Letters to the Editor

Run by religion?

March 8, 2012

To the editor:

This is in response to Don Collins’ letter in the March 3 Public Forum: I do not expect you to live your life as I live mine. I do not expect you to agree with it or even remain politely silent about things that are none of your business. What I expect is that you will not pass laws inflicting your morality and beliefs on me.

I would expect that anyone who realizes what our country was founded to be would also understand that. Or do you need a reminder about what happens when a country is run by religion?

Comments

Michael LoBurgio 3 years ago

Brownbacks Abortion bill raises KU Med accreditation concerns http://bit.ly/w9hlOJ #heblowsalot

Terri2 3 years ago

"What I expect is that you will not pass laws inflicting your morality and beliefs on me."

But it's OK for you to pass laws that inflict your morality and beliefs on me? Maybe you need a reminder about what happens when governments try to kick religion out of the country.

Terri McLaughlin

Crazy_Larry 3 years ago

Can you name one law whereby an atheist's morality and belief system has been inflicted upon you? As far as I know, there's no law demanding you receive an abortion or take contraception. And I would like to be reminded of what happens when government kicks religion out of the country. Isn't that one of the main reasons why the USA was founded? To kick the Church of England out of the scene?

Scribeoflight 3 years ago

A law allowing me to live and act according to my will, even if it offends you, is a very different thing than a law preventing me from doing so, because it offends you.

One of those, you have to live with. The other I must fight against.

Patricia Davis 3 years ago

Terri's hysterical rant with no logic whatsoever is a perfect example of brainwashed-braindead religious "education." Terri has the right in this country to follow her religion. People like Terri have a very hard time in letting me follow mine which is no religion. Thomas Jefferson would be deeply saddened that this country founded on religious FREEDOM not on religion has in over 200 years become a country of brainwashed nonthinking zealots.

Abdu Omar 3 years ago

O you who reject faith! I worship not that which you worship, Nor will you worship that which I worship. And I will not worship that which you have been wont to worship, Nor will you worship that which I worship. To you your religion, and to me mine.

Scribeoflight 3 years ago

And the law to neither, but for the good and the rights of all who would be free.