Letters to the Editor

Family planning

March 6, 2012

To the editor:

It’s unfortunate that folks such as Craig Tucker, Nancy Pelosi and Kathleen Sebelius continue to contribute to misunderstandings in the public arena on teachings of the Catholic Church regarding family planning. There is absolutely nothing in church teaching that requires or encourages couples to have as many children as possible.

The church views marital relations holistically in terms of both their life-giving and love-giving aspects. The Catholic Church teaches responsible parenthood and that couples may regulate the births of children but without resorting to artificial contraception or abortion.

Having taught hundreds of couples a natural method of family planning developed by international medical professionals and promoted worldwide by the church, we can testify that such natural methods are just as effective as any chemical or mechanical means in regulating births with the added advantage of assisting many couples who have difficulty in becoming pregnant. By the way, Ms. Pelosi, it is not the “rhythm method” — that was discarded over 40 years ago.

Comments

George Lippencott 2 years, 1 month ago

I missed a comment I believe is important. After several hundred posts the flavor of the issue gets lost/changed/whatever. I want to be clear.

I do not consider the denial of NECESSARY medial services desirable. If a medical institution is doing so that should be changed. If an insurance company is doing so and the potential patient is aware or should be aware that some particular service is not covered that falls on the patient. If the employer does not provide insurance that covers a particular service the employee should make other arrangements or work somewhere else.

I believe that if the AFCA survives the legal challenges it will address this matter and the ability of the government to mandate specific requirement on individuals and businesses will be resolved. Within those challenges are those associated with religious beliefs?

Until that time there is no legitimate argument that anybody is being denied anything because basically there is no right to demand that an employer provide coverage for specific elective medical care.

IMHO this entire thread is based on a false premise to inflame passions in support of a specific political agenda.

George Lippencott 2 years, 1 month ago

I know that and did not say otherwise. The point was that most sizable (and many small) charities are non profit corporation so your issue about corporations is a red heron. Tell me what the alternatives are - sole proprietor?

George Lippencott 2 years, 1 month ago

Yes you should because you are not considering the nature of the corporation - profit and not for profit. Try operating a large hospital as an unincorporated activity). Most church functions are not for profit and religious affiliated. These church functions have existed for decades without the government interfering with their religious mission.

I think of corporations in the same sense as many on this list – for profit activities working for their shareholders. I do not consider not for profits true corporations even though the law basically treats them that way but remember there is a real distinction between not for profit and for [profit.

In those instances where the church is making a profit (not proceeds plowed back into the operation of the charitable activity) I agree with you. It is no longer a religious entity and should be treated as all else. I do not believe this case is the norm.

I also remind you that we are not just talking hospitals but charities and educational institutions of all sorts with one of the larger being Catholic Charities

George Lippencott 2 years, 1 month ago

I also note that providing care to the sick and education to those seeking it is part of the mission of the church. It has been doing it with minimal government intervention for hundreds and hundreds of years.

Just where do you get off defining works of mercy as something a religion can not provide without having to agree to government intervention challenging the basic teaching of the church?

George Lippencott 2 years, 1 month ago

progressive_thinker (anonymous) replies…et al

"despicable"

Moderate Responds:

Wonderful speech. I agree mostly.

The Catholic Church is not a corporation. Most corporations already provide the services you note. Sounds to me like all you have is a speech not a real issue.

beatrice 2 years, 1 month ago

One thing I can walk away here with is, the Pope is most assuredly one big giant idiot with all caps. That man is an astounding idiot. I don't think a bigger idiot has ever been elected to position of Pope office, not even John Paul. No words I can muster could even begin to remotely describe how much of an idiot I think the Pope is. I mean, that man is an idiot extraordinaire. To say he is a world-class idiot is a hugely vast understatement and that's putting it mildly. IDIOT!

Hey, thanks Alex, that was fun! Calling the Pope an IDIOT, even in all caps was a hoot.

Of course, I don't believe any of it and apologize for insulting people. I don't really believe the Pope is any of the things above. I am just copying math's comments earlier about Nancy Pelosi and replacing them with the public figure of the Pope, all because Alex says it is fine and dandy.

Well, he asked for it. Happy new civil discourse.

Katara 2 years, 1 month ago

NFP is dependent on the woman's cycle to be regular. There are many things that can knock a woman's cycle out of whack.

Weight gain Weight loss PCOS diabetes stress general illness depression hormonal imbalance breastfeeding eating disorders

just to name a few...

verity 2 years, 1 month ago

I think it's rather arrogant to call the Catholic Church "the Church."

