always, you dilute your argument with invective and sarcasm to the point that your comments, if read, are read to be the words of a child denied his popsicle.

Grow up and talk like an adult.

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 4 months ago

ijm, you're an "anonymous" poster (even if there may be a few who suspect your real identity). No one knows your gender for sure (you've never stated it) so I'm curious to know how being referred to as a female is an insult.

Mike Ford 3 years, 4 months ago

awww...math.,..did the truth hurt? why do archie bunkers want in everyone elses business? it's nice to get under the skin of cyber bullies.....did you think you could bully without a rebuttal....awwww.

Pastor_Bedtime 3 years, 4 months ago

Feel free to fight the good fight with your own uterus. All other playing fields simply aren't your turf.

Liberty275 3 years, 4 months ago

"I can see a room full of cigar-smoking MEN sitting in the back rooms with an extensive list of how to continue the war on women"

Cigar-smoking MEN, yes MEN, making laws for women to follow. That is just wrong, right?

If men and women are equal what makes either better or worse at writing law? Do you think a woman will write certain things because of her gender? Do you not see what that implies?

If your house has wheels, you might be a redneck. If you think some opinions are more relevant than others, you are a bigot.

Nest time, complain because we don't elect enough diversity into our government at any level. This piece is just kneejerk hatred.

jhawkinsf 3 years, 4 months ago

The problem is we're not keeping a list. The fact is that the overwhelming number of voters are uninformed of the issues.
We have exactly the government we deserve.

David Reynolds 3 years, 4 months ago

If there was some sanity and objectivity in seeking and administering abortions, this would not be an issue at all.

At 1.2 million abortions a year, & over 50 million abortions since Roe we have gone far beyond any reason to think abortions are administered for "women's health only". I and my family know the issue of women's health regarding abortion, based on actual experience. So please spare me the standard line.

This is a serious issue regarding serious thought. There are legitimate women's health issues & rape is a serious issue. At the same time the death of a fetus is a serious issue as well.

Who speaks for the fetus. Someone has to.

Let's get off the " its my right & its my health so shut up" only thinking of my side mantra. The fetus is a living breathing, feeding, feeling being also & when it is aborted it dies.

The discussion should be focused on defining legitimate cases where abortion is necessary & thus allowed. There are two sides to the issue. In the absence of such rationality governments must act to provide sense to this totally irrational behavior.

deec 3 years, 4 months ago

It is impossible for an embryo or fetus to be a "living breathing, feeding, feeling being" prior to the actual development of those body parts and exit from the womb. They do not breath in utero, as they would drown once the lungs have actually developed. They do not eat, as no sustenance is entering the mouth. There is no food inside a uterus. Physical feelings, like pain cannot happen unless the neurological pathways are sufficiently developed. Please stop pretending that your desire to control other women's fertility is based on anything other than your personal opinion, and that includes your opinions about religion. My body belongs to me exclusively.

David Reynolds 3 years, 4 months ago

Ever hear of an umbilical chord? That is how the fetus takes nourishment & relieves itself if any waste. Yes fetuses do feel.

kernal 3 years, 4 months ago

Perhaps part of the problem is many of the male, and a few of the female, legislators are too young to remember what it was like when abortions by the legitimate medical profession were banned. Perhaps they need some remedial history lessons on that.

Agnes 3 years, 4 months ago

If any young girl or woman in my family ever chooses to have an abortion, whatever the reason, I will beg, borrow, or steal enough money to take us anywhere in the world we need to go to have a safe procedure! I don't want any person or entity, especially the government or someone else's church, to make these decisions for MY family!