Letters to the Editor

Word offends

March 10, 2012

To the editor:

I was offended by Cathy Hamilton’s repeated use of the word “freaking” in her column in the March 3 edition of the Journal-World.

The objectionable word is not only a synonym for a common, vulgar word. It is also sophomoric on the part of a writer of Mrs. Hamilton’s perceived refinement and local fame. Instead of setting a good example for her readers, she has chosen a word used by adolescents to impress their peers. Why?

Comments

pace 2 years, 1 month ago

Speaking of words I don't like. "Actually" is tired, and "I actually" sucks air out of the room. "Very" distracts, or it is very, very boring , and "really" is right up there.

Paul R Getto 2 years, 1 month ago

I like "fizzling" myself. This discussion reminds me of the old days when "zounds" was controversial.

pace 2 years, 1 month ago

I like the word.it is strong, colorful and expressive. I don't quite know how words get to be such taboo. It is interesting that curse words appear in all languages and seem to have a special spot in the brain. It doesn't piss me off. My mom didn't let people say "it pisses me off" I find the letter sweet and kind of awful. The old days where certain people would sit in judgement of every phrase and turn. It is both sad and great, that such pursed lipped self righteousness is laughed at now.

pace 2 years, 1 month ago

Bob Forer 2 years, 1 month ago

I was not at all offended. And I did find it a little annoying, but mostly sophomoric.

paisley 2 years, 1 month ago

I find the word offensive as well, in any form it may take.

observant 2 years, 1 month ago

Don't think Cathy has ever been considered a journalist.

Ragingbear 2 years, 1 month ago

We should also ban the use of the letter "P" in both print and speech, as I don't approve of it.

Bassetlover 2 years, 1 month ago

Wow. Writing a LTE about being offended by a word written by the always classy Cathy. Eva clearly has too much freakin' time on her hands.

deec 2 years, 1 month ago

If the letter writer is offended by the word, why did they keep reading after it made its first appearance? You're offended? Stop reading now.

Alison Carter 2 years, 1 month ago

Well, sugar! Clean it up, Cathy!

Darrell Lea 2 years, 1 month ago

I'm not usually offended by coarse language in articles like the one referenced by the letter writer. However, I have to agree that some of the fundamental points the letter writer makes are correct. The dictionary definition of "freaking" leaves little wiggle room:

freaking |ˈfrēkən; -ki ng | adjective informal used as a euphemism for “f***ing” : "I'm going out of my freaking mind!"

The referenced quotes from the article are:

"... but a life of leisure is definitely in the cards. Hip, hip, hoo-freaking-ray!!!"

"The reality is: I have no freaking clue."

"Why do you think there are 28 freaking unfinished projects in my bedroom alone right now? It’s taking me 15 years to organize one freaking closet!!"

Then, halfway through the article, the context changes:

"Clearly, I’m freaking out over the notion of a permanent sabbatical."

"... then — banished to his study by my mother (who was obviously freaking out, too) — accepted a volunteer post that occupied every 9-to-5 moment spent not puttering on the golf course."

A-HA! Maybe it was a literary device all along! Here's the dictionary definition of freak-out: freak-out noun informal a wildly irrational reaction or spell of behavior.

Speaking of wildly irrational, was anybody bothered by this bit of TMI, appearing later in the piece:

"A sense of dread washed over me. Or was that the coffee? I suddenly had to pee."

Liberty275 2 years, 1 month ago

The letter writer needs to grow some skin if they find any word offensive.

FalseHopeNoChange 2 years, 1 month ago

I am a "Freak" and don't mind the word at all.

its_just_math 2 years, 1 month ago

Maybe she should move to Effingham Illinois. Then maybe she'd think twice about using these vulgarities.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 1 month ago

Somebody reads Cathy Hamilton's columns?

David Dunlap 2 years, 1 month ago

Some people complain about every-effing-thing.

cato_the_elder 2 years, 1 month ago

She was just channelling Roy Williams. He used to say that all the time.