Richard Heckler 2 years, 1 month ago

We're constantly bombarded as to the alleged negative aspects of sex. The positives never seem to make headlines.

In 1991 Wendy Maltz LCSW developed the HealthySex™ nightshirt to help survivors of sexual abuse and others understand healthy sexuality. The nightshirt evolved from a workshop exercise in which participants brainstormed positive qualities of sex.

As you read the qualities below, identify which ones are present and true in your sexual relating. If you identify qualities that are often lacking, you may want to concentrate on learning more about them and integrating these qualities into your lovemaking in the future. http://www.healthysex.com/page/healthy-sex-exercise/

10 Surprising Health Benefits of Sex The health benefits of sex extend well beyond the bedroom. Turns out sex is good for you in ways you may never have imagined. By Kathleen Doheny http://www.webmd.com/sex-relationships/features/10-surprising-health-benefits-of-sex

Forget Viagara....go natural: New Chapter Organics Multi Vitamin for men and women. Every Man II and Every Woman II .

Richard Heckler 2 years, 1 month ago

Pro-Choice/Pro Life

I've never met anyone who was pro abortion. Pro choice is not pro abortion. It is simply being smart enough to realize that medical procedures/surgeries when necessary are best left performed by those trained to do so in the proper facilities.

It's is time for the politicians to step aside and leave the practice of medical procedures to the medical profession.

Are politicians the moral giants of our time......hardly! Yet too damn many are against providing comprehensive sex/parenting education.

Hopefully children could one day feel comfortable to discuss openly:

• Abortion
  • Body Image
  • Emergency Contraception (Morning After Pill)
  • Men's Sexual Health
  • Pregnancy
  • Relationships
  • Sex & Sexuality
  • Sexual Orientation & Gender * Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
  • Women's Health

• Birth Control = abortion prevention http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/index.htm

jayhawklawrence 2 years, 1 month ago

Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

The Catholic Church has enough issues they need to address internally as a church without getting caught up in the political nonsense, which is what this is.

And those who like to pretend they represent the views of the Catholic Church don't represent the nearly 750 million Catholics worldwide because every Catholic seems to have their own ideas about these issues and oftentimes they don't agree with what is coming out of the Vatican.

If certain Republican candidates want to wrap themselves in a facade of morality and righteousness, I think it makes the Catholic Church look bad when they are so willing to cooperate.

somedude20 2 years, 1 month ago

The church should be more worried about staying out of boys than they should about keeping b/c out of ours

You got to pay the troll toll....

FalseHopeNoChange 2 years, 1 month ago

Huh? What? you don't say...well I'll be.....Dang those Catholics! The Obamacare to the rescue for "women"

Low-income women are being hurt by having important preventative tests cut to make way for Obamacare’s unnecessary demands, such as for employer insurance to cover all birth control prescriptions

Cancer Screening Budget Cuts May Prove Deadly for Some Women

tomatogrower 2 years, 1 month ago

Isn't it funny how conservatives put down people who have children they can't afford, but want to make it hard to get birth control. Go figure. And it's really sad that there are some Catholics who would be happy if their kind of birth control was mandated. We are not a Catholic nation. We can choose whatever birth control works for us. I'm glad your's works for you.

deec 2 years, 1 month ago

How much, if anything, does the letter writer charge to teach NFP? If there is a charge, seems like a teeny conflict of interest touting its benefits.

Armstrong 2 years, 1 month ago

I have a question for the athiest crowd. If you could careless about what the church says and apparently don't listen anyway, why the big fuss over this post?

mom_of_three 2 years, 1 month ago

I think all these candidates should take a history test. That would thin out the herd real quick. Santorum would be gone before it was graded.

kansanbygrace 2 years, 1 month ago

While visiting some friends, a young couple recently married, we visited their spiritual counselor, a monastic brother. In the conversation, he admonished them to "take appropriate steps" to not get pregnant yet, until they had stabilized in their new home and jobs. He emphasized that NFP did not have his confidence. He said that the people who used it were often called one thing: Parents. That coming from one of the horse's molars.

mcmandy 2 years, 1 month ago

I've actually been doing some research into the FAM method lately. True, its not the same as the rhythm method. I'm not sold on it or convinced its bogus yet. It makes a lot of sense, but has a heavy reliance on temperature and mine like to fluctuate a LOT. My opinion on it right now is that it truly doesn't work for everyone. I'm just sick of religious crazies (note--the crazies, not the rational ones) insinuating that I'm immoral because I'm in a relationship with my husband and we have the foresight to know we don't want kids until we can support them. I've not been thrilled with Obama, but the GOP leaves me no choice but to vote for him simply because of their stance on reproductive rights.

