Letters to the Editor

Word offends

March 10, 2012

To the editor:

I was offended by Cathy Hamilton’s repeated use of the word “freaking” in her column in the March 3 edition of the Journal-World.

The objectionable word is not only a synonym for a common, vulgar word. It is also sophomoric on the part of a writer of Mrs. Hamilton’s perceived refinement and local fame. Instead of setting a good example for her readers, she has chosen a word used by adolescents to impress their peers. Why?

Comments

cato_the_elder 3 years, 3 months ago

She was just channelling Roy Williams. He used to say that all the time.

David Dunlap 3 years, 3 months ago

Some people complain about every-effing-thing.

Irenaku 3 years, 3 months ago

hehe..nice! I just used that same effing word on my effing facebook page to post about how effing proud I am of my kid for his recent accomplishments. At first I was like "should I use this word?' And then I was like "eff it, I'm using it" :)

Flap Doodle 3 years, 3 months ago

Somebody reads Cathy Hamilton's columns?

friendlyjhawk 3 years, 3 months ago

Not unless they are forced to read them :)

Armstrong 3 years, 3 months ago

Yep Effingham is the cultural mecca of society. Lived 30 miles from there

Liberty275 3 years, 3 months ago

One of the local radio stations say's "effingham" every other song. My ears hear that word and I can't help but think of porcine congress. And I don't mean an all-pig legislature like we've grown used to. :-)

Liberty275 3 years, 3 months ago

One should be proud of oneself. If "hicking" was a word, I'd be cool with it. As a matter of fact, I think we should allow the term "hick-rigging" to supersede all previous versions referring to a quick and inexpensive repair. Give a hick like me a roll of bailing wire (aka Motorcraft part number 1) and we can fix anything.

Liberty275 3 years, 3 months ago

The letter writer needs to grow some skin if they find any word offensive.

Darrell Lea 3 years, 3 months ago

I'm not usually offended by coarse language in articles like the one referenced by the letter writer. However, I have to agree that some of the fundamental points the letter writer makes are correct. The dictionary definition of "freaking" leaves little wiggle room:

freaking |ˈfrēkən; -ki ng | adjective informal used as a euphemism for “f***ing” : "I'm going out of my freaking mind!"

The referenced quotes from the article are:

"... but a life of leisure is definitely in the cards. Hip, hip, hoo-freaking-ray!!!"

"The reality is: I have no freaking clue."

"Why do you think there are 28 freaking unfinished projects in my bedroom alone right now? It’s taking me 15 years to organize one freaking closet!!"

Then, halfway through the article, the context changes:

"Clearly, I’m freaking out over the notion of a permanent sabbatical."

"... then — banished to his study by my mother (who was obviously freaking out, too) — accepted a volunteer post that occupied every 9-to-5 moment spent not puttering on the golf course."

A-HA! Maybe it was a literary device all along! Here's the dictionary definition of freak-out: freak-out noun informal a wildly irrational reaction or spell of behavior.

Speaking of wildly irrational, was anybody bothered by this bit of TMI, appearing later in the piece:

"A sense of dread washed over me. Or was that the coffee? I suddenly had to pee."

deec 3 years, 3 months ago

If the letter writer is offended by the word, why did they keep reading after it made its first appearance? You're offended? Stop reading now.

Bassetlover 3 years, 3 months ago

Wow. Writing a LTE about being offended by a word written by the always classy Cathy. Eva clearly has too much freakin' time on her hands.

Ragingbear 3 years, 3 months ago

We should also ban the use of the letter "P" in both print and speech, as I don't approve of it.

deec 3 years, 3 months ago

And "X". It has raunchy connotations.

paisley 3 years, 3 months ago

I find the word offensive as well, in any form it may take.

Bob Forer 3 years, 3 months ago

I was not at all offended. And I did find it a little annoying, but mostly sophomoric.

pace 3 years, 3 months ago

I like the word.it is strong, colorful and expressive. I don't quite know how words get to be such taboo. It is interesting that curse words appear in all languages and seem to have a special spot in the brain. It doesn't piss me off. My mom didn't let people say "it pisses me off" I find the letter sweet and kind of awful. The old days where certain people would sit in judgement of every phrase and turn. It is both sad and great, that such pursed lipped self righteousness is laughed at now.

pace 3 years, 3 months ago

Liberty275 3 years, 3 months ago

"Freaking" is just a silly way on not saying but meaning a word Cathy Hamilton probably finds offensive. That's the problem with allowing any word to be offensive, pretty soon your word is on the chopping block.

pace 3 years, 3 months ago

Speaking of words I don't like. "Actually" is tired, and "I actually" sucks air out of the room. "Very" distracts, or it is very, very boring , and "really" is right up there.