Patricia Davis 2 years, 1 month ago

As with all things, you have have the right to practice whatever type of birth control you believe conforms to your religious beliefs. However, the flapdoodle starts when you insist that your religious beliefs should apply to everyone. If some couples choose to live in harmony with more effective birth control and science and conscience approve, you need to accept the world is a bigger place than the Catholic church.

suzybell 2 years, 1 month ago

To "jafs" -- without getting too involved in Church teachings, the basic distinction is that marital relations must not separate the life-giving from the love-giving aspects. If your knowledge of your fertility cycle indicates that an act of intercourse would likely lead to conception AND you as a couple have made the decision NOT to become pregnant at that stage in your life, you CHOOSE not to have intercourse at that point in time. You live in harmony your naturally occurring cycle of fertility and non-fertility as a couple. I hate to say it, but it is "as simple as that." The real decision is accepting your cyclic pattern of fertility as part of your being a couple. Thanks for your interest!

jafs 2 years, 1 month ago

From contraception.about:

With perfect use, 3-5/100 women will become pregnant using natural methods of birth control.

This is 3-5 times less effective than the Pill.

suzybell 2 years, 1 month ago

Thanks to "Kansas Person" providing some links on the effectiveness studies. You may also find more information at http://www.popepaulvi.com/ the institute directed by Thomas Hilgers, MD, in Omaha, Nebraska. Dr. Hilgers, among many others, has continued the research in human reproduction begun by Drs. John and Lynn Billings of Australia as well as European scientists--the heading of the website "Building a Culture of Life in Women's Healthcare" says it all.

And for "Its_just_math" -- please do some research on this matter. "coitus interuptus" also went out the window as a method with any effectiveness about the same time as the "rhythm method" -- following Humanae Vitae in 1968 Catholic physicians and scientists worldwide began developing more effective means of regulating births using knowledge about the fertility cycle and its symptomatic indications. They work and promote marital health to boot. Do some research on the divorce rate for couples practicing NFP!

jafs 2 years, 1 month ago

Another thought.

I wonder why the "natural" methods are ok with the Church - they do the same thing as many other forms of birth control - they prevent eggs from being fertilized.

If it's ok to do that by simply not having sex during ovulation, why isn't it ok to do that by other means?

beatrice 2 years, 1 month ago

I want to see some evidence to support the letter writer's claim. Such statements are dangerous and sex leads to pregnancy. Further, why should anyone trust comments on anthing having to do with sex education and birth control from an organization run by (supposed) celebates? Also, if the desired result is to not get pregnant, who cares about the method?

I am still stunned that the GOP is taking the apparent stand against birth control in an election year. Do they think women don't vote?

somedude20 2 years, 1 month ago

Thousands of teen parents can attest to how well making the sex without b/c worked for them. Hey, this "god" of yours gave me this thing so it would be an insult to him not to use it, right?

its_just_math 2 years, 1 month ago

One thing I can walk away here with is, Nancy Pelosi is most assuredly one big giant idiot with all caps. That woman is an astounding idiot. I don't think a bigger idiot has ever been elected to public office, not even W snicker. No words I can muster could even begin to remotely describe how much of an idiot I think Pelosi is. I mean, that woman is an idiot extraordinaire. To say she is a world-class idiot is a hugely vast understatement and that's putting it mildly. IDIOT!

Roland Gunslinger 2 years, 1 month ago

It's true! It works! Just ask the Duggars.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 1 month ago

I wonder how many unplanned pregnancies have resulted among couples using this so-called birth-control method.

jafs 2 years, 1 month ago

I'd really like to see some studies showing that these methods are as effective as other birth control methods, if that's true.

its_just_math 2 years, 1 month ago

"International medical professionals" came up with coitus interruptus? How much grant money did it take to come up with that brilliant conclusion? lol!

(This post pre-removed for---umm, not sure)

usnsnp 2 years, 1 month ago

Good point. But it should be up to the individual woman to decide how she should "regulate the birth of children" and not a religion or the government making that dicision.

rtwngr 2 years, 1 month ago

Thank you, Nancy and Bill. Well